Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In response to Philip Boucher-Hayes' documentary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

SinSim wrote: »

Fashionable diet? motivated by environmental concerns? purist vegetarianism? motivated by worries of animal welfare?, vegans get mad?, give an animal fresh air before you slaughter him?...What???

All of these were given to describe veganism either directly from Boucher-Hayes or through conversations. It's understandable then, that a lot of non-vegans would be confused and have misconceptions and are more likely to perpetuate both the confusion and misconceptions (on boards.ie for example). I'm sure RTÉ have good researchers. How could they get it so wrong?

We can do better than this, we ARE better than this. Do some good research, have a think, watch a video. Think about aligning your actions with your heart. This is only about the animals. Nothing and no one else. So when you do think about it, only think about the animals and what their lives are worth to them, not to you.

I know I have been selective in quoting you here but are you not being selective in your post regarding the programme? The programme did give a voice to veganism that you haven't mentioned. For example, there was an interview with a member of the Vegan Information Project in Temple Bar which also showed their virtual reality experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

The only conclusion I can draw from the foregoing is that I will not be sending any of my children to NUIG to study law.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

garancafan wrote: »
    The only conclusion I can draw from the foregoing is that I will not be sending any of my children to NUIG to study law.

She's hardly unique in this regard i work with PhD level scientist that believes in alternative medicine ( the really wacky type). All the universities teach the same things , they are regulated after all. People are strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 brendane

SinSim wrote:
    This was done by reducing veganism to, and I quote: "a fashionable diet" at the off set, and putting it in a category with "other fad diets".

SinSim wrote:
    I've just had an epiphany... veganism hasn't anything to do with vegetables. I just read in Wikipedia that's it's got nothing to do with food! This is so weird. Veganism is about animals... ya wouldn't think by the name, wud'ya? I thought all the cranks were obsessed with their greens 'n' stuff. But actually it's an ideology.. go figure. The ol' veggies believe animals have a right to their own lives and their against any type of animal explotación. Another thing I read on Wikipedia is that, wait for it... we're animals too! - go figure. But we have rights already or at least most of us have the most important ones. Oh god, I'm beginning to feel really bad :-( why can't other animals have rights? I'd hate to live a life like theirs. Oh no, I wish I never thought of this, it feels horrible inside.. what have we been doing... we eat them. We eat other animals. That's so screwed up. What must it feel like to be animal? Hold on, I am an animal. I already know how it feels to be an animal.. oh my god.. what have I done ...............................

Ya the program already dealt with this. The guy in temple bar (who worked with some vegan group) said that people become vegans but don't connect with the ethics and philosophy of it and end up falling away.

It's clear that to some people in Ireland veganism is just a diet. As uneducated as these people are in relation to veganism and it's true meaning, the programme done well in pointing out how these people can cause themselves harm by following such a "diet"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Too much nonsense and personal posting in here, if you can't talk to each other civilly this thread will just be closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

A warning to all,vegetarian, vegan or otherwise, reading the comments section on that facebook post will probably kill brain cells.

You ain't kidding. I picked two supporting posters at random and one mixes in alternative medicine with a lot of anti-cheese stuff while the other has a few fascist BNP anti-immigrant posts. I would have thought the general idea of not eating animals was more mainstream than that. I wonder if the society has been waylaid by a militant right wing faction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

Phibsboro wrote: »
    You ain't kidding. I picked two supporting posters at random and one mixes in alternative medicine with a lot of anti-cheese stuff while the other has a few fascist BNP anti-immigrant posts. I would have thought the general idea of not eating animals was more mainstream than that. I wonder if the society has been waylaid by a militant right wing faction?

It's a Facebook group that's open to anyone who wants to join (you don't need to be a member of the society) so I wouldn't read too much into it.Most people who join the society probably do so because they read the magazine/newsletter,want to avail of some of the discounts available to members or want to show support for vegetarianism generally.Not to say that there aren't some kooks or cranks in it of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭banie01

UsedToWait wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone would care to email Dr O'Sullivan, and ask her to join the discussion here, and enlighten us on the finer points of the ECHR and equality legislation pertaining to dietary choices?

I'd hazard a guess that the good doctor has already engaged in the discussion here, given the sign up and posting history of a certain poster, along with their repeated insistence they know nothing of the law ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

jh79 wrote: »
    No , the facts are that not a single study has shown a benefit to a vegan diet / plant based diet over a balanced diet that contains an appropriate amount of red meat.

