Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Air to Water/Underfloor Heating/MVHR

• 28-02-2018 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi,

Looking for recommendations for suppliers who do all of these together.

Please PM me with any recommendations.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Haz17 wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking for recommendations for suppliers who do all of these together.

Please PM me with any recommendations.

Thanks

What part of the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Haz17

Mayo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

If i can afford i will go with a ground / geothermal heat pump ...AND ... a pipe going deep in the ground alongside the heat pump probes for...heat recovery pre-heater !
    My HRV today is switched off as the input temperature is too low to optiamally do its work.But,with a pre-heater taking the "intake" at mabe above 10-15 degres will do a sweet happy job .
    Unlucky,cant afford due to the space.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Doniekp

rolion wrote: »
    If i can afford i will go with a ground / geothermal heat pump ...AND ... a pipe going deep in the ground alongside the heat pump probes for...heat recovery pre-heater !
    My HRV today is switched off as the input temperature is too low to optiamally do its work.But,with a pre-heater taking the "intake" at mabe above 10-15 degres will do a sweet happy job .
    Unlucky,cant afford due to the space.

Hi

What HRV unit do you have? when you mention pre-heater for intake. how is that set up?

thanks

Doniekp wrote: »
    Hi

What HRV unit do you have? when you mention pre-heater for intake. how is that set up?

thanks

Hi,

H E R E is my adventure in the mhrv area, completely DIY and with online resources.

I don't have a pre-heater, i could have gone with an electrical module as an add-on but too expensive to run.

I was thinking to build a diy one, with some pipes and a big box, plastic with proper insulation installed in attic...just to warm-up the intake. Never materialised due to the not bad weather plus the unit that I have doing a very good job,intakes very low but very good at warming up the air.

For the owners of a heat pump geothermal and hrv , it will be a bad idea to don't use the existing ground bore /holes and run some piping to get a better and constant return on the hrv air intake.

• Advertisement

Doniekp wrote: »
    Hi

thanks

Hi,

H E R E is my adventure in the mhrv area, completely DIY and with online resources.

I don't have a pre-heater, i could have gone with an electrical module as an add-on but too expensive to run.

I was thinking to build a diy one, with some pipes and a big box, plastic with proper insulation installed in attic...just to warm-up the intake. Never materialised due to the not bad weather plus the unit that I have doing a very good job,i ntakes very low but very good at warming up the air.

For the owners of a heat pump geothermal and hrv , it will be a bad idea to don't use the existing ground bore /holes and run some piping to get a better and constant return on the hrv air intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Doniekp

"heat pump geothermal and hrv , it will be a bad idea to don't use the existing ground bore /holes and run some piping to get a better and constant return on the hrv air intake"

Hi Rolion

Thanks for the reply but can you explain this?

thanks

AFAIK...in order to get geothermal heat pump,you need to run some piping in the ground.
    That piping can be horizontal mounted or vertical drilled,both solutions having plus or minuses.

Alongside the piping loop for the heat pump,you can run some additional piping (maybe a 600mm at least) that you run in the ground and with an open secure cover for intake of the air.
    That will keep the air/ pipe at a higher air temperature than having the intake of the HRV unit on the wall or on the roof,fully exposed to outdoor temperatures and prone to freezing.

More "how-to" background H E R E and H E R E and H E R E and H E R E ...

AFAIK...in order to get geothermal heat pump,you need to run some piping in the ground.
    That piping can be horizontal mounted or vertical drilled,both solutions having plus or minuses.

Alongside the piping loop for the heat pump,you can run some additional piping (maybe a 600mm at least) that you run in the ground and with an open secure cover for intake of the air.
    That will keep the air/ pipe at a higher air temperature than having the intake of the HRV unit on the wall or on the roof,fully exposed to outdoor temperatures and prone to freezing.

More "how-to" background H E R E and H E R E and H E R E and H E R E ...

Unless you can DIY it I dont think you'd get your extra capital investment back. MHRV is highly efficient as is so adding in this extra gubbins is just going to complicate matters for little actual gain.

KCross wrote: »
    Unless you can DIY it I dont think you'd get your extra capital investment back. MHRV is highly efficient as is so adding in this extra gubbins is just going to complicate matters for little actual gain.

How can myself or yourself can calculate a RoI on a few meters of piping going underground rather than on the roof or side of the wall ?
    I given my opinion,when the time comes i will do it and post the results ...at the end of the loop or piping is your choice...

Take a nice cup of warm coffee and read H E R E ... replace values from his area with our values...
    I can confirm that my geothermal greenhouse H E R E warms up the air inside with 7 degrees on a cold day / morning.Loop i sonly at about 50cm deep... Not sure for how long,as is not thermo insulated but apply this to a house and you will see the constant result(s).

• Advertisement

How can myself or yourself can calculate a RoI on a few meters of piping going underground rather than on the roof or side of the wall ?
    I given my opinion,when the time comes i will do it and post the results ...at the end of the loop or piping is your choice...

Take a nice cup of warm coffee and read H E R E ... replace values from his area with our values...
    I can confirm that my geothermal greenhouse H E R E warms up the air inside with 7 degrees on a cold day / morning.Loop i sonly at about 50cm deep... Not sure for how long,as is not thermo insulated but apply this to a house and you will see the constant result(s).

My HRV is rated at 95%+ efficiency. I haven't checked the veracity of the efficiency figure tbf but I suspect its not wildly out.

Any savings you make by adding that system are going to be minimal in our Irish climate. Are you going to save a couple of % over the course of the year? Maybe yes, maybe not. Its going to be a very small amount of money saved in the context of an efficient house with Geothermal heating.

So, unless you can do it for almost free (i.e. why I mentioned DIY) it will be a waste of your money as it will take decades to recoup the costs.

KCross wrote: »
    My HRV is rated at 95%+ efficiency. I haven't checked the veracity of the efficiency figure tbf but I suspect its not wildly out.

Any savings you make by adding that system are going to be minimal in our Irish climate. Are you going to save a couple of % over the course of the year? Maybe yes, maybe not. Its going to be a very small amount of money saved in the context of an efficient house with Geothermal heating.

So, unless you can do it for almost free (i.e. why I mentioned DIY) it will be a waste of your money as it will take decades to recoup the costs.

Is your opinion and i respect it.

My HRV is as well highly rated but i will love to get an intake of 15ish degree in the winter rather than 5ish...and "reduce" the radiators degrees numbers down.

However,i am trying to squeze every degree,every watt, every gram and millimeter of the natural recyclable resources until i'm happy that i reached the extreme...
    Cost associated,hmm,where was my mind when I got infected and began this adventure... :)

Enjoy the adventure...

445474.jpg

445475.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Haz17

So any thoughts on the following-

Air to Water: Mitsubishi Ecodan w85 8.5kw , Stiebel Eltron or Heliotherm

MVHR: Vent Axia, Sentinel Kinetic or Salda Smarty

Got prices back on all but hard to compare like for like so any experiences with them would be much apprieciated.

Thanks

Advertisement