Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding Shotgun

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

8,000m easy row last night. 34:32 HR 125 avg 139 max
    21,097m row tonight. 1:29:33 HR 140 avg 159 max

Hands holding up. Body too. Christmas around the corner now so need to shed a dozen lbs or more before I replace it with mince pies ðŸ˜

1:29 in one sitting...fair play.

How's the CF going?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey P. Ditched the CF. Can never make the class after kiddie bedtime routine. Yeah just did the 1:29 to do the 3hr pace. 45 days to the marathon attempt

5,000m erg before breakfast in 18:59. Pace 1:53.9/500m. Started easy at 20 spm then built the rate to 22-24-26-28 each km. Max HR 184 which is near actual max.

Been a couple of weeks as health got in the way again. Grand now.

Tuesday: 8,000m row Z4 in 31:45 HR avg 156 max 173
    Wednesday: 16,000m row Z2 in 1:08:06 HR avg 141 max 155
    Today: 30 minutes straight on a 600g hula hoop

Mulling over some events for 2018 and beyond. Harder to do when you are unfit.

A run! 8.05km in 39:20 in the cold. Legs and lungs wondering what the hell. It took 20mins to get warm and I wore hat and gloves. HR 154 avg 173 max. Straight out and back as daylight closed. Pace 4:53 but I was working a little. I'll try not to leave it months before the next one...

Legs a little stiff today so easy 8,000m row in 34:25 HR avg 125 max 136. Took nothing out of me. Active recovery.

• Advertisement

Z4 threshold 8,000m row earlier in 31:23. A full 22 seconds ahead of the pace boat or in rowing terms "a distance". HR avg 153 max 171. Pace 1:57.7/500m. Good tempo session. Rated 24spm instead of the usual 20-22spm.

Unplanned run from work. I was late leaving and had to get to the cre. So a 3.5km dash in full suit, jacket, rucksack, umbrella to get there. Made it. Good sweaty 20 mins in the cold. I'll be lucky not to get a cold.

Later, much later in fact, 8,000m (again) Z2 capped row in 32:46 HR avg 144 max 154. 10 weeks ago it took 34 minutes and an avg/max HR of 146/156. So, aerobic fitness has improved. I think I'll apply the same monotonous benchmarking to getting run fit too, at least until I'm fit to train.

Wednesday
    20 mins on the hula hoop
    Then 8x1,000m reps on the erg with 2 mins active recovery. Avg rep 3:42.6 pace 1:51.3/500m HR avg 16 max 184.

Good tough workout. Better than last time I did this. The last rep was mostly over 180hr

Week 1
    Mon: 30 mins aerobic row
    Tue: 7.78km run
    Wed: 7.77km run and a 30 min aerobic row
    Thu: 30 min harder row
    Fri: Swim 2.5km
    Sat: ---
    Sun: ---

While I was happy to get a couple of short runs done, I was not happy to miss the longer run at the weekend. Life conspired. It will be prioritized this week

The swim was a matter of survival. I didn't even complete the set and I was in a slower lane. Some recognized me from another life and stood back to let me lead out 6x50, 6x100 hard and then 6x200. I did the 100s then let the queue behind me off as I struggled to complete 3 of the 6 200s. Like swimming through wet cement.

For reference the 100s were 1:35/1:38/1:39/1:39/1:41/1:42... and as the times got slower I was working even harder. I bowed out of the 200s as I was getting nothing from it, no quality. The watch was set up for a 20m pool and tried to tell me afterwards that it took me an hour to swim 1km! It was bad but not that bad

Week 2
    Mon: 45 mins row, 11,370m pace 1:58.7 - crashed out, no energy
    Tue: Tummy bug, hence no energy Monday night
    Wed: Still ropey
    Thu: 6km run, pace 4:59 feeling better
    Fri: Swim 3,100m and later 60 mins zone 2 row, 14,356m pace 2:05.3
    Sat: 8km run , pace 5:15
    Sun: 60 min zone 2 row 14,370m pace 2:05.2

Overall about 5 hours this week. Still just getting the body used to moving again. No longer run but plenty of time to build that in. Given 2 days missed with a nasty bug going around the family its ok.

The swim: Group session and main set was
    200m/3x100m/200m in on 3:10/1:31/1:31/1:33/3:16
    6x 150m all at 1:39-1:41 pace

No leading out stuff, just sat in a few bodies back and worked hard to keep up. Happy to just finish out the session this week. I said to myself that if I swim once a week in January I'll negotiate a second swim with Caz. Its all about juggling the kids in the morning. I'm not going to make any progress with a single weekly swim and even 2 will only get me back to a feel of the water but its better than nothing. I'd love to a couple of OW swims this summer and I just want to be fit enough to last 6km.

I had a bit of a think about events and while nothing specific yet
    • An autumn Marathon - either Amsterdam, Berlin or Dublin, ideally under 3 hours. Completely dependent on being in shape to train for one by May
    • A couple of swims - Glendalough and WoTS are 2 I've done before and thoroughly enjoyed (when fit). Completely dependent on getting some training done
    • Some trekking - The Maamturks Challenge has eluded me the last few years. It would be nice to get in this year as I love that range.
    • Work Lessons for Life Duathlon. 100-160km cycle in the Wicklow hills day 1 and a half or full marathon day 2
    • A big AR is lurking in the back of my mind but between work, small kids, budget, being unfit and no time with the compass it just may not be feasible/realistic. Maybe a 24hr event for fun.
    • Row a full marathon on the Concept 2 erg under 3 hours and complete 1,000,000m this year

• Advertisement

Week 3
    Mon: 60 min Z2 Row 14,307m pace 2:05.8
    Tue (1): 30 min Z2 row 7,374 pace 2:02 and 30 min erg paddle @41spm felt pretty awake for 4:30am!
    Tue (2): pm 30 min Z1 recovery row at 10pm.. long day..
    Wed: Swim 2,900m
    Thu: Run 6.38km from work at lunch, bitterly cold, pace 4:46 tracking my ground contact balance as my right hip tends to sink leading to other issues
    Fri: Yoga for an hour after madness on the M7 and M50
    Sat: Run 10.9km slowly at 5:15 pace. Weather is just brutal
    Sun: Up all night Sat night with Evan. I was a shadow of myself

Overall about 5 hours again this week. There was a longer run and row planned in but didn't happen. Broken or no sleep on many nights this week. Just getting something done most days was enough.

The swim: 11x100m main set off 1:50. In on 1:30/1:37/1:38/1:38/1:39/1:39/1:40/1:40/1:42/1:39 then 6x50m max and 6x150m first 4 at 1:39-1:40 then I took the last 2 out at 1:37-1:38 pace.

Overall the pacing was all over the place. The Lane lead is a swimmer but a 1:30 first 100 was way too fast, then the pace dwindled midway through the set. Not complaining, just happy to get another swim done. By the time I took the last 2 150s I noticed I had a rowing Olympian and former world Champion on my feet. When everyone else fell off the last 2 150s, she was still there smiling as it hurt more. I used to have nicknames for swimmers (fish) in my lane. I'll call her Rio. So that's 3 of the 4 planned swims for January. If I get one done this week my reward to myself is getting membership and doing more swimming.

The Maamturks Challenge entry opens tonight. Its not a race but sells out fast. Haven't had to set a reminder for an event since the last time I did Kilkee!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

The Maamturks Challenge entry opens tonight. Its not a race but sells out fast. Haven't had to set a reminder for an event since the last time I did Kilkee!

:D Ditto. I just sent a mail to the usual suspects to remind them.

Speaks volumes about the event that it sells out so quickly. I remember when I used to post my entry in with a postal order and only a handful of people turned up to do it.

Neady83 wrote: »
    :D Ditto. I just sent a mail to the usual suspects to remind them.

