Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Different Guinness pint glass??

• 19-02-2018 1:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭

Sometimes I’d see lads drinking their Guinness in a different shaped pint glass (similar to the glass in the picture) instead of the regular Guinness branded glass...

Is there any reason for this or what? Just curious

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭mikeecho

That's just a generic beer glass.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's a nonic. They're fairly rare these days. I never liked 'em myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's a nonic. They're fairly rare these days. I never liked 'em myself.

way, way easier for lounge staff to stack high though, in a busy environment they can go 20-25 glasses high or more and not be concerned with letting them fall.

That said, in the days of only Nonics or Tulips, my own preference was a half pint glass like this

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTslh28mUKlio9bx0rh9LmRpSQMrOeibvAy2R7aA_K_gqcuPz9y

way, way easier for lounge staff to stack high though
    Yep, they were very much designed for the trade, not for the customer.
    my own preference was a half pint glass like this
    Awful things. I have several scars from my barman days where I was filling one with water, knocked the thin glass on the tap and the shards sliced my hand open. They're rubbish for beer aroma too.

graaaand for a large bottle off the shelf but.

• Advertisement

So the received wisdom seems to go. While I respect The Ritual of the Pour and all that, it just takes too damn long to settle and you can never be quite sure how far along your bottle you are. I always ask for a pint glass with mine: if I favoured conformity I wouldn't be drinking a large bottle off the shelf in the first place :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I've had some of the older lads specifically ask for that glass for their Guinness. Old habits die hard I guess.

So the received wisdom seems to go. While I respect The Ritual of the Pour and all that, it just takes too damn long to settle and you can never be quite sure how far along your bottle you are. I always ask for a pint glass with mine: if I favoured conformity I wouldn't be drinking a large bottle off the shelf in the first place :P

ah you get used to the feel and the weight of the bottle

drinking a bottle from a pint glass though

jesus

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Caliden wrote: »
    I've had some of the older lads specifically ask for that glass for their Guinness. Old habits die hard I guess.

I've known people who used to order a pint of Guinness " in a tulip glass" .
    I never liked the Nonic ones either.
    I don't ever remember them being branded Guinness or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Awful things. I have several scars from my barman days where I was filling one with water, knocked the thin glass on the tap and the shards sliced my hand open. They're rubbish for beer aroma too.

One broke as I poured drink into my mouth one evening. I was pretty lucky to not have sliced my jaw or tongue open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I've known people who used to order a pint of Guinness " in a tulip glass" .
    I never liked the Nonic ones either.
    I don't ever remember them being branded Guinness or otherwise.

+1 that never occurred to me but I think you're right, I don't ever remember them with a logo.

When the heavy 'cathedral' pint glass was replaced with much thinner glass material, the glass was cone-shaped with straight sides (known later as the 'straight glass') with no lip but they couldn't be stacked more than about five or six before the bottom one would crack from the strain, the nonic was an engineering solution to that problem.

The first tulip glass that I remember was introduced as part of the launch of Smithwick's draught ale so it had the Smithwicks logo and that shape became the standard glass into the 1970s and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Caliden wrote: »
    that is weird, thought it would be the other way around. Maybe they find it easier to hold. I remember hearing guinness wanting it to only be served in the branded glasses.

I have asked for other beers in guinness glasses since I know they will not be nucleated, i.e. that etching in the bottom causing bubbles to form.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pint_glass#Current_shapes
    The nonik (or nonic, pronounced "no-nick") a variation on the conical design, where the glass bulges out a couple of inches from the top; this is partly for improved grip, partly to prevent the glasses from sticking together when stacked, and partly to give strength and stop the rim from becoming chipped or "nicked".[1] This design was invented by Hugo Pick, of Albert Pick & Co., who was awarded two US patents: design patent 44,616 (September 2, 1913) and patent 1,107,700 (August 18, 1914) – though the design patent was invalidated – and which was commercialized as Nonik (for "no-nick").[2][3] The design was preceded by many other bulged glass designs, dating to the mid-19th century, which differed in having a severe bulge and different purposes (a stop for a jar cover, or placement in a soda glass holder), rather than the shallow bulge of this design.[2] The original motivation for the glass was to reduce breakage when stacking (40% greater crushing strength and curved surface where rim touches), reduce breakage when tipped over (due to the bulge protecting the rim from impact), improve grip, and facilitate cleaning (due to shallow curves, compared to more severe curves). In the United Kingdom, this style was popularized after World War II, with Ravenhead glass introducing a Nonik glass in 1948

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

no chance of"splitting the G" on that glass as my 21 yr old son says when he sees me taking my first sup from a fresh pint!!! Seems to be a Student thing!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Panrich

I must say that I have always associated that shape with a pint of Guinness or Smithwicks.

I always look around a bar before I order a Guinness to see what glasses they using.

I only drink Guinness from a Tulip glass..... if I see barman reaching for a Smithwicks glass I give a shout out to use a Tulip glass. I think it's a BAD barman who pulls Guinness in a Smithwicks glass... complete lack of respect for the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

Masala wrote: »
    I always look around a bar before I order a Guinness to see what glasses they using.

I only drink Guinness from a Tulip glass..... if I see barman reaching for a Smithwicks glass I give a shout out to use a Tulip glass. I think it's a BAD barman who pulls Guinness in a Smithwicks glass... complete lack of respect for the customer.

Just curious, but if they had no other Guinness glasses, would you refuse to drink a Guinness from a different glass? As in, order something different or move to another pub?

Just curious, but if they had no other Guinness glasses, would you refuse to drink a Guinness from a different glass? As in, order something different or move to another pub?

To be honest.... I would go for a Carlsberg and skip the Guinness altogether. I am stubborn that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Masala wrote: »
    To be honest.... I would go for a Carlsberg and skip the Guinness altogether. I am stubborn that way.

Don't go to the Headline anytime soon. Non Guinness Stout in non tulip glasses and no Carlsberg to fall back on either :)

Advertisement