Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What reg plate for 1989

• 14-03-2018 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

So I'm not entirely sure on the rules, and I can't find anything definitive on citizensinformation, Wikipedia, etc., but what's the appropriate reg style for a 1989 car?

The one currently installed is a standard modern plate, with the IRL and EU marking to the left, county name above in Irish, etc.

I'm wondering whether one of these would be more appropriate, style/period wise?

320px-Irish_license_plate_1987-1991.jpg

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

would be perfect, here's my Kadett new in 1989

kadett.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭w124man

Isambard wrote: »

kadett.jpg

That's the correct font and style. Perfect!

picture taken in 1989 so it should be, mind you it had FOR REG "plates" for a few weeks....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭Silvera

oknepop wrote: »
    So I'm not entirely sure on the rules, and I can't find anything definitive on citizensinformation, Wikipedia, etc., but what's the appropriate reg style for a 1989 car?

The one currently installed is a standard modern plate, with the IRL and EU marking to the left, county name above in Irish, etc.

I'm wondering whether one of these would be more appropriate, style/period wise?

320px-Irish_license_plate_1987-1991.jpg

Thanks

Eireplates make those style of plates

If you use the current Euro Plate font - its called 'Number Plate' oddly - and blow it up to size 80 (80mm) its the perfect font for 87 to 90 plates. Just leave the ' - ' out. I made that mistake but have since got new plates without the ' - '

IMG_3310a.jpg

• Advertisement

w124man wrote: »
    If you use the current Euro Plate font - its called 'Number Plate' oddly - and blow it up to size 80 (80mm) its the perfect font for 87 to 90 plates. Just leave the ' - ' out. I made that mistake but have since got new plates without the ' - '

IMG_3310a.jpg

you are lucky to have the "ones" in your number, at least it doesn't look too hideous

I was given the option of a ZV plate as well !! 11000 isn't too bad in reality!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

So, just a quick question. To pass the NCT, does a 1990 reg car have to have the IRL on the plate, with the county in Irish ?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭oknepop

Thanks for all the useful responses, think I'll order a set from Eireplates.
    So, just a quick question. To pass the NCT, does a 1990 reg car have to have the IRL on the plate, with the county in Irish ?

I'd be interested in this too. In addition, if driving the car abroad, say to the UK or France, do you need to have europlates, or will the pre-91 style still be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

oknepop wrote: »
    ... I can't find anything definitive on citizensinformation, Wikipedia, etc., but what's the appropriate reg style for a 1989 car?....
    It's set out in Statute Instrument No. 441 of 1986 (Road vehicles Registration and Licencing Regulations).
    1. (a) Where the identification mark contains a single letter index mark it shall, at the option of the owner, be arranged in conformity with either DIAGRAM No. 5 or DIAGRAM No. 6 shown above.

(b) Where the identification mark contains a two letter index mark it shall, at the option of the owner, be arranged in conformity with either DIAGRAM No. 7 or DIAGRAM No. 8 shown above.

2. The identification mark may be exhibited on a metal or plastic plate or in the case of a large public service vehicle, it may be illuminated by translucency or transparency.

3. Where the identification mark is exhibited on a metal plate, the surface shall be constructed of white reflex reflective material and the identification mark shall be formed of black letters and figures which shall be embossed by being raised above the surface of the reflex reflective material and form part of the plate.

4. (1) Subject to sub-paragraphs (2) and (3) of this paragraph, where the identification mark is exhibited on a plastic plate the identification mark shall be exhibited on white reflex reflective material which shall be affixed with an adhesive substance to the rear of the plate and be so affixed that it cannot be readily detached therefrom.

(2) The identification mark exhibited on a plastic plate in accordance with sub-paragraph (1) of this paragraph, shall be so exhibited that it can be clearly read from the front of the mark as black letters and figures on a white reflex reflective material.

(3) A plastic plate shall be constructed of transparent material of at least 2.5 millimetres in thickness.

(4) In the case of a large public service vehicle, where the identification mark is so constructed and used that it is illuminated by transparency or translucency the letters and figures shall, when so illuminated during lighting-up hours appear, in the case of the front identification mark, white, and in the case of the rear identification mark, white. At all other times the letters and figures shall appear white against a black background.

5. Subject to the provisions of paragraph 9 of this Part of this Schedule, all letters and figures of an identification mark shall be at least 81 millimetres high and be of uniform height; every part of every letter and figure shall be at least 12 millimetres broad and the total width of the space taken by every letter or figure, except in the case of the letter "I" or the figure "1", shall be at least 48 millimetres.

6. Subject to the provisions of paragraph 9 of this Part of this Schedule, in an identification mark there shall be a margin between the nearest part of any letter or figure and the top or bottom of the surface of white reflex reflective material upon which the identification mark appears, of at least 8 millimetres and between the nearest part of any letter or figure and the sides of the surface of white reflex reflecting material, of at least 8 millimetres.

7. Subject to the provisions of paragraph 9 of this Part of this Schedule, in an identification plate;

(a) the space between the nearest parts of adjoining figures shall be uniform and be at least 8 millimetres;

(b) the space between the nearest parts of adjoining letters shall be equal to the space between adjoining figures;

(c) the space between the index mark and adjoining figures shall be three times the space between the nearest part of adjoining figures.

8. Subject to the provisions of paragraph 9 of this Part of this Schedule, where the identification mark is arranged in accordance with DIAGRAM No. 5 or DIAGRAM No. 7 shown above, the space between the upper and lower line shall be at least 13 millimetres.

• Advertisement

Quick answer. No! The Euro plates came into effect on 01/01/1991

If you go abroad you can get an IRL sticker and stick it on the boot / back window

The font in the OP post was never used here between 1987 to 1990. Your local motor factor can make up a set of plate for you without the IRL blue strip

If you go abroad you can get an IRL sticker and stick it on the boot / back window

The font in the OP post was never used here between 1987 to 1990. Your local motor factor can make up a set of plate for you without the IRL blue strip

quite right, my 87 has an IRL sticker for this reason.

Eireplates are quite good at making the right plate for the year I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Nice one. I can go with the older plate so. The same font as Isambard's kadett I assume, was the correct font?

Nice one. I can go with the older plate so. The same font as Isambard's kadett I assume, was the correct font?

Yup!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,547 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Isambard wrote: »

kadett.jpg
    That's the correct font and style. Perfect!

The missus even has the period correct hairdo :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭bennya

The font in the OP post was never used here between 1987 to 1990.

I beg to differ :)

Screen-Shot-2013-02-15-at-10.42.26.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

In 1987 when the 'new' type plates appeared, the dealership I worked for bought a machine from a company called UTSCH. Consisting of two machines, one to stamp the plate, and the second a 'roller' to print. It made plates the same as the OP's. In fact, that plate could have been made by us for all we know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

The original plates on my carina;

20180326_204702.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

Original 1990 plate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭bennya

As with the 1991+ EU plates, there were a few common and legal styles used between 1988 and 1990 - the ones in the OP and the last two posts all being legitimate examples. SmartinMartin's were the most common as far as I remember though, but that's not to invalidate the others.

• Advertisement
Advertisement