Speaks volumes about the event that it sells out so quickly. I remember when I used to post my entry in with a postal order and only a handful of people turned up to do it.

I don't believe it. Was waiting. Clicked tickets at literally 7:01 and none left. Waiting list. I'll go up and trek the range on my own if I have to but it would be nice to get into this event just once! Any luck yourself or have ye all secretly secured the tickets :-(

I don't believe it. Was waiting. Clicked tickets at literally 7:01 and none left. Waiting list. I'll go up and trek the range on my own if I have to but it would be nice to get into this event just once! Any luck yourself or have ye all secretly secured the tickets :-(

Check it out now. People seemed to be able to get them at 8 and 9 o clock. I was lucky enough to get one :) there will be plenty of bandits hiking and running it :)

Never know who reads your log...!

Our Lane Lead (Hi S!) called me out on the fact that she is not a swimmer! My bad, it was an assumption based on how she A) Schools the boys in the lane and dishes out the pain from the lead and B) Is the sister of a significant Irish Marathon swimmer who has swam the English Channel 33km, The Catalina Channel 34km and Circumnavigated Manhattan Island 46km!

Anyway, morto even more now.

Since I hit my 1 swim a week/or 4 swims in January goal, I will sort out membership after payday. Then its hopefully 2 swims a week which will set me up better for some summer OW swimming. Simple things that give us joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

You're swimming well for limited hours, good times there that suggest the gills won't be long opening up. Sounds like you're enjoying it anyway!

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    You're swimming well for limited hours, good times there that suggest the gills won't be long opening up. Sounds like you're enjoying it anyway!
    Thanks, I wouldn't call it swimming well. I'm in the middle lane hanging onto feet. Limited indeed.
    Swimming Totals the last 2 years
    2017 - 7km from 4 swims in January. 11 months of Zero swimming.
    2016 - 46km from 22 swims - that was my sum total training for Challenge Galway!

Honestly my swim goals this year are to try to swim at least once a week and complete some OW summer swims. But I'm enjoying it, you are right

Week 4
    Mon: 60 min Z2 row 14,603m pace 2:03.3 and 30 min paddle after at 37spm
    Tue: 30 min Z2 row 7,378m pace 2:01.9 and 30 min paddle after at 34spm
    Wed: Swim 3,300 main set 24x100m
    Thu: 30 min easy run 6.2km and an hour of Yoga later
    Fri: Swim 2,300m main set 4x200m, 2x(100m/2x50m max), 4x200m
    Sat: An hour run 12.1km
    Sun: 21,097 (half marathon) row pace 2:05.8

Overall 8.5 hours this week. Much improved. High of the week was the Friday swim, I felt great for hours afterwards and the weigh in. Low of the week was the Monday row/paddle. Just felt rubbish and tired.

The swim(s):
    Wednesday was more endurance. the 24x100m was broken into 3sets of 8x with a minute or 90sec (not sure) between. I lead out the middle set (in the middle lane) and came in on 1:35/1:39/1:40/1:39/1:40/1:41/1:41/1:41. The first rep is always fresh and faster but I should try to keep it steadier. Found my rhythm soon after though.

Friday was a short speedy bit bookended by 4x200m steady. The 2x100m/2x50s came in at 1:27/41/39 and 1:26/41/42 not bad and I didn't sacrifice the stroke. The lane leads and a couple of others usually ahead of me were in the fast lane so I got to lead out the second 4x200m. The set finished a few minutes earlier than usual so I just stayed in and had the whole lane to myself for 400m aerobic focusing on my hip starting the rotation. Really enjoyed this varied swim

I haven't weighed myself in 2018. Figured so as not to become obsessed with it I'll weigh in at the end of each month. I started at the end of December at 85kg and 38inch waist. 5 weeks later its 83.7kg and 36.5 inch waist. I'd generally go through 80-100 biscuits per month (conservative estimate) and have not had one yet. That, some exercise, more water and more protein seems to be working. Now, to keep it up...

