Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2030 ban on diesel/petrol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The 2040 Doc is rather weak on details e.g. it says "At least 500,000 electric vehicles on the road by 2030 with additional charging infrastructure to cater for planned growth"

Which is rather laughable given the CRU decision as per http://www.oreilly.ie/future-of-electric-vehicle-public-charging-infrastructure/

Yeah they talk the talk but can they walk the walk ? it's easy to come up with a plan as a publicity stunt, knowing full well you won't be in power or possibly even politics by then.

The Irish Government has failed decade after decade to improve infrastructure to proper standards, and look at the housing crises and rent situation.

They still build box homes in Ireland that are too small to swing a cat and expect people to raise families in them and charge a fortune for them, won't build nice apartments , won't go high rise etc. The Government are a complete and utter joke always were and always will be.

Just look at the M7 upgrade going on atm, they're adding a 3rd lane to a road that has been unable to provide suitable form of transport for over a decade and all they can do is add a 2rd lane ? look at the N7, and even if it does sort out the current traffic crisis which is what it actually is it's won't be long before it's severely congested again.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭MANSFIELD

Prezatch wrote: »
    "