Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thank you Boards.ie

Options
  • 03-03-2018 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Hope I am okay to post this here but I feel that the following has to be said in a dedicted thread - thanks to the moderators for keeping the forum on the go during what must have been an incredibly demanding period of time, the technical experts for explaining what was going on with the weather at the time, and the one and only MT Cranium for keeping all of us on track with the weather generally.

Thank you all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Another thank you.

Because of the Weather Gurus on here, we were prepared well in advance. Had got a delivery of oil, had coal, books from the library and enough food for a few days.

You guys are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

Hope I am okay to post this here but I feel that the following has to be said in a dedicted thread - thanks to the moderators for keeping the forum on the go during what must have been an incredibly demanding period of time, the technical experts for explaining what was going on with the weather at the time, and the one and only MT Cranium for keeping all of us on track with the weather generally.

Thank you all.

Yes agreed. We have been watching all the updates throughout the event and the information posted in here has been invaluable to family and for my workplace. Many thanks to all who contributed and put in much of their time in doing so. Greatly appreciated the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

For the current weather event, past ones and those we have in the future the forewarning, knowledge and informative updates are hugely appreciated.

Well done to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Great posting by all the regular experts and especially MT, thanks for all the work with charts and forecasts. Well done all and not forgetting the mods for all their hard work dealing with some rubbish posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

Well done and thanks lads

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

I just want to thank MT and all the posters for the time and effort they put in to keep us all informed over the past couple of days and weeks while this major weather event was unfolding. I for one found the information posted on here very informative and was able to plan well in advance. Thanks gain all and keep up the great work.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

Another thank you here. I have been following your model interpretations and forecasts closely and excitedly right from the beginnings of this event in FI (as I have been doing for the few years) It's been an amazing rollercoaster ride. Feeling a bit deflated and fatigued now that it's over (as I'm sure many of the extremely knowledgeable people here are to a much higher level!) but onwards to whatever the weather has in store for us next! One day I hope to be able to contribute here a little but a long way off that currently - so in the meantime I'll be here learning from you all. Well done to the moderators who have had a very tough job over the last few days. Thank you!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I don't read the weather forum, but the number of reported posts as a result of a weather event was nothing short of astonishing. I never realised that so many people could be dicks even about something as seemingly uncontroversial as the weather. The forum mods deserve medals for all they had to deal with over the past few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Uthur

this board was an amazing resource over the last few weeks and days. thanks to everyone who posted useful info and analysis. and special thanks to the mods who had a storm of posts to deal with ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Psychobabble

Great idea. I'd like to add my thanks; we were well-prepared for this, having read the knowledgeable discussions here. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'd like to echo all of the posts above. Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

Massive thank you to MTC, Kermit and all other weather expert boardsies. I was keeping a close eye on the weather forum from last week onwards, much to my family's bemusement... Thanks to the early predictions on boards i managed to get a bit of batch cooking and stocks in to last us last weekend before the mass panic set in (However, chocolate stocks needed regular replenishing, anyone else eat a ton of chocolate the last week? :D)

On a personal note, I'll never forget this week/weather event as my husband couldn't get into work and it was closed the last few days, so he got to spend lots of quality time with our six week old daughter. We did lots of window watching rocking her to sleep with the fire roaring. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

Thank you to all the weather experts here on Boards. MT of course and i won't mention others for fear of leaving anyone out. I told people in work two week ago about the ssw and the possibility of snow, then last week I said we're going to have snow.... they laughed at me. Well who's laughing now. :)
    That information I relayed came from here. My go to place to check the weather.
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

I called it in work weeks ago. People think I’m some sort of weather expert now. I just stumbled on this forum and regurgitated it.
    I now check mt craniums weather forecast every morning.
    Thanks lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Medal (iso)bar awarded to all weather mods.

"Winter Over - Storm Emma 2018"

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Kermit, MT and all the others well done a valuable source of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Fair play to all the knowledgeable posters, can't thank ye enough.

Special mention has to be given to MT Cranium. His forecasts are more detailed and often more on the ball than what you'd get from the official channels in Ireland. Over the past few days, I'd say there are countless people who've been saved time, money and heartache thanks to him. And all of this he does in his own free time.

He should have a Gofundme/Patreon page. I'd definitely throw him a few euro. There are lads on hefty salaries that do less work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

If I missed anyone I apologies.. But I personally would like to thank the below contributors for their expertise over the last week or so...

