Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding Shotgun

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Was all up for a run this evening but head cold and nose running like a tap. Better to get some sleep than invite this on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Just saw a bunch of pics from Bled. Have you ever been tempted to go racing masters/vet?

pgibbo wrote: »
    Just saw a bunch of pics from Bled. Have you ever been tempted to go racing masters/vet?

Yes. Actually building a base fitness on the erg and might do some rowing next summer. You?

Good stuff. I'd love to, but training times don't currently align due to kids swimming, rugby, GAA :)

A run! At long last. Just 5.84km at 4:41 pace at lunchtime but avg HR 157 and max 176 yikes. Warm and I sweated buckets. A couple of tiny hills felt like hills

Later 8,000m on the rower in 33:18 avg HR 145 max 158. Finished a length behind the pace boat but more effort too. Not too bad as nothing yet done this week die to head cold. Head cold more or less gone now leaving the usual chesty cough.

• Advertisement

8,000m on the erg Z2 capped in 33:10. Avg HR 143 max 155. Beat my pace boat by a quarter of a length with it catching me. Good

Later
    Another 8,000m easier like last week in 34:37. Avg HR 134 max 144. A few beats higher than last week but I have a chesty cough so not surprising.

Skipped yesterday as asthma was giving me grief all day.
    16,000m row today instead in 1:09:06. Avg HR 139 max 151. A length ahead of the pace boat and more comfortable. Took control and kept the rhythm bang on 20 spm.

8,000m row Aerobic in 33:09. Avg HR 147 max 156
    Finished just 1 second ahead of my pace boat with it catching me. A bit too soon after my late dinner so not the best session. As soon as this cough lifts I'll bring in some intervals and threshold stuff.

16,000m on the Concept 2 rower in 1:08:46. Avg HR 138 max 154. 3 lengths ahead of my pace boat. Really good controlled session. Felt good. Late eating now but couldn't have started any earlier.

8,000m Z2 row in 33:01 avg HR 144 max 155. Finished a length ahead of the pace boat. Didn't think I would as HR climbed too quickly the first 3k. Settled and found a rhythm then though.

• Advertisement

Friday
    15x 200m sprints on a track. It was a company marathon challenge. Complete a full marathon as a team of 14, 200m at a time relay style. Sounds innocent enough but with over 7 minutes between your reps the heart rate drops and you get cold. Got it done without injuring myself but knew I'd pay for it. Met mossym there with his crew too. I wonder if he aches as I do now?

Saturday
    2hrs40 min trek up to the cross on Carrauntoohill via the Devils Ladder with a gang from work. Cloudy and a bit wet but no wind. I could feel the sprints from Friday in my quads and core on the scramble. Nothing but grey clouds up there.

2hrs39 min trek back down via the Zig Zags so we actually had to climb another bit on that route choice. Some short breaks in the cloud to see the whole mountain from the lower lakes to tiny specs of people around the cross at the summit. Since I had a map and compass 2 other groups of students followed us to make a right big gang. Very enjoyable day out although today, Sunday, my legs are wrecked!

Took yesterday off too. Legs needed it. The usual 8,000m row today capped Z2 in 33:14. Avg HR 147 max 156. Got to 4k and HR was already at 150 so pulled the effort back to finish 2 lengths behind the pace boat. The chesty cough is slowly improving. If it clears by the weekend I'll have a go with a capped half marathon.

Wont bring any intensity to it until I'm completely healthy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Sorry to hear of the cough Mike, there's a lot of them going around and they seem to take an age to shift! Regarding the asthma, Aldi are selling neck warmers/snoods at the moment, I wore one last night and it seemed to make a difference to breathing. Might be placebo, but if it helps you run during these colder nights...

16,000m on the erg again in 1:08:39. Avg HR 141 MAX 156. Was on a good rhythm up to 10k and 3 lengths ahead of the pace boat but then my heart rate climbed faster and was at 153 by 12k. (Cap is 155) Had to dial it back and finished a length ahead with the pace boat chasing me down. Yesterday I did 8x 30 sec planks with 30 sec rest after the erg. A little stiff today but apparently planks are the way to go to get the core back in shape.
    Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    Sorry to hear of the cough Mike, there's a lot of them going around and they seem to take an age to shift! Regarding the asthma, Aldi are selling neck warmers/snoods at the moment, I wore one last night and it seemed to make a difference to breathing. Might be placebo, but if it helps you run during these colder nights...

Thanks for the tip. I'm used to it. Been on 30mg of steroids the last 8 days to shift it. They do take ages to shift hence why I'm keeping the exercise capped at aerobic base level.

