Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭swiwi_

...without referring to what can't be referred to...too much information today...what is read can't be unread...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Anyone have Vodafone for tv and broadband? Coming in at half the price of virgin over the year with unlimited broadband and most of the tele channels.
    Pìssed off with virgin....not only is the horizon box useless but they rang herself yesterday to say the contract is coming to an end. She asked them for a discount and they offered a massive €5 a month off. She asked them how does this compare with your competitors. Their answer was "the €5 discount is there, take it or leave it"

They can fcuk right off now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

mfceiling wrote: »
    Anyone have Vodafone for tv and broadband? Coming in at half the price of virgin over the year with unlimited broadband and most of the tele channels.
    Pìssed off with virgin....not only is the horizon box useless but they rang herself yesterday to say the contract is coming to an end. She asked them for a discount and they offered a massive €5 a month off. She asked them how does this compare with your competitors. Their answer was "the €5 discount is there, take it or leave it"

Vodafone don't do their own repairs. So if there's an issue with the phone line Eir will have to fix it. So it always takes longer. As they'll fix EUR customers first

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I received the exact same phone call this morning and they were cheerfully told I'd be leaving them shortly. It's a €5 discount to enter into another 12 month contract with them and the discount is only applicable for the first 6 months.

No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I have Vodafone for broadband. I don't know how speeds compare but I'd have very few outages over 4 years.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,505 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ditched virgin tv there this month, got sky tv in. 1000 times better and actually cheaper than I was paying virgin for tv.

awec wrote: »
    Ditched virgin tv there this month, got sky tv in. 1000 times better and actually cheaper than I was paying virgin for tv.

I checked bonkers.ie and Vodafone are just over 500 quid for the 1st year compared to the 1080 we're paying virgin at the minute.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Buer wrote: »
    I received the exact same phone call this morning and they were cheerfully told I'd be leaving them shortly. It's a €5 discount to enter into another 12 month contract with them and the discount is only applicable for the first 6 months.

No thanks.

Can't get cable anymore, but in the last house where we could I called them to cancel and spent 45 mins on the phone to somewhere in Asia being offered increasing discounts to stay til I got half price for 9 months, think I saved €400 or so (had a tv/internet/phone bundle).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Zzippy wrote: »
    Can't get cable anymore, but in the last house where we could I called them to cancel and spent 45 mins on the phone to somewhere in Asia being offered increasing discounts to stay til I got half price for 9 months, think I saved €400 or so (had a tv/internet/phone bundle).

I did similar before but they made such a clusterf*ck of the new package (pretty much the same service just a lower cost and new package name) that I had to avail of the cooling off period. And then they made a complete mess of the switch back to my original package too so I basically was overcharged and messed about for about 2-3 months for no change to my service.

We're moving back in to our house in about 9 weeks and the plan is to cut them out at that point and never deal with them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Anyone using Vodafone in the city center? With Virgin at the moment but they are a complete rip off. Had Vodafone when I was in Wicklow and it was great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

stephen_n wrote: »
    Anyone using Vodafone in the city center? With Virgin at the moment but they are a complete rip off. Had Vodafone when I was in Wicklow and it was great.

I use vodafone and it is very expensive but the coverage is superb. I've a good few friends on vodafone because of how strong it is.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I use vodafone and it is very expensive but the coverage is superb. I've a good few friends on vodafone because of how strong it is.
    I think he means their broadband rather than their mobile network.

Their broadband is just standard ADSL over the phone line. Won't be anywhere near as fast as Virgin, will have all the usual ADSL congestion problems, but it's a lot cheaper.

I think Vodafone are rolling out that Siro broadband as well which theoretically gives speeds of up to a Gigabit/s but I think they're rolling that out to rural towns first instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Their broadband is just standard ADSL over the phone line. Won't be anywhere near as fast as Virgin, will have all the usual ADSL congestion problems, but it's a lot cheaper.

****e, I didn't read all the previous posts.

I use Sky Fibre which is pretty fast. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

We changed to Eir recently and have to say I'm very happy. They're half the price for the first 12 months and you get BT Sport free for all the rugby next year

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I think Vodafone are rolling out that Siro broadband as well which theoretically gives speeds of up to a Gigabit/s but I think they're rolling that out to rural towns first instead.

Was their Bord Gais collaboration on Siro not scrapped last year? I have to say, I've come to ****ing hate Virgin. Their support is utter ****e and the quality of BB service isn't much better. Their one saving grace is that their boxes still support pulse dialling, so my old rotary phone works a charm with it. Yep, grasping at straws.

Will be moving to Eir fibre as soon as it's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,326 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The convergence of mobile with fixed line broadband will be complete when 5G starts to roll out next year. So it could well be part of the conversation in a couple of years.

Nothing is as fast as Virgin, then again I don’t really need a 120gb line, to watch Netflix and stream some TV. It’s kind of overkill. I was getting 50 down and 20 up with Vodafone in Kilcoole, which was more than adequate for my needs. Just wondering with a possibly higher contention, what it’s like in the city center. To be honest Virgin is a bit like owning a Ferrari and driving in rush hour on the M50, nice to know you have the power, but feck all chance of using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

stephen_n wrote: »
    Nothing is as fast as Virgin, then again I don’t really need a 120gb line, to watch Netflix and stream some TV. It’s kind of overkill. I was getting 50 down and 20 up with Vodafone in Kilcoole, which was more than adequate for my needs. Just wondering with a possibly higher contention, what it’s like in the city center. To be honest Virgin is a bit like owning a Ferrari and driving in rush hour on the M50, nice to know you have the power, but feck all chance of using it.

We're only getting mid to high 30s in Greystones and we haven't had any issues with that at all. I can't see the need for anything like 120.

molloyjh wrote: »
    We're only getting mid to high 30s in Greystones and we haven't had any issues with that at all. I can't see the need for anything like 120.

If you had 2 or 3 devices streaming simultaneously, or maybe some serious gaming setup, it might make a difference. But I can’t see the average household ever using that sort of bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Hiked up the Jesuita Trail in the Santa Barbara mountains the other day. Very nice hike - varied terrain to keep it interesting, nothing too severe, gorgeous sea-views. I was recounting my hike to a colleague, however, and her first question was "Oh, did you see any tarantulas? There are tonnes of them up there".

Never going again. Ever. In fact, I have been locked in the bathroom of my downtown apartment ever since.

• Advertisement

I don't know a single thing about American football but if I had to have a team it's going to be the Seattle Seahawks on account of their defence being so ferocious that they are known as "the legion of doom".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭b.gud

A feicin Brown Thomas voucher! Are you feicin serious we're paying for a feicin wedding and you think to yourself, "do you know what they would really love, a voucher! Now where should I get it for somewhere that they can really use, I know Brown Thomas they'll get tonnes of use out of that."

I'm going to be getting seriously p*ssed off over the next few weeks at the s**t stuff people give us :mad:

b.gud wrote: »
    A feicin Brown Thomas voucher! Are you feicin serious we're paying for a feicin wedding and you think to yourself, "do you know what they would really love, a voucher! Now where should I get it for somewhere that they can really use, I know Brown Thomas they'll get tonnes of use out of that."

I'm going to be getting seriously p*ssed off over the next few weeks at the s**t stuff people give us :mad:
    Sure there's a BT in Galway! :D

To be fair they have a brilliant homeware section...fancy coffee machine or kitchen gizmo?

Course you could give herself the voucher and send her off to their rather exquisite lingerie department...just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭b.gud

Course you could give herself the voucher and send her off to their rather exquisite lingerie department...just saying.

I'd find the cash much sexier :p

I'd find the cash much sexier :p

A man after my own heart!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Oooh. 2 medals for NZ at the Winter Olympics. From 16 year olds...in the snowboard and half-pipe...cos we're such a hip country.

Not watching at all myself, but all hail Norway: population the size of the ROI, but they are hoovering up the medals.

I see Ireland sent 4 skiers and a snowboarder...are there any ski slopes in Ireland?? Sounds like the Celtic version of Cool Runnings.

So Trumps proposal to tightening gun laws is "more guns".

Let's arm the teachers. Why not? While they're at it why not just arm everyone? And people say he is a dumb president.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

swiwi_ wrote: »
    I see Ireland sent 4 skiers and a snowboarder...are there any ski slopes in Ireland?? Sounds like the Celtic version of Cool Runnings.

I think there might be some pathetic indoor dry slope somewhere. But basically no. I presume they are either not Irish or moved abroad to train/live at a young age.
    So Trumps proposal to tightening gun laws is "more guns".

Let's arm the teachers. Why not? While they're at it why not just arm everyone? And people say he is a dumb president.

To be fair, he is far from the first to suggest that. So while he remains dumb, he has plenty of company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,326 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I think there might be some pathetic indoor dry slope somewhere. But basically no. I presume they are either not Irish or moved abroad to train/live at a young age.
    There's an artificial slope in Kilternan. It's where I learned to ski. And I'm sure many others as well. It first opened in the 1970s and has 180m and 130m slopes.

racing5.jpg?itok=NgKSaS2D

Podge_irl wrote: »
    To be fair, he is far from the first to suggest that. So while he remains dumb, he has plenty of company.
    There are times when I think he's trolling everyone. Or he could just be completely dumb.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement