Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm all in on Crypto, time to cash some out, but when!!!

Options
  • 17-02-2018 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

90% of my money is in crypto, the rest is fiat. Not a huge amount, but still :D
    I'd like to diversify into some non crypto assets, but it's so bloody hard to know when to take profit. And, from what? I guess skimming an equal amount from each holding? I'd like to cash out 20%.

Things are looking pretty bullish right now, so may hold off a little, I know it's almost impossible to pick the top... Probably set up some sell orders, ladder out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Sell on things you don't think have the potential to 2x or more and leave whatever could do same in increases in the next 2mths IMO. Skimming a bit from everything may or may not be wise depending on your portfolio mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

It's interesting that you use the username 'bacon?' as the old addage applies;

"Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered'.

Don't be a hog. If you are up, then cash in a significant proportion of what you have. Up until a few weeks ago, I was in a similar position i.e. 90% of my net worth in crypto. It was a significant amount and whilst I should have been happy out, I was truly miserable. It's just far too volatile to have those sort of proportions vested in it. I was gong around checking prices every 30 seconds - night and day.

I wouldn't recommend leaving yourself exposed like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭bacon?

It's interesting that you use the username 'bacon?' as the old addage applies;

"Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered'.

Don't be a hog.  If you are up, then cash in a significant proportion of what you have.  Up until a few weeks ago, I was in a similar position i.e. 90% of my net worth in crypto.  It was a significant amount and whilst I should have been happy out, I was truly miserable.  It's just far too volatile to have those sort of proportions vested in it. I was gong around checking prices every 30 seconds - night and day.

I wouldn't recommend leaving yourself exposed like that.
    Checking prices every 30 seconds! Sounds like you did the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

bacon? wrote: »
    Checking prices every 30 seconds! Sounds like you did the right thing.
    Yes, it was good to get out. Of course, there will always be the what if's ...what if i had bought back in at 6k and sold at 11k but hindsight is 20/20. If you make a decent profit, then realise the profit before it evaporates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Yes nobody ever made a loss taking profit

I have learnt that the hard way

• Advertisement
Advertisement