MT. Cranium
    Kermit.De.Frog
    Weathercheck
    pistolpetes11
    Meteorite58
    DOCARCH
    gabeeg
    sdanseo
    Gonzo
    sryanbruen
    Rougies
    BLIZZARD7
    JCX BXC
    nacho libre
    Gaoth Laidir
    Rebelbrowser
    patneve2
    Lumi

Thanks for what turned out to be a memorable bit of weather watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Yep, another here to add my thanks , not only was I well stocked from being well warned but now my mates think I am a weather forecasting genius 😂...
    Now, when is the next snowmageddon due ??? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Johnnysneachta

Big thank you to MT, Kermit, George Sunsnow etc. My work colleagues were sick of me warning them about the recent weather. They think I'm a fountain of knowledge now. Hopefullly not 36yrs to the next snowmageddon!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

As always a pleasure to be part of something bigger than myself and it's usually in the weather forum.

Also, very pleased to report that I got several real-life nods of UFA said this was going to happen ten days ago and she was right. We'll listen to her the next time. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tcite

A lurker moreso than a regular poster, but thanks from here as well. Been an experience these past few days that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'd like to echo all of the posts above. Thanks guys.

Appreciate that.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The past few weeks involving this entire thing could not be described down in words to me, rollercoaster maybe an appropriate way of saying it because my emotions went up and down left to right but I can't think of putting it into words.

Firstly, I'd like to say thank you for the appreciation I've been receiving throughout, it has been extraordinary. Appreciation like this is what continues to motivate me to do things like updating you on the current situations with the stratosphere or answering questions to do with Ireland's weather history etc. Remember that if you want to know about these kinds of things, feel free to either PM me, post in the Irish Weather Statistics and or the discussion thread. I'm always willing to help and answer questions, especially those regarding weather history.

Secondly, any time I've acted despicable through this event I do apologise for because it has happened numerous times. I'm saying this here again because I felt I did not show true sorrow.

Thirdly, I cannot take all the credit as some posters have been brilliant throughout too. I'd like to shoutout the following: Gaoth Laidir, Weathercheck, BLIZZARD7, Kermit.de.frog, George Sunsnow, sdanseo, JCX BXC, Meteorite58 and of course the holder of the Greenland Express himself, MT Cranium. Some of these guys don't get the credit they deserve which is unfortunate because they do an incredible job. Thank you very much to those guys and the others that have contributed massively, even I've learned some things along the way.

Well done to each and every one of the mods on their performance of keeping the forum civilised too! If it was me, I probably would have collapsed, so huge props.

We all learn something from each other and we all learn something new every day. If we knew everything about the weather, doing this wouldn't be nearly as fun or as enjoyable.

I have a little slideshow coming soon showcasing many of the pics I've taken - I may even add some of you guys' ones to it too. It's an experience that I will not forget!

Lastly, I'll echo what I said before about this event. Remember these three words for potential cold or snowy events in the future, sudden stratospheric warming! ;)

The Summer bandwagon now rolls on..... since a lot of people don't give a hoot about Spring. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Thank you to all the knowledgeable contributors and also to the mods. I've modded before and its a horrific job when you have as many people and newbies in a forum as you guys did this week. Everyone did an amazing job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

A mountain out of a molehill tbh

Nothing new there

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭ROAAAR

If there's one things I've learned from all this is that the white stuff makes people go crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

Thanks to all

• Registered Users Posts: 21,825 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Just want to say thank you to all you knowledgeable people , who had us all forewarned weeks ago . And thanks again for patiently answering questions , and for letting a long time lurker make the forum her second home for the last while .
    Stay safe all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

As with Ophelia have learned a huge amount more about the weather than I knew before and hopefully didn't post anything that wasn't absolutely factual in my haste :pac:

I won't make any list because I'd leave people out; you know who you are - MASSIVE thanks to all the regular forecasters and contributors, but also to everyone who posted even if it was just an update or a question. There are threads floating around on boards at this very second asking whether this site is in decline or whather forums in general are distantly doomed - for now at least, we've proven that they most certainly are not. Between the 4 major threads on this topic, there have been almost 20,000 posts and 4,000,0000 views. Nearly one for everyone in Ireland.

Advertisement