Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quote leo 2040 plan & population increase of 35k

• 09-03-2018 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

How is this possible to accommodate a 35k increase in population of waterford city as regards services, housing etc..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

I dread to think what the traffic will be like considering it's already gridlock on every road in and out of the city every morning, afternoon and evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭spaceCreated

I dread to think what the traffic will be like considering it's already gridlock on every road in and out of the city every morning, afternoon and evening.

I feel like you haven't lived anywhere outside of Waterford

I feel like you haven't lived anywhere outside of Waterford

Whats your point?
    Other cities have it worse so we don't have to worry yeah? Grand. Typical Irish attitude and that's how it gets worse because lack of planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Whats your point?
    Other cities have it worse so we don't have to worry yeah? Grand. Typical Irish attitude and that's how it gets worse because lack of planning.

I'd say his point was that its hardly gridlock.

longshanks wrote: »

Yeah but the OP asked a question. How will the city accomodate and extra 35k people.
    In the mornings the traffic is backed up from the newrath roundabout to the trainstation, and similarly is backed up from the ferrybank side.
    Traffic coming in from the dunmore road in the morning backs up considerably.
    It can take 45minutes to an hour to get down from ardkeen onto lombard street and up the quays in the evening and similarly coming in from WIT to parnell St to the quays. Busses are never on time either due to this.
    You have what about 9 or more schools/colleges around the peoples park area.

The quays are down to one lane and that's caused some stir and problems.

Yeah we should all be taking the ring road if possible, but then you have the ring road down to one lane from before tesco to the hospital and each roundabout gets quite congested. They're not designed that traffic can go straight ahead in both lanes at each roundabout, too small.

While it's not gridlock as it is in other cities, it's definitely not like traffic flows well in the city at peak hours.

With an extra 35k people, and little or no room for increased expansion or capacity on the roads then it will be gridlock by the time we get to 2040.

Thats my point. No need to be smart about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Deiseen

longshanks wrote: »

Yeah but the OP asked a question. How will the city accomodate and extra 35k people.
    In the mornings the traffic is backed up from the newrath roundabout to the trainstation, and similarly is backed up from the ferrybank side.
    It can take 45minutes to an hour to get down from ardkeen onto lombard street and up the quays in the evening and similarly coming in from WIT to parnell St to the quays. Busses are never on time either due to this.

Yeah we should all be taking the ring road if possible, but then you have the ring road down to one lane from before tesco to the hospital and each roundabout gets quite congested. They're not designed that traffic can go straight ahead in both lanes at each roundabout, too small.

While it's not gridlock as it is in other cities, it's definitely not like traffic flows well in the city at peak hours.

With an extra 35k people, and little or no room for increased expansion or capacity on the roads then it will be gridlock by the time we get to 2040.

If they can build a motorway all the way from waterford to Dublin then i am sure they can build a few roads through waterford when needed.

There's also already the beginning of plans for two new bridges.

You don't think that they are going to just get in an extra 35,000 people and not build infrastructure for it? I know this is Ireland and we have a habit of clocking things up but they'll make a few improvements at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭BBM77

All cities have traffic problems. I don’t know what this is actually meant to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭BBM77

Another quote from Varadkar that nearly made my blood boil was:

“I think one of the reasons why the South East hasn’t done as well as it might have done in terms of job creation and wealth creation is the absence of a university”

Well upgrade WIT to full university status then and ditch this Technological University South East crap. That in reality is a downgrade as far anybody can see. FG member’s included.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

BBM77 wrote: »
    Another quote from Varadkar that nearly made my blood boil was:

“I think one of the reasons why the South East hasn’t done as well as it might have done in terms of job creation and wealth creation is the absence of a university”

You mean the University that is constantly being denied by every government.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Hoffmans wrote: »
    How is this possible to accommodate a 35k increase in population of waterford city as regards services, housing etc..

From City Development Plan 2013-19;
    http://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/media/plans-strategies/development-plan/city/Appendix%202%20%E2%80%93%20Residential%20Zoning%20&%20Phasing%20Map%20A3.pdf

Plus, I think a lot of it is to happen in Ferrybank/Christendom/Belview areas;
    https://www.kilkennycoco.ie/eng/Services/Planning/Development-Plans/Local%20Area%20Plans/Adopted_Local_Area_Plans/Ferrybank_Local_Area_Plan/Figure-2-3-Zoning-map.pdf

Eminently achievable without increasing the city footprint too much. And if KCC, Kilkenny Chamber, J.P. Phelan etc. stop playing silly buggers. And if Leo and his chums put their capital development monies where their PR spinning, election footing, mouths are.
    And if we get the University. And the 3rd bridge by the clock tower. And a 4th bridge downriver somewhere (Reginalds tower or Maypark)
    And if the government align the IDA's strategic objectives with the National Planning Framework i.e. that they actually give a sh*t about Waterford.
    No need for all those houses if the jobs are not being created here.

• Advertisement

BBM77 wrote: »
    All cities have traffic problems. I don’t know what this is actually meant to prove.

Read the post, then read the op's post.
    The point is we want to know how the government plant to improve the infrastructure of the city and me in particular wanted to know how traffic was going to be managed,

People just want to be difficult for the sake of it here. Pedantic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

With the push on abortion and free contraception where are the extra 35,000 people coming from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    With the push on abortion and free contraception where are the extra 35,000 people coming from?

:rolleyes: Check the population growth of the world since abortion and the pill became widespread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Some thoughts on Waterford 2040 Click pix for larger view

Plenty of land lies within the current ORR est to the west which is farmland.
    That said I expect the emphasis will be on sustainable urban living rather than sprawling suburbia so building up will be encouraged. This makes perfect sense as more and more people live more of their lives as either singles or couple - be it young or old (or in between).

Waterford_2040_A.jpg

The ORR needs to be extended out past Ballygunner with an arm at the Airport turn. Plus a new southern river crossing as mooted in the devlopement plan.

Waterford_2040_B.jpg

Finally I'd improve the ORR at the congested Ardkeen end by altering the lane configuration.

Waterford_2040_C.jpg

Advertisement