The book has over 200 pages dedicated to referencing the studies they are mentioning in the book

Maybe inform yourself first before making (yet) another sweeping incorrect statement

And no you don't need meat in a balanced diet ....

weisses wrote: »
    The book has over 200 pages dedicated to referencing the studies they are mentioning in the book

Maybe inform yourself first before making (yet) another sweeping incorrect statement

And no you don't need meat in a balanced diet ....

Never said you need meat in a balanced diet. I said that no study has shown that a plant based diet is better than a balanced diet with an appropriate amount of red meat.

If i am wrong put up a link to the study that says otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Never said you need meat in a balanced diet. I said that no study has shown that a plant based diet is better than a balanced diet with an appropriate amount of red meat.

If i am wrong put up a link to the study that says otherwise.

Considering red meat is a 2A rated probable carcinogen, what amount is an appropriate amount?

Also:
    Red meat[edit]
    A 2016 literature review reported that for 100g or more per day of red meat consumed, the risk increased 11% for each of stroke and for breast cancer, 15% for cardiovascular mortality, 17% for colorectal cancer, and 19% for advanced prostate cancer.[16]

In 2015 the International Agency for Research on Cancer concluded that red meat is probably (Group 2A) carcinogenic to humans,[17] reported that for each additional 100g (up to a maximum of approximately 140g)[18] of red meat consumed per day, the risk of colorectal cancer increased by 17%; there also appeared to be increased risk of pancreatic cancer and prostate cancer but the association was not as clear.[19] Put in perspective, in the UK, 56 out of 1000 people who eat the lowest amount of red meat will develop colorectal cancer (5.6%) while 66 out of 1000 high-red meat eaters will develop colorectal cancer (6.6%) (1.17 x 5.6 = 6.6).[20]

A 2013 meta-analysis found an increased risk of gastric cancer with higher consumption of red or processed meat.[21] Red meat itself contains certain factors that, under certain conditions, produce carcinogens like N-nitroso compounds (NOCs).[22]

The consensus on the role of red meat consumption to increased risk of cardiovascular diseases has changed in recent years. Studies that differentiate between processed and fresh red meat have failed to find a link between unprocessed red meat consumption and heart disease. A major Harvard University meta-study in 2010 involving over one million people who ate meat found that only processed meat had an adverse risk in relation to coronary heart disease (CHD).[23][24] The study suggests that the "differences in salt and preservatives, rather than fats, might explain the higher risk of heart disease and diabetes seen with processed meats, but not with unprocessed red meats." Some mechanisms that have been suggested for why red meat consumption might be risk factor for cardiovascular disease include: its impact on serum cholesterol,[25] that red meat contains arachidonic acid,[26] heme iron,[27] homocysteine,[28] and its high saturated fat content.

Several studies have found a correlation between unprocessed red meat and the occurrence of CHD and certain types of stroke and have controlled for various confounding risk factors.[29] A study of 84,000 women, over a period of 26 years, finds that those with the highest intake of unprocessed red meat, have a 13% increased risk of CHD.[29] Likewise a Harvard study published in 2012, studying mortality as a result of processed and unprocessed red meat consumption finds that one serving of either type of meat a day results in an increased risk of mortality of 13%,[30] while this ratio is indicative of cancer and cardiovascular (CVD) disease, the study indicates that of the 23,926 deaths[30] investigated during the course of the study, 5910 of them were related to CVD[30] and there was no statistical significance between the risk of unprocessed and processed red meats factors in the occurrence of CVD.[30] The disparity between metadata studies definitely need to be addressed, because while one points toward unprocessed red meat being insignificant in certain health risks, there are still correlations to be found in focused large cohort studies.[30][29]

Unprocessed red meat intake is tentatively associated with an increased risk of type II diabetes, but the link is weaker and less certain than the link between processed red meat and diabetes.[31] Other findings have suggested that the association may be due to saturated fat, trans fat and dietary cholesterol, rather than red meat per se.[32] One study estimated that “substitutions of one serving of nuts, low-fat dairy, and whole grains per day for one serving of red meat per day were associated with a 16–35% lower risk of type 2 diabetes”.[33]

Considering red meat is a 2A rated probable carcinogen, what amount is an appropriate amount?

Also:

The link between red meat and cancer and other illnesses is well established. But the quantities in the studies you referenced are quite large. A quick google brings up an NHS recommendation of 70g in total of red and processed meat per day.

Are there any studies that show this amount in a balanced diet carries more risks than a balanced whole plant based diet?

I don't think there are.

The link between red meat and cancer and other illnesses is well established. But the quantities in the studies you referenced are quite large. A quick google brings up an NHS recommendation of 70g in total of red and processed meat per day.

Are there any studies that show this amount in a balanced diet carries more risks than a balanced whole plant based diet?

I don't think there are.

The established risk for processed meat is an increase of 18% for colon cancer per 50g consumed daily, the NHS are literally recommending something carcinogenic as it takes time to change governmental systems. It's only recently you are seeing medical conferences mentioning that hospitals need to stop serving processed meat. Red meat is harder to quantify as there needs to be quite long, complex studies.

The established risk for processed meat is an increase of 18% for colon cancer per 50g consumed daily, the NHS are literally recommending something carcinogenic as it takes time to change governmental systems. It's only recently you are seeing medical conferences mentioning that hospitals need to stop serving processed meat. Red meat is harder to quantify as there needs to be quite long, complex studies.

I doubt that 18% risk per 50g is from a starting point of zero. An increase of 50g from an average daily intake of 70g is a massive increase.

From what you posted earlier if 100,000 people practically doubled their intake daily there would be 10 extra incidences of cancer.

Also that 70g is an average daily intake. So over a week I could safely have 1 8oz steak, 1 Pork Chop, 8 sausages and 4 slices of ham. And the rest of the week i could eat chicken for my meat fix.

To increase my risk of bowel cancer by 18% i would need to eat double that! Even if that 70g figure is revised downwards (if new research says it is necessary), I can just fill that gap with chicken.

As i previously stated there is no evidence (that i am aware of) that a balanced diet that includes 70g of red or processed meat per day carries any extra health risks than a balanced whole plant based diet.

I doubt that 18% risk per 50g is from a starting point of zero. An increase of 50g from an average daily intake of 70g is a massive increase.

From what you posted earlier if 100,000 people practically doubled their intake daily there would be 10 extra incidences of cancer.

Also that 70g is an average daily intake. So over a week I could safely have 1 8oz steak, 1 Pork Chop, 8 sausages and 4 slices of ham. And the rest of the week i could eat chicken for my meat fix.

To increase my risk of bowel cancer by 18% i would need to eat double that! Even if that 70g figure is revised downwards (if new research says it is necessary), I can just fill that gap with chicken.

As i previously stated there is no evidence (that i am aware of) that a balanced diet that includes 70g of red or processed meat per day carries any extra health risks than a balanced whole plant based diet.

It did not have a base of 70g, it increases linearly from 0g to 140g so yes, any amount increases risk of several cancers. Directly from the research:
    Non-linear dose-response meta-analyses revealed that colorectal cancer risk increases approximately linearly with increasing intake of red and processed meats up to approximately 140 g/day, where the curve approaches its plateau. The associations were similar for colon and rectal cancer risk. When analyzed separately, colorectal cancer risk was related to intake of fresh red meat (RR for 100 g/day increase  = 1.17, 95% CI  = 1.05−1.31) and processed meat (RR for 50 g/day increase  = 1.18, 95% CI  = 1.10−1.28). Similar results were observed for colon cancer, but for rectal cancer, no significant associations were observed.

For instance for colon cancer @ 50g processed meat you ahve an increase of 18%, @ 100g you have an increase of 36%.

It did not have a base of 70g, it increases linearly from 0g to 140g so yes, any amount increases risk of several cancers. Directly from the research:

For instance for colon cancer @ 50g processed meat you ahve an increase of 18%, @ 100g you have an increase of 36%.

Could you link to the study or name the authours so i can have a read of it?

Sure, this is a meta analysis of all teh studies done in the last 10 years https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3108955/
    Background

The evidence that red and processed meat influences colorectal carcinogenesis was judged convincing in the 2007 World Cancer Research Fund/American Institute of Cancer Research report. Since then, ten prospective studies have published new results. Here we update the evidence from prospective studies and explore whether there is a non-linear association of red and processed meats with colorectal cancer risk.

More information on the IARC and WHO sites.

Just read it now and it does not start from 0g. Even the graph in the paper does not go through the origin.

It is a big assumption to make that it is linear beyond the data analysed which is what you are doing.

Toxicity is never linear from 0 up you will have a plateau at both the lowest and highest concentration. It this case a plateau is observed at the highest concentrations.

While i'm not a clinical scientist the authours conclusion suggests i may be correct in my interpretation. They say red meat intake should be limited not removed completely ,this not the conclusion you would make if the data supported an increased risk for consumption levels above 0g.

Just read it now and it does not start from 0g. Even the graph in the paper does not go through the origin.

It is a big assumption to make that it is linear beyond the data analysed which is what you are doing.

Toxicity is never linear from 0 up you will have a plateau at both the lowest and highest concentration. It this case a plateau is observed at the highest concentrations.

While i'm not a clinical scientist the authours conclusion suggests i may be correct in my interpretation. They say red meat intake should be limited not removed completely ,this not the conclusion you would make if the data supported an increased risk for consumption levels above 0g.

Also if we take the lowest data point and the 100 g above that equates to an 18% increase, is this even a clinically significant increase. An increase of 18% of a small number could fall within error limits. At the lower levels the risk is obviously smaller.

Tar.Aldion, this study was covered by the movie What the Health and debunked by Science Based Medicine.

The study didn't take into account base rates for cancer. The 18% is calculated against a cancer incidence rate of zero! Crazy stuff.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/what-the-health-a-movie-with-an-agenda/

"He cites a summary of epidemiologic studies showing that eating a single serving of processed meat a day increases colon cancer risk by 18%. In the first place, epidemiologic studies can only show correlation, not causation. In the second place, that 18% increase is in relative risk, not absolute risk. In the third place, it doesn’t take the baseline rate of colon cancer into account. By one estimate, your risk of developing colon cancer by age 65 is 2.9% if you eat no processed meat, and 3.4% if you eat one serving a day. So out of 100 people who avoid processed meat, 2.9 will develop colon cancer, and out of 100 people who eat one serving a day, 3.4 will develop colon cancer: the difference in absolute risk is one more case of cancer out of every 200 people, which sounds much less alarming than the 18% figure. And there could be many confounding factors that would influence a person’s actual risk like genetics, salt consumption (processed meats like bacon have a high salt content), smoking, other lifestyle factors that might happen to be more common in people who eat a lot of processed meats, etc."

• Advertisement

Also if we take the lowest data point and the 100 g above that equates to an 18% increase, is this even a clinically significant increase. An increase of 18% of a small number could fall within error limits. At the lower levels the risk is obviously smaller.

When thinking about statistics here that there was 1100 studies used in studying processed and red meat, and that paper talks about 10 of them. This study was merely backing up previous research which had even higher percentages:

Our estimates are consistent with those reported in the 2007 WCRF/AICR expert report [15], where the risk increase of colon cancer was 37% for every 100 g/day increase in red and processed meats, and the risk increase of colorectal cancer was 29% for every 100 g/day increase in red meat, and 21% for every 50 g/day increase in processed meat.

When i said from 0 it was because neither the WHO nor IARC mentioned that the linear graph did not start at 0 and merely said every 50g until 140g is linear. Looking now, the graph indeed only goes down to around 5g of processed and red meat and I'm sure a case could me made that it's ok to eat 1-4 grams per day, be interesting to get that research group together :pac:

They studied this for decades to be sure. 22 experts are on the team and WHO/IARC announced this to the world as a definite, not with a maybe. Even questioning that it is falling within error limits and that The biggest cancer and Health institutes in the world got it wrong sounds like trying to justify a wanted belief over science. It also doesn't really make sense as it's not taking into account confidence intervals or p values, sample size and so forth which are the actual indicators not the percentage.

Some stuff from the WHO site:
    An analysis of data from 10 studies estimated that every 50 gram portion of processed meat eaten daily increases the risk of colorectal cancer by about 18%.

The cancer risk related to the consumption of red meat is more difficult to estimate because the evidence that red meat causes cancer is not as strong. However, if the association of red meat and colorectal cancer were proven to be causal, data from the same studies suggest that the risk of colorectal cancer could increase by 17% for every 100 gram portion of red meat eaten daily.

What types of cancers are linked or associated with eating processed meat?
    The IARC Working Group concluded that eating processed meat causes colorectal cancer. An association with stomach cancer was also seen, but the evidence is not conclusive.

From the paper:
    The accumulated evidence from prospective studies supports that red and processed meats intake is associated with increased risk of colorectal, colon, and rectal cancers. The risk increase in colorectal cancer estimated in linear dose-response models was 14% for every 100 g/day increase of total red and processed meats, 25% in colon cancer, and 31% in rectal cancer. These results are consistent with those of the highest versus lowest meta-analyses. In non-linear models, colorectal cancer risk appears to increase almost linearly with increasing intake of red and processed meats up to approximately 140 g/day. Above this level, the risk increase is less pronounced.

Red meat intake (assessed separately from processed meat) was associated with increased risk of colorectal and colon cancers, but the association with rectal cancer was not statistically significant. Similarly, processed meat intake was related with risk of colorectal and colon cancers, but not with rectal cancer. The lack of association with rectal cancer is in contrast with the results observed when red and processed meats were combined into a single food item, where similar associations with colon and rectal cancers were observed. This may be due to a lower number of studies in the analyses of rectal cancer than in those of colorectal and colon cancers.

As for that website, who do we believe has the right of it, the foremost experts on the subject in the world or that website?

It's also not really arguing against the paper anyway, it's arguing against people misunderstanding it. IARC do not discuss the rates at which people get the cancers, they work on the increased risk over the base rate and proving something causes cancer. For instance they will prove that frying food causes cancer, and alcohol and processed meat do too but will not be discussing which is more dangerous of the three, or the base rate. It's to assess the relative risk, ie that in this case processed meat is a definite carcinogen. (Group 1 carcinogen, red meat being the second highest level 2A, probably causes cancer) and that doing certain thing increases cancer rates by X%. They are right that that particular film has a lot of crap in it though.

When thinking about statistics here that there was 1100 studies used in studying processed and red meat, and that paper talks about 10 of them. This study was merely backing up previous research which had even higher percentages:

When i said from 0 it was because neither the WHO nor IARC mentioned that the linear graph did not start at 0 and merely said every 50g until 140g is linear. Looking now, the graph indeed only goes down to around 5g of processed and red meat and I'm sure a case could me made that it's ok to eat 1-4 grams per day, be interesting to get that research group together :pac:

They studied this for decades to be sure. 22 experts are on the team and WHO/IARC announced this to the world as a definite, not with a maybe. Even questioning that it is falling within error limits and that The biggest cancer and Health institutes in the world got it wrong sounds like trying to justify a wanted belief over science. It also doesn't really make sense as it's not taking into account confidence intervals or p values, sample size and so forth which are the actual indicators not the percentage.

Some stuff from the WHO site:

From the paper:

As for that website, who do we believe has the right of it, the foremost experts on the subject in the world or that website?

I'm not critising the above i'm critising your hypothesis that this data says that a plant based diet is better than a meat eaters at 70g per day. Nothing you have posted supports that theory.

Any commemt to make on the fact that the study compared cancer rates to zero rather the the base rates?

Your also forgeting that the organisation above only recommend reducing intake obviously because the data doesn't support complete removal.

I'm not critising the above i'm critising your hypothesis that this data says that a plant based diet is better than a meat eaters at 70g per day. Nothing you have posted supports that theory.
    How do you mean? If one food is proven carcinogenic (in this case processed meat) then that's it proven already?
    Any commemt to make on the fact that the study compared cancer rates to zero rather the the base rates?

Show where it did that? That doesn't even make sense, you can't have an increase of 18% on 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,159 ✭✭✭✭Water John

What is a processed meat? Ham, Steak, Chops?

Water John wrote: »
    What is a processed meat? Ham, Steak, Chops?

1. What do you consider as red meat?
    Red meat refers to all mammalian muscle meat, including, beef, veal, pork, lamb, mutton, horse, and goat.

2. What do you consider as processed meat?
    Processed meat refers to meat that has been transformed through salting, curing, fermentation, smoking, or other processes to enhance flavour or improve preservation. Most processed meats contain pork or beef, but processed meats may also contain other red meats, poultry, offal, or meat by-products such as blood.

Examples of processed meat include hot dogs (frankfurters), ham, sausages, corned beef, and biltong or beef jerky as well as canned meat and meat-based preparations and sauces.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

As for that website, who do we believe has the right of it, the foremost experts on the subject in the world or that website?.

The problem I have found with various interest backed research is that experts and / or critics end up playing a game of snap as each attempts to out prove the other in an escalating war of attrition.

The following article from scientific American and highlights this issue relative to this debate
    Why Almost Everything Dean Ornish Says about Nutrition Is Wrong. Updated: With Dean Ornish's Response

A critique of the diet guru's views on high-protein diets, followed by a response from Ornish and a reply from the author

I'm not going to copy and paste the article as it is quite lengthy

See:
    [Url]ttps://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-almost-everything-dean-ornish-says-about-nutrition-is-wrong/[/url]

How do you mean? If one food is proven carcinogenic (in this case processed meat) then that's it proven already?

Show where it did that? That doesn't even make sense, you can't have an increase of 18% on 0.

Question 1;
    Toxicity is dose dependant there is a safe concentration for all toxins , good real world examples are cigs and booze. One cig doesn't cause lung cancer one drink doesn't cause breast cancer in women for example.

Question 2;
    The study doesn't provide a figure for the base rate and the required reference to show where they got it from.They just took the incidence rate and never substrated the base rate. The only person who has a 0 risk for cancer is a dead one. Check the methodology for the study. These things have to be documented for a peer reviewed paper.

This artifically inflated the numbers and gave the impression that the % increase was of clinical / real world significance. We are dealing with extemely small numbers here.

• Advertisement

The problem here isn't the study, the conclusion was resonable , it's films like What the Health misrepresenting these studies to push their agenda.

Advertisement