Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosslyn Park Sevens - An Irish Version

Options
  • 11-01-2018 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭

The Rosslyn Park Sevens draw was made today. For those that dont know what it is. It is the worlds largest sevens tournament and is played on Wimbledon Common, London where there are 24 pitches in 4 areas with the finals on the last day played at Rosslyn Park RFCs grounds (http://www.rpns7.co.uk/p/pitch-map-travel-info) and there is 7000 or so players involved in the tournament in about 6 tournaments split between under 14, 16 and 18 boys as well as girls competitions.

Sevens rugby is not played that much here. Would creating a tournament be a good idea. Obviously you wouldnt have as big a competition but what would people think of an irish equivalent. And if it was to be played where would you play it? What venues would be able to host 12-14 pitches and be up to hosting?

You could get clubs/schools all involved. Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Somewhere like UCD or UL might be the only spot with the pitches and facilities required. I think 7s would be great here. In particular in the schools game I think it would be great to encourage a transition year sevens league, consisting of a few tournaments in the spring. Non traditional rugby schools could get a chance a shine more as they wouldn't need as many top class rugby players to go far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

errlloyd wrote: »
    Somewhere like UCD or UL might be the only spot with the pitches and facilities required. I think 7s would be great here. In particular in the schools game I think it would be great to encourage a transition year sevens league, consisting of a few tournaments in the spring. Non traditional rugby schools could get a chance a shine more as they wouldn't need as many top class rugby players to go far.
    Yeah thats what i was thinking. The universities or even between UCC, CIT.
    7s would be great. I dont think in particular in schools as you could easily say in the youths game. Transition year competition would be great but could also say same about first year competition as schools always looking to keep first years busy and is young age where gap is nonexistent/small between the rugby schools and some clubs.
    Like Munster have held some 7s competitions before with the Pres/Christians/Rockwell etc all finishing behind schools like Nenagh CBS, Waterpark College.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Yeah thats what i was thinking. The universities or even between UCC, CIT.
    7s would be great. I dont think in particular in schools as you could easily say in the youths game. Transition year competition would be great but could also say same about first year competition as schools always looking to keep first years busy and is young age where gap is nonexistent/small between the rugby schools and some clubs.
    Like Munster have held some 7s competitions before with the Pres/Christians/Rockwell etc all finishing behind schools like Nenagh CBS, Waterpark College.

Thought i might bump this considering rosslyn park schedule has been released.
    There is 268 teams scheduled to compete at under 18 level and also 140+ teams at under 13/14/16 levels.
    There is also 48 girls teams competing in 2 different competitions
    http://www.national7s.co.uk/competitionintro.asp?TID=E9CBFACC-80BB-4CFF-BDCF-D895D5E5C8B1

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭El Vino

Son is hopefully playing this year, been training hard for a few months, great competition

• Advertisement

Posted this last year but this years starts tomorrow.
    Should there be an Irish version?
    Have u13/14/16/19 competitions with several categories at each age group and get as many schools as possible competing?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭RuPi

I believe there is some sort of Schools 7's tournament at Terenure next Wednesday.

RuPi wrote: »
    I believe there is some sort of Schools 7's tournament at Terenure next Wednesday.
    there is but only very small scale and few even know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Would be interesting to see this done at a clubs level, an expansion of the existing 7s festival with underage teams involved. AIL, U20s, U18, U16, U14 etc, but ran by the IRFU.

The existing 7s festival is fairly pricey for tickets, I know they get live music etc involved but 20 quid is the cheapest, and considering it's a bit of an unknown it's not really attractive to the average bystander.

Would be interesting to see this done at a clubs level, an expansion of the existing 7s festival with underage teams involved. AIL, U20s, U18, U16, U14 etc, but ran by the IRFU.

The existing 7s festival is fairly pricey for tickets, I know they get live music etc involved but 20 quid is the cheapest, and considering it's a bit of an unknown it's not really attractive to the average bystander.
    Yeah doing it with clubs and then you could use it as ties to clubs for those who otherwise dont ever play club rugby in their teens because theyre in the non exempt rugby schools would be fantastic
    But schools can be better to help get new kids playing the sport.

• Advertisement
Advertisement