Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late for me to start back?

Options
  • 01-03-2018 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

So I turned 20 and have had an urge to start hurling again. I stopped when I was 14 or so. At the time I was well below my teams average but I didn't exactly put the time in either.

In terms of my current fitness I'm 5"8 and at about 15 percent body fat. If I did build some more muscle and put a lot of time into hurling would I be in anyway useful or have I missed too many important years?

Also what time of the year would make the most sense to join back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭LooseCannonUF

So I turned 20 and have had an urge to start hurling again. I stopped when I was 14 or so. At the time I was well below my teams average but I didn't exactly put the time in either.

In terms of my current fitness I'm 5"8 and at about 15 percent body fat. If I did build some more muscle and put a lot of time into hurling would I be in anyway useful or have I missed too many important years?

Return now, get an alley ball/ wall ball, and practice on both sides. High intensity interval training would help a lot with fitness.

Train, train, train.

Kevin Kinahin, former Offaly full back and all-star didn’t hurl til he was 18/19. It’s never too late if you’re willing to put the work in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭blue note

I took up hurling at 26. It was a great decision and for my level I'm decent. Deserving of my place I think. Thankfully I'm also the manager so it doesn't matter whether I deserve it or not!

But a few in my team had never hurled before and some people have returned after 10 years out, or after giving up after primary school. If you played up to u14 you'd probably be in a better position than most. If you're in Dublin and interested in playing feel free to pm me. We've lots in our club in your position.

The club is realt death by the way and we play in drimnagh castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

When I saw the thread title I thought you going to say you were 34 and hadn't played in 15 years or something! You're only 20, still plenty of time to get back into it. And bear in mind clubs aren't expecting every new recruit to be sh1t hot or be up to playing senior standard, there is room for players at all levels.

If you start off by joining a team in one of the lower divisions the standard won't be amazing and the player you'd be marking might be someone similiar to yourself. There will be no Joe Cannings to worry about. You can get into it gradually that way, improve in your own time and find your level.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

Kevin Kinahin, former Offaly full back and all-star didn’t hurl til he was 18/19. It’s never too late if you’re willing to put the work in.
    He must have been some fast learner because he won a Leinster u21 medal when he was 20???

Advertisement