Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you go to America if sectioned?

Options
  • 02-03-2018 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I have heard that you can't go to America if you've been sectioned. I was sectioned in November. I've searched the web and can't find out if it's true. Does anyone know?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Being honest, I don't know. I think the ESTA form does ask some mental health type questions, iirc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Need more details. Are you planning to visit America as a tourist, or for business reasons, or immigrate?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ricicle

Black Swan wrote: »
    Need more details. Are you planning to visit America as a tourist, or for business reasons, or immigrate?

I am planning on visiting as a tourist for 3 weeks. I’m worried because the person I am hoping to go with doesn’t know I was sectioned

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

ricicle wrote: »
    I am planning on visiting as a tourist for 3 weeks. I’m worried because the person I am hoping to go with doesn’t know I was sectioned

Depending on why you were sectioned and whether there are any consequential and/or on-going mental health difficulties, you might want to reflect on your decision about not telling your travelling companion. Not least for your and their safety.

Depending on why you were sectioned and whether there are any consequential and/or on-going mental health difficulties, you might want to reflect on your decision about not telling your travelling companion. Not least for your and their safety.

I was sectioned because I wanted to go home and I was hearing command voices and was severely depressed. I was then diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder (formally bipolar. I don’t need to tell my travel companion becaUse I’m not dangerous. She knows I’ve been in hospital just not that I was sectioned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mar2000

Physical or Mental Disorders

With regard to physical or mental disorders, answer "Yes" to this question if:
    (a) You currently have a physical or mental disorder and a history of behavior associated with the disorder that may pose or has posed a threat to your property, safety or welfare or that of others; or
    (b) You had a physical or mental disorder and a history of behavior associated with the disorder that has posed a threat to your property, safety or welfare or that of others and the behavior is likely to recur or lead to other harmful behavior.

Answer "No" if:
    (a) You currently have no physical or mental disorders; or
    (b) You have or had a physical or mental disorder without associated behavior that may pose or has posed a threat to your property, safety or welfare of that of others; or
    (c) You currently have a physical or mental disorder with associated behavior, but that behavior has not posed, does not currently pose nor will pose a threat to your property, safety or welfare or that of others; or
    (d) You had a physical or mental disorder with associated behavior that posed a threat to your property, safety or welfare or that of others, but that behavior is unlikely to recur.

The above is from the official esta site. I am not sure if I can post the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

ricicle wrote: »
    I was sectioned because I wanted to go home and I was hearing command voices and was severely depressed. I was then diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder (formally bipolar. I don’t need to tell my travel companion becaUse I’m not dangerous. She knows I’ve been in hospital just not that I was sectioned

Ok. On that basis, I wouldn't advise you any further other than consider discussing the matter with your psychiatrist before you make a final decision on whether or not to tell your companion. Best of luck.

Thank you for that!

Advertisement