Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spyro the Dragon: Treasure Trilogy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Sweet! Haven't played a Spyro game since the PS1 I think. Always liked them. Hopefully it's as good as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Good news but I abhor timed exclusives. Will happily wait for a Switch release.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,216 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Only ever played the demo of the first game, so don't have the nostalgia factor that made Crash Bandicoot a day one purchase. Will have to see what the reviews and all are like. Is it Vicarious Visions again?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Did this happen?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They were a poor man's Mario 64 and going back to them there's a lot of exposition in the games that really bogs them down. Still they are fun and if it's the same bargain price as Crash then I can't really complain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Did this happen?

Not yet, Kotaku and a few other places have said a reveal is coming this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They were a poor man's Mario 64 and going back to them there's a lot of exposition in the games that really bogs them down. Still they are fun and if it's the same bargain price as Crash then I can't really complain.

:confused:
    Genuinely have never heard anyone compare them; its not really comparable to Mario either. You are a dragon that can fly over short distances, breath's fire, have a running charging move and rescue dragons trapped in stone.

if it's the same bargain price as Crash then I can't really complain.

I know you will though:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Screenshots have leaked, supposedly releasing in September

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/04/now_spyro_trilogy_screenshots_have_leaked_online

Not a timed exclusive as was rumored, launches simultaneously on ps4 and xbone. No mention of switch though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

ERG89 wrote: »
    :confused:
    Genuinely have never heard anyone compare them; its not really comparable to Mario either.
    I think a poor man's Mario 64 is very accurate, it was a 3d platformer at a time when there was very few 3d platformers is all thats needed for comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Cynortas

I am surprisingly excited by this news used to play lots of spyro and crash back in the day. Perfect time to introduce it to my little one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Greyfox wrote:
    I think a poor man's Mario 64 is very accurate, it was a 3d platformer at a time when there was very few 3d platformers is all thats needed for comparison.

That gen had Croc, Crash, Banjo, DK64, Gex, Rayman, Ape Escape, Glover, Bubsy & every kids movie was a 3D platformer. Many of those had sequels, there was not very few, too many if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Not everyone had an N64. They were fine. Not my cup of tea though.
    Also..as mentioned by another, I've never heard the 2 games compared before.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well the first was definitely compared to it at the time. It was the first big 3D platformer on PS1 that was pushed by sony and wasn't crap. Not a bad alternative either. I'd take Rayman 2 over it on PS1.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 PetroleumJello

Looking forward to this, the screenshots looked great, would love a Switch version.

I'd say it's Vicarious again doing the conversion work, has the same look as the Crash engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I'd say it's Vicarious again doing the conversion work, has the same look as the Crash engine.
    It's Toys For Bob this time around, the guys behind the Skylanders series.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

ERG89 wrote: »
    That gen had Croc, Crash, Banjo, DK64, Gex, Rayman, Ape Escape, Glover, Bubsy & every kids movie was a 3D platformer. Many of those had sequels, there was not very few, too many if any.

Both Spyro and Mario had that open plan sort of level design to them though.

Gex was really low rent so it's hard to bring it in. Spyro was well polished in comparison.

Honestly I really like the weird LOD techniques in the old Spyros. It's mostly hardware dictated that they had to do it like that but it gives it a real surreal beauty missing in these extremely high-quality remakes.

Combined with the soundtrack from that guy from The Police it was a cool thing, the first 2 anyway.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'm hopeless at the flying parts of the game. Anyone free to log onto my account and finish them for me? I'll repay the favour some way.

• Advertisement

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Not everyone had an N64. They were fine. Not my cup of tea though.
    Also..as mentioned by another, I've never heard the 2 games compared before.

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/spyro-the-dragon-review/1900-2546069/

Advertisement