Week 5
    Mon: Yoga 50 mins
    Tue: Run 9.21km pace 4:37 followed by 45 mins paddle erg at 41spm
    Wed: Swim 3,400m
    Thu: ---
    Fri: ---
    Sat: ---
    Sun: ---

Overall 3.5 hours and sigh... no reason/excuses for the bottom falling out of the week, just life. No moaning, moving on...

The one run had a notably faster pace than it should. It was a lovely evening and I hit a kind of zone for 4km where, knowing the effort was a bit higher, it just felt good to turn the legs over. The heavens opened just as I got in the door too to make it more satisfying.

The swim main set was 10x150m which were very steady. In on 2:29, 2:30, 2:30, 2:31, 2:32, 2:30, 2:31, 2:29, 2:29, 2:30 - Average pace 1:40
    I took over the lane lead for 6x100m negative split next and did a pretty poor job of it. I have no business leading out, I'm not fit enough.

Week 6

Overall 3.5 hours again. Not worth a summary. 2 swims, a short run and yoga then all kids and rugby for the weekend. Enjoying the swimming and would like to swim more but twice a week negotiated. That's it. I was good with diet all of January but the last week back to old habits. It's just a few days then 6.5 long weeks of Lent so no harm.

• Advertisement

Week 6

Overall 3.5 hours again. Not worth a summary. 2 swims, a short run and yoga then all kids and rugby for the weekend. Enjoying the swimming and would like to swim more but twice a week negotiated. That's it. I was good with diet all of January but the last week back to old habits. It's just a few days then 6.5 long weeks of Lent so no harm.

I have a good friend I swim with, a few weeks back I was complaining about something small that was getting in the way of my training. She had no sympathy and told me to "sort your sh!t out". Words that have stayed with me the past month.

Your swim times are looking great from what I can see on Garmin Connect. You don't need to wait a few days until Lent, sort your sh!t out now!

I have a good friend I swim with, a few weeks back I was complaining about something small that was getting in the way of my training. She had no sympathy and told me to "sort your sh!t out". Words that have stayed with me the past month.

Your swim times are looking great from what I can see on Garmin Connect. You don't need to wait a few days until Lent, sort your sh!t out now!

Cheers Kurt. The Plan is up on the Fridge door since last night! Including a column for Caz and one for Zoe and her Hockey Tots on Saturday mornings. Alex's school and club rugby sessions/matches are set plus its a team sport so no column required.

Sorting ones Sh!t out is going to involve 5-6am and shuffling meetings around in work to cut some space out of the day. But its not like I haven't been there before

Cheers Kurt. The Plan is up on the Fridge door since last night! Including a column for Caz and one for Zoe and her Hockey Tots on Saturday mornings. Alex's school and club rugby sessions/matches are set plus its a team sport so no column required.

Sorting ones Sh!t out is going to involve 5-6am and shuffling meetings around in work to cut some space out of the day. But its not like I haven't been there before

No better man! :D

I hear you on balancing work/family, never an easy task. Control the controlables (diet etc) and the rest will fall into place. I mean it about those swim times, you must have good swim memory!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

All about those spinning plates ;)

No better man!

I hear you on balancing work/family, never an easy task. Control the controlables (diet etc) and the rest will fall into place. I mean it about those swim times, you must have good swim memory!

I wouldn't read into Garmin Connect Kurt. I have fins on most of the time for the warm up. My lane pace is generally 1:40 (or off 1:45-1:50) for the sessions and I'm not leading out. Usually off 2nd or 3rd. I am managing the pace fine and can close the 5 sec gap up so next thing would be to share the lead out. Fast lane is off 1:30 and that's just unrealistic swimming twice a week
    sconhome wrote: »
    All about those spinning plates ;)
    Well stranger! Yes, need to eat my own word every day of Lent for starters!

