Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six Nations: France v Italy Match Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Neil3030 wrote: »
    You've made 22 posts since 2013.

That's an average of 4.4 posts per year.

So you allocated nearly 25% of your annual posting allowance to post this.

Outstanding, sir.

Boom!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Italy in the dressing room already.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

Are we getting to the stage where we have to start seriously questioning Italy's continued involvement in this tournament? Can anyone honestly say they've improved in the 18 years they've been in it? An odd surprise win here and there but generally getting hidings on a majority of occasions including here against possibly the worst French team in living memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

FCIM wrote: »
    Are we getting to the stage where we have to start seriously questioning Italy's continued involvement in this tournament? Can anyone honestly say they've improved in the 18 years they've been in it? An odd surprise win here and there but generally getting hidings on a majority of occasions including here against possibly the worst French team in living memory.

It wont happen so pointless discussing it

Benetton and zebre have been hugely better this year. That will take time to feed into the national side though if they can keep improving

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Benetton and zebre have been hugely better this year. That will take time to feed into the national side though if they can keep improving

In the poorest league in top level European rugby.

I agree it won't happen but they devalue the tournament and I'm saying that as a serious italophile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

The score line flatters the French. They have not been great, and the Italians have shown flashes of great play.

The Italians still have a long way to go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The score line flatters the French. They have not been great, and the Italians have shown flashes of great play.

The Italians still have a long way to go though.

France butchered about three tries from a couple of yards out.

France played all the rugby in that match really..

Few flashes from Italy but nothing of consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Scythica

Assume basta was motm?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

France should be kicked out of the 6 nations, they're not taking it seriously, playing a random team every game for the last 5 years

Or kick out Scotland, their record is almost as bad as Italy since the 6 nations was formed

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Chex LeMeneux

Jesus whoever tapped and went there should walk home

• Advertisement

Conor O'Shea was just interviewed on Dmax Italia (the Italian Six Nations broadcaster). Good grief, his Italian is rough lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

Conor O'Shea was just interviewed on Dmax Italia (the Italian Six Nations broadcaster). Good grief, his Italian is rough lol.

Yeah, funny considering his mother is from Bologna and he spent all his summers growing up over there

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Scythica wrote: »
    Assume basta was motm?

Camara

Yeah, funny considering his mother is from Bologna and he spent all his summers growing up over there

Genuinely?

He was using feminine words as if they were masculine and vice versa (even changing the ends of them, not just misusing il and la), his pronunciation was all over the place and the odd English word was thrown in too. Given that what he was saying wasn't that complicated and was about a topic he's working in every day, for a guy who has been in the job two years it surprised me.

I presume he must still live in Ireland and isn't getting the practice.

Akrasia wrote: »
    France should be kicked out of the 6 nations, they're not taking it seriously, playing a random team every game for the last 5 years

Or kick out Scotland, their record is almost as bad as Italy since the 6 nations was formed

Anyway...

I wouldn't kick anyone out. I might look at having a promotion/relegation playoff between the bottom 6N team and the champions of the Rugby Europe Championship. It'd give the tier 2 teams something to aspire to. At the moment, it's a closed shop and I don't see why, as examples, Georgia and Romania who are serious about the sport shouldn't get an opportunity against a team which is about to get it's thirteenth wooden spoon in nineteen tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Italy should at least be forced to challenge the team in division below - Georgia - home and away knockout - its too comfortable for them today as ther continuos losses have no ramifications - I think it would actually benefit Italian rugby if they were to participate in games they might win - Italy got into the 6 Nations on the back of a team that was competive and probably better than Ireland - today ther continuos defeats seam to have no consequnce - sport is about winning and losing -

thebaz wrote: »
    Italy should at least be forced to challenge the team in division below - Georgia - home and away knockout - its too comfortable for them today as ther continuos losses have no ramifications - I think it would actually benefit Italian rugby if they were to participate in games they might win - Italy got into the 6 Nations on the back of a team that was competive and probably better than Ireland - today ther continuos defeats seam to have no consequnce - sport is about winning and losing -

The problem is, I suspect, the powers that be would be petrified of one of the other five having a bad year and getting shocked by Georgia or Romania in a playoff. I agree it should happen, as I said above, but unrealistic as one of the other five losing, particularly across a two legged contest against Georgia or Romania would be I suspect it's the reason a playoff will never happen. That and I have a suspicion the suits wouldn't be too happy having to swap Rome for Bucharest/Tbilisi every two years should it come to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Italy would not lose to Georgia over two legs. It's not going to happen. Georgia play most of their games against tier 3 sides and then treat their games against tier 1/2 nations as cup finals. If they played higher tier nations regularly as Italy do, they simply don't have the set up to be anything close to competitive.

Italy were genuinely competitive when they were approved. They beat Ireland 3 times in the 90s for example. Georgia are not near that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Buer wrote: »
    Italy would not lose to Georgia over two legs. It's not going to happen. Georgia play most of their games against tier 3 sides and then treat their games against tier 1/2 nations as cup finals. If they played higher tier nations regularly as Italy do, they simply don't have the set up to be anything close to competitive.

Italy were genuinely competitive when they were approved. They beat Ireland 3 times in the 90s for example. Georgia are not near that level.

This is true. Italy are spots over Georgia and they are spots better over their next best. What is needed is a stronger second tier competition that can run complementary to 6N, possibly involving the B+I cup or academy set ups as well but that's another thread for another day. For now Italy need good management and coaching and to be involved where they are today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Genuinely?

He was using feminine words as if they were masculine and vice versa (even changing the ends of them, not just misusing il and la), his pronunciation was all over the place and the odd English word was thrown in too. Given that what he was saying wasn't that complicated and was about a topic he's working in every day, for a guy who has been in the job two years it surprised me.

Needs to get McKinley in as translator.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Didactic Ninja

Italy are a waste of everyone’s time. Launch them.

O Shea will be damaged by the whole thing. They are getting worse. Silk purse , sows ear etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

France are going to hurt England

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Genuinely?

He is our revenge for Trapattoni.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

There's a Bologna in Tipperary? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

Neil3030 wrote: »
    There's a Bologna in Tipperary? :confused:

Bruno's chipper in Tipp town according to Quinny
    :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Akrasia wrote: »

Didn't they do something similar under Lièvremont a few years back and only managed to get to the final of the World Cup?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Subscribers Posts: 41,202 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hermy wrote: »
    Didn't they do something similar under Lièvremont a few years back and only managed to get to the final of the World Cup?

Yeah
    Lievremont took something like 150 players into training camps before that world Cup. He hadn't a clue who his best team was.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Hermy wrote: »
    Didn't they do something similar under Liemont a few years back and only managed to get to the final of the World Cup?

That World Cup final was probably one of the worst things to happen for French rugby. It papered over some very large cracks and has been an excuse for a lot of mediocrity since. France has a lot of talented players, but no clear direction or gameplan to use them. Picking players because they are the best is all well and good, but utterly useless if they don’t suit the game you want to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,326 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Watching the match last night, I felt that Shaggy was incredibly harsh on Italy. He couldn't find a good word to say about them and tbh, I was a bit disapppointed. They're not by any means the finished article, but they were able to defend their line very well, had a decent enough set-piece, showed very good ball handling skills and have some really impressive strike runners. Sebastian Negri really stood out for me, he'd be in the conversation for an Ireland cap imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

stephen_n wrote: »
    That World Cup final was probably one of the worst things to happen for French rugby...

Ah, it was only said in jest and I agree with your comment.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement