Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appointment waiting 24mths away

Options
  • 25-01-2018 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, I have not simmered down yet from a letter just received, stating an appointment will be made WITHIN THE NEXT 24 MONTHS for something that I'd been to A&E with and they are concerned about. :mad:

I'll either be bent double or dead by then. And I'm only in my 40s, plenty of working years left in me.
    The letter is issued from a specific consultant's clinic, with the air of nonchalance about it.
    Well, I'm a person: not just a chart number, to be shoved in a filing cabinet until a reminder pops up on a computer, to generate another similar letter.
    Is this not something to be followed up on? I know perfectly well I'm not the only one; which, if numbers were counted, is an appalling shame, in a country that used to be held in such high regard. If this was, like lots of other issues, brought to the attention of the Taoiseach and Government, would they really take it seriously or just roll their eyes?
    Irately - awaiting replies / comments

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭RoamingDoc

Get your GP to follow up with them.

Sounds like an admin error to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭RoamingDoc

pebblet wrote: »
    the air of nonchalance about it

Letters from these clinics are templates by the way. They have to be impersonal so that people won't be able to become concerned over their contents etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 pebblet

It's no error. Apparently it's normal - standard letter yes - but the timing definitely says within the n=net 24 months: which is up to 2 years away. Another letter arrived since, from another hospital (can I mention the hospitals?) for April 2019 - we received that shortly after I started this post, so that's a long way off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 pebblet

It's no error. Another member of my family got a letter last month to reply Y or N if they were interested in continuinig on the waiting list - she didn't even need the appointment, as she'd been twice to the consultant, got the all-lear - 5 years ago....................in the same hospital, with the same consultant...................I rest my case.

Advertisement