Week 7
    Mon: Row 30mins aerobic 7,436m pace 2:01.0 and 6km commute in the snow :-)
    Tue: Paddle erg for an hour 9.8km and 5.9km commute on foot
    Wed: Swim session 3,500m including 4x hard 200ms and 5.9km run at 4:57 pace
    Thu: Run 6.1km Lent streak, pace 4:50
    Fri: Swim session 3,100m including 400m hard and 4x100m hard, then a 6.2km easy run later. Right calf a little tight
    Sat: Run 6.1km easy again took it very easy
    Sun: Run 5km up and back to local Church. Calf grand. Later (11pm) row 60 mins aerobic 14,460m pace 2:04.4.

Overall 9.5 hours and although the row last night was 11-12pm I felt good. The calf niggle was a normal sign of risk when I start any run streak so I limited the runs to 5-6km and will monitor carefully.

I enjoyed the swims as usual and wish I could swim more.

The Wednesday session main set was 5x(200m hard/4x50m moderate). The 200ms were 3:11, 3:09, 3:19, 3:11. I lead out the 3:09 and the last 3:11. I felt ok, the stroke held together and I tried to pace evenly so not to fade. I have a tendency to shoot off to close the gap on the lead swimmer when I'm not leading

The Friday session main set was 4x150m, 3x200m, 400m in 6:47 and 4x100m in 1:30, 1:30, 1:28, 1:27. I just left 5 secs after the lead on the 400m and didn't hit the red zone. For the 100ms I either left 10 secs or lead off so I was pleased with those.

I got through week 1 of Lent but as usual making up for it with cereals, bread etc.. I'll try to curb that this week

My French housemate brought me a jar of Pomme Caramel jam on her return from France this evening. It's really good but I'm not really a jam person. Happy to stick it in the post if you'd like it, I know how much you like jam :)

Oh, how's Lent going?

Neady83 wrote: »
    My French housemate brought me a jar of Pomme Caramel jam on her return from France this evening. It's really good but I'm not really a jam person. Happy to stick it in the post if you'd like it, I know how much you like jam :)

Oh, how's Lent going?
    Ah Neady thanks, that's so generous. Hopefully I'll get up for the Maamturks and see you then. Lent is going. I was at a work away thing yesterday with biscuits and chocolate all over the place. Came away clean. Toast is not the same without a little jam or marmalade though. I think once you are over the first week it gets easier. Came close to failing the run every day thing last night but dragged myself out for the minimum 5k slow and dreary.

Week 8
    Mon (1): Run 6.58km pace 4:49 and 36mins commute
    Mon (2): Paddle erg 30 mins 4.44km
    Tue (1): Run 8.15km pace 4:58 and 25min commute
    Tue (2): Row 30 mins Z2, 7,432m
    Wed (1): Swim session 2,700m
    Wed (2): Run 6.65km pace 4:42
    Thurs: Run 5km and Yoga 50 mins
    Fri: Swim session 3,000m
    Sat: N/A
    Sun N/A

Overall despite best effort, just 7.5hrs. Lots of short session to get a rhythm of training back. Not happy about that at all. Twisted my knee playing with the kids on Friday and it was sore all weekend. To make it worse I slipped on wet tiles and came down heavy on the other knee bruising it. Felt like I had knees of a 90 yr old. On the upside both are better, bar some bruises, today and some runs in the snow hopefully featuring this week. One of my favourite things.

The swims:
    Wednesday: main set 8x200ms endurance. I lead out the middle 4 and went off too fast. I'll get back to pacing properly as fitness slowly returns. 400m aerobic after the main set on my own in 6:59

Friday: The usual fast 50s and then 4x100m max. I lead so could give them a go. 1:26, 1:26, 1:27, 1:30. Nothing to write home about but I was generally happy with them since I didn't sacrifice form. Tied up in the last one. 400m aerobic after the main session on my own in 7:02

• Advertisement

..... it wasn't me that spilled water on the tiles!!!

Glad there's no lasting damage done M. I'm really hoping for snow too though I'd like enough that I don't have to go to school but not enough that would impact on getting some outdoor running done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement