Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather disruption with Annual Leap Card

Options
  • 03-03-2018 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows if you can claim back off Dublin Bus for their annual leap card for the days that service was suspended for the weather?

Is it only for strikes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭rebel456

moloner4 wrote: »
    Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows if you can claim back off Dublin Bus for their annual leap card for the days that service was suspended for the weather?

Is it only for strikes?

Did you have to use alternative transportation to get to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

rebel456 wrote: »
    Did you have to use alternative transportation to get to work?

That's neither here nor there really. There's nothing to say an annual ticket is used exclusively for work purposes, even if the likelihood is that this is the case. Rather the issue is that the OP paid to have access to/use of a service that subsequently was not available.

As to the question of whether there will be refunds, I don't know, OP. Ophelia was the nearest similar event we had lately, but even then DB only withdrew services for part of the day, and had no full days without service, as I recall? Luas had a day with no service due to damage at their control centre, but don't know if they issued any refunds either. Might be worth a question to the DB twitter account or something if you're on there?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Under a Red Alert you have no hope of a refund, transport operators didn't have a choice about service suspension. You could possible get something for the early/late suspensions outside of 16.00 Thursday-09.00 Today but I think you will be wasting your time even looking for it.

Strikes are within the control of Dublin Bus hence the refunds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its really hard not to type something incredibly snarky here.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

Tweeted them as suggested and got told no.

So in one word answer: no

Doesn't really bother be but glad to know :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Under a Red Alert you have no hope of a refund, transport operators didn't have a choice about service suspension. You could possible get something for the early/late suspensions outside of 16.00 Thursday-09.00 Today but I think you will be wasting your time even looking for it.

Strikes are within the control of Dublin Bus hence the refunds.

It shouldn't matter the op paid for a service which he/she did not receive. DB are a transport operator just like airlines you should be entiled if the service you have is not provided surely, if your flight was cancelled you'd be refunded or rebooked why should DB be any different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭bebeman

Stephen15 wrote: »
    if your flight was cancelled you'd be refunded or rebooked why should DB be any different.
    It is no different, he will be "rebooked" on the first bus that comes along

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

How much would the claim be worth if it was to succeed?

bebeman wrote: »
    It is no different, he will be "rebooked" on the first bus that comes along

If reebooking isin't an option which it obviously isin't as city buses do not have reservations obviously then the OP should be entitled to a refund IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Dublin bus wasn't running...
    I had to use my personal wormhole (instead of my annual travel pass) to get across the city to an urgent appointment during the snowstorm + was expecting a refund:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

h2005 wrote: »
    How much would the claim be worth if it was to succeed?

Divide your annual pass price by 365, then multiply that figure for each day missed, in this case two days. Not a lot all told but I guess that there is a principle involved here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Dublin Bus no

However for Irish Rail yes, EC1371/2007 puts the onus on the railway undertaking to compensate passengers 'Force Majeure' does not apply
    Railway Blame Third Party

EU courts have ruled that the classic 'Force Majeure' (beyond/outside our control) excuse is not acceptable and that the railway undertaking is wholly responsible. The passenger is entitled to compensation regardless of the cause of the delay Opinion Of Advocate General. http://curia.europa.eu/juris/document/document.jsf?text=&docid=135004&pageIndex=0&doclang=EN&mode=req&dir=&occ=first&part=1&cid=672652
    http://www.railusers.ie/passenger_info/ec1371.php

• Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Dublin Bus no

However for Irish Rail yes, EC1371/2007 puts the onus on the railway undertaking to compensate passengers 'Force Majeure' does not apply

http://www.railusers.ie/passenger_info/ec1371.php

But if most/everything was closed on the friday, there was nowhere to travel to, and maybe no joureny to be compensated for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭howiya

But if most/everything was closed on the friday, there was nowhere to travel to, and maybe no joureny to be compensated for?

Plenty of people were working on Friday

Divide you annual pass price by 365, then multiply that figure for each day missed, in this case two days. Not a lot all told but I guess that there is a principle involved here.

So, €1340/365=€3.67

I wonder what the principle is in chasing €3.67 because Dublin bus had to stop running under a red alert weather warning?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,323 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

It was €5.50 a day for the strikes in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Would you have to declare the refund for tax purposes as the original payment was tax deductible?
    Just on principle...

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭rebel456

cython wrote: »
    That's neither here nor there really. There's nothing to say an annual ticket is used exclusively for work purposes, even if the likelihood is that this is the case. Rather the issue is that the OP paid to have access to/use of a service that subsequently was not available.

As to the question of whether there will be refunds, I don't know, OP. Ophelia was the nearest similar event we had lately, but even then DB only withdrew services for part of the day, and had no full days without service, as I recall? Luas had a day with no service due to damage at their control centre, but don't know if they issued any refunds either. Might be worth a question to the DB twitter account or something if you're on there?

It is actually 'here and there'. As subsequent posters have also stated, was there an alternative journey cost for working on Friday needing to be compensated for?

Dublin Bus services were cancelled outside of the control of Dublin Bus - different to strike action which is deemed a fault of the company. As with an airline you will be rebooked for next available service, in the OP's case a bus the following day when services resume.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

rebel456 wrote: »
    It is actually 'here and there'. As subsequent posters have also stated, was there an alternative journey cost for working on Friday needing to be compensated for?

Dublin Bus services were cancelled outside of the control of Dublin Bus - different to strike action which is deemed a fault of the company. As with an airline you will be rebooked for next available service, in the OP's case a bus the following day when services resume.

Nothing to do with work though, is it? There are any number of alternative journeys that a season ticket holder might have used their ticket for that day, not just travel to and from work. And while I accept the distinction between the weather influence vs a strike, that stands on its own, and it's specious reasoning to bring alternative journey cost into it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Addle wrote: »
    Would you have to declare the refund for tax purposes as the original payment was tax deductible?
    Just on principle...

After the strikes a few years ago it seemed revenue worked out an agreement with the providers on that. Notionally the Irish Rail strike refunds were travel vouchers but you got cash for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

There is principle and just being....well...miserly! When I think of all the volunteers who demonstrated such community spirit this last week, who shoveled and cleared common area snow for hours, made hot dinners for vulnerable neighbours, maybe used petrol to visit someone on their own, donated coal or logs, gave up their days or nights to encourage homeless people to come indoors...and then to think someone would be petty enough to claim the price of 2 cups of coffee from this calamitous event....well, I'm sorry but principles, my arse!!

OP, do let us know what you plan to spend your windfall on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Do you claim a refund for the time you are on holliers and cannot use your Annual Leap Card, and for Christmas Day and Stephen's Day (rail)?

You should try it.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Because its petty to go looking for €3.67 refund on an annual pass simply because a red weather warning prevented buses from running?

Because its petty to go looking for €3.67 refund on an annual pass simply because a red weather warning prevented buses from running?

€3.67 could mean a lot for someone on zero hours who wasn't paid for the snow days.

€3.67 could mean a lot for someone on zero hours who wasn't paid for the snow days.

Sure. The difference between life and death even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

You don't need to be in the grip of a celtic tiger boom to have some perspective on chasing a €3.67 refund from a €1340 annual travel pass when the reason for the loss was a red alert weather warning putting all buses off the road.

So go ahead, be sanctimonious and pretend that the starving kids in Africa wouldn't have turned their nose up at €3.67 and that it is extravagantly wasteful not to demand a refund for the serious loss incurred. While you're doing that I'll continue to think this is all a bit petty.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

ongarboy wrote: »
    There is principle and just being....well...miserly! When I think of all the volunteers who demonstrated such community spirit this last week, who shoveled and cleared common area snow for hours, made hot dinners for vulnerable neighbours, maybe used petrol to visit someone on their own, donated coal or logs, gave up their days or nights to encourage homeless people to come indoors...and then to think someone would be petty enough to claim the price of 2 cups of coffee from this calamitous event....well, I'm sorry but principles, my arse!!

OP, do let us know what you plan to spend your windfall on!!

All it was a question, not a demand. BTW i would have donated it to the Irish Cancer Society, a cause that I donate platelets monthly to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

They wouldn't be on taxsaver either.

Advertisement