Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Somewhere to watch Ireland match for touring U14 team

• 20-02-2018 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hello all,
    I have am bringing a team of U14s up from Spain this week to play a few matches and see the Leinster game on Friday night.

My problem is - we want to find somewhere to watch the Ireland / Wales match, but they are U14s so a guess a pub does not work.

Is there any kind Rugby Club out there (anywhere around Dublin) that would let us join them in their club house to watch the game? Or does anybody else have any ideas for me?

Many thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Chico Flores

Where in Dublin are you staying

As the game is on at 2:15 a bar/hotel shouldnt really have an issue with you watching provided the young lads behave themselves.

Can't see it being an issue with a rugby club either.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Elirlandes

Where in Dublin are you staying

As the game is on at 2:15 a bar/hotel shouldnt really have an issue with you watching provided the young lads behave themselves.

Can't see it being an issue with a rugby club either.

Cheers - we are staying in a hostel which doesn't really have the facilities - just off Gardiner Street.

I guess I will make a bunch of calls around the various clubs in town - but any one who wants to invite us along, please do let me know...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Elirlandes wrote: »
    Cheers - we are staying in a hostel which doesn't really have the facilities - just off Gardiner Street.

I guess I will make a bunch of calls around the various clubs in town - but any one who wants to invite us along, please do let me know...
    would the club you are playing not have facilities to watch game and if they dont then ask them where they would recommend to watch is what i would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

If you're staying on Gardiner Street then I'd go to The Woolshed on Parnell Street. It's only a short walk from when you're staying. Maybe 10-15 minutes. It's a big place with two huge projector screens that'll show the game. It's an all sports pub so they'll be showing soccer too but the two biggest screens will be reserved for the rugby I'm sure. I don't know what their policy for kids is but I'm sure they'll be fine with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I guess you could contact Clontarf RFC and ask them? You're close to Connolly Station where you're staying, get the DART to Killester and then walk to the club. Probably less than 10 min train journey and 10 min walk.

Edit - Woolshed above is another idea, there generally isn't a problem with supervised kids in a pub early in the day, you could probably reserve and area and you could get some platters of food.

• Advertisement

Thanks gents - that is helpful. I will try Clontarf RFC and the Woolshed...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Clontarf is a good shout. Kids in there all the time for the matches. You’d be more than welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

would the club you are playing not have facilities to watch game and if they dont then ask them where they would recommend to watch is what i would do.

I would ask them first as well. If you can, perhaps ask about arranging a game beforehand and make a go of the day, even a light game of tag or touch or sevens or something.

Failing that, Clontarf would be a good host club as well and they have links to a few schools if you still want a game.

I would ask them first as well. If you can, perhaps ask about arranging a game beforehand and make a go of the day, even a light game of tag or touch or sevens or something.

Failing that, Clontarf would be a good host club as well and they have links to a few schools if you still want a game.

Thanks - in fact we are playing Clontarf on Sunday morning. I didn't want to impose on the Saturday before we kind of get to know them if you know what I mean. I have reached out to them, so we will see.

On Saturday morning we are playing a school that cannot accommodate us afterwards for the match - hence the search for somewhere to watch it.

It's definitely not as easy to get to, but Malahide RFC also have a large event room and would be showing it, you could contact them too. You can get a train to Malahide easily but you'd have to arrange to get there from the station, it's probably 3km from the station to the club and I doubt you want to bring a large group of kids on that long of a walk.

• Advertisement

It's definitely not as easy to get to, but Malahide RFC also have a large event room and would be showing it, you could contact them too. You can get a train to Malahide easily but you'd have to arrange to get there from the station, it's probably 3km from the station to the club and I doubt you want to bring a large group of kids on that long of a walk.

That might also be an idea, cheers - we are mobile (renting minivans) so transport is not an issue.

That might also be an idea, cheers - we are mobile (renting minivans) so transport is not an issue.

Ok well I would be fairly certain you could watch it there, get in touch with them. I watched some of the Lions test games there for example. It's probably 30-ish mins drive from where you're staying depending on traffic.

Thanks IO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Thanks - in fact we are playing Clontarf on Sunday morning. I didn't want to impose on the Saturday before we kind of get to know them if you know what I mean. I have reached out to them, so we will see.

On Saturday morning we are playing a school that cannot accommodate us afterwards for the match - hence the search for somewhere to watch it.

Ask them. I have no doubts that they will make you all very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

what school and where are you playing them

That would definitely help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

If you're playing in a rugby club, any club, they will expect you to be staying. I know my club would anyway.
    Clontarf are a good club with a decent sized bar. Stay there to.watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Hopefully you are sorted but if still stuck, try and give the Pavilion in Trinity College a call. Saturdays are not very busy and it might be easier to control a group there where there is a bit of grass outside to burn off their energy. Also it is not that far from your accommodation
    Contact details can be found here http://www.ducac.tcdlife.ie/pavilion/

Advertisement