Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CSO Mean irish salary different from Eurostat

• 08-03-2018 11:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Im trying to find the most recent mean and median salary of an irish person.

CSO tells me the mean weekly salary and thus I can work out an annual salary(about €37.7k gross).

Euro stat has mean and median, but it doesnt agree at all with the CSO.
    e.g. mean income for an irish person on eurostat is €25.5k. Initially i thought this was net, after tax, but even adding tax, the mean comes out at about €30k, €7k below the irish estimate.

Anyone advise if the difference is legit and what accounts for it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,282 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

fret_wimp2 wrote: »

CSO tells me the mean weekly salary and thus I can work out an annual salary(about €37.7k gross).

e.g. mean income for an irish person on eurostat is €25.5k. Initially i thought this was net, after tax, but even adding tax, the mean comes out at about €30k, €7k below the irish estimate.

I tried to look but your Eurostat link doesn't work.

In relation to the CSO figures, they are talking about employees.

Without seeing it, I can't be sure about the Eurostat figure, but I would guess from your statement "mean income for an irish person on eurostat" that they are referring to income for an average Irish person, which would include employees, self-employed, as well as social welfare recipient etc. That would result in a different figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

apologies, eurostat link is updated. Note it displays median by default, you need to add mean to the "Income and living conditions indicator" in the top left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,282 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

apologies, eurostat link is updated. Note it displays median by default, you need to add mean to the "Income and living conditions indicator" in the top left.

That table, with a median income of €22,407 is looking at the median income of single person households, including only households of single people, whether employed or unemployed. It is a very different measure to the CSO one, which only is looking at employees, but is looking at them no matter what size of household.

Essentially, the two figures are counting apples and oranges.

No matter what I do with the Eurostat figures, I can't exclude the unemployed or the people not active in the workforce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Well in one you refer to salary in the other to income. These are different things - income captures people who are on social welfare and do not have a salary for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

blanch152 wrote: »

Essentially, the two figures are counting apples and oranges.

Fair point. I might just have to settle for the CSO figure, no matter how much id like a median or mode based on income bins.

• Advertisement
Advertisement