Another 8,000m row later today. Easier in 34:35 avg HR 138 max 150. 24k over 2 sessions today. Should be able to do 21km at the weekend. We'll see

Another 8,000m row later today. Easier in 34:35 avg HR 138 max 150. 24k over 2 sessions today. Should be able to do 21km at the weekend. We'll see

21k on the C2? I had assumed when you said half marathon you meant running :)

21k on the C2? I had assumed when you said half marathon you meant running :)
    Yep on the C2. The 2nd sub 3 goal is 42.2k on the C2! Its only holding 2:05 or about 175 watts (a little more really to allow for water breaks) but for 3 hours! Hence why I am developing the base first (and to get my hands prepared).

Sadist!!!!! :P

@pgibbo maybe I am!

8x 1,000m on the rower late tonight with 2 mins active recovery. Avg HR 144 max 172. Avg rep 4:00.6. Started out at 4:05 and pressed a bit more every rep. Didn't want to blow up. Judged it well not crossing into red zone. Overall 10,973m in 48 mins

Had the guts of a week off due to chesty cough. So another 8,000m row to get back into it on Wednesday. 33:05 avg HR 146 max 156. I thought it would be slower as I felt tired but held it together to finish just a half length behind the pace boat.

Went to see Blade Runner 2049 last night. Really enjoyed it. That's the last 3 from Denis Villeneuve that I've liked with my favourite being last year's Arrival.

• Advertisement

8x 1,000m on the rower late tonight with 2 mins active recovery. Avg HR 144 max 172. Avg rep 4:00.6. Started out at 4:05 and pressed a bit more every rep. Didn't want to blow up. Judged it well not crossing into red zone. Overall 10,973m in 48 mins

So, back to it and repeated this to start again, late at night. Average rep was 3:55.2 which was better but I spent 8 minutes or 18% of the session in the red zone. Avg HR 153 Max HR 182. Overall 10,899m. Nice blister on middle finger formed by rep 4 and burst on rep 7.

My Bro does this session regularly and he is on an avg of 3:45 per rep. That's the immediate goal :-)

8x 1,000m on the rower
    Avg rep 3:47.0
    Avg HR 157 Max 183
    11,170m in 46:13 enjoyed it listening to Jenny Greene on the radio. Brought the stroke rate up to 24/25 but still spent nearly 11 of the 30mins interval work in the red zone

16,000m on the rower in 1:08:16
    Avg HR 141 max 154 finished 3 lengths up on the pace boat. Good session. Something different tomorrow now that I'm healthy again

Crossfit tonight at 7:30
    Started with a 400m hard run, then a chat.
    Various exercises with just the 20kg bar for technique
    Overhead wide grip squats with just the 20kg bar - reps 9-7-5-3-3-3-3

The WOD - workout of the day
    3 sets of as many reps as you can in 1 min each - No rest. Total 18 minutes and I completed 282 reps.
    • Wall balls 9kg
    • Sumo squat with lift with 35kg bar
    • Box jumps
    • Shoulder press with 35kg bar
    • Bike or Rower hard
    • Rest
    There was some name for the WAD but I forget. I was breathing very heavy afterwards and hamstrings and shoulders were in bits

30 minutes later I was home and on the rower for 8,000m Z2 in 34:14
    My body was like jelly starting, particularly abs, hamstrings and shoulders. I also hadn't eaten much since lunchtime so I had barely enough energy to complete it. Thought about stopping many times.

WOD ;)

How you finding? How was your OHS? My thoracic mobility is crap and as a result so is my OHS

WOD ;)

How you finding? How was your OHS? My thoracic mobility is crap and as a result so is my OHS

No flies on you! I was in a bind after the row and shoveling food while typing!

OHS is ok. Mobility grand, its the neglect of the core and not having weight above my head in yonks' that's part of the problem. Its my busted left shoulder that's the other part!

8,000m row tonight. Z4 for a change capped HR at 172. 31:56 avg HR 157 Max 172. Started easy as abs, shoulders and especially hamstrings were sore. Once warmed up pushed on a bit. Keeping the stroke rate down at 20 strokes per minute for more strength.

30 mins light conditioning afterwards including 8x 30sec planks, 160 reps various shoulder reps with band and light dumbell and some stretching.

8,000m easy row last night. 34:32 HR 125 avg 139 max
    21,097m row tonight. 1:29:33 HR 140 avg 159 max

Hands holding up. Body too. Christmas around the corner now so need to shed a dozen lbs or more before I replace it with mince pies ðŸ˜

8,000m erg tonight. Body tired after the half marathon last night. 33:50 HR 136 avg 155 max. Felt a bit drained actually. More sleep needed.

• Advertisement

Another 8,000m capped aerobic row in 32:48. HR avg 143 max 153. Felt better, more energy. I was down in the shed for an errand and the bikes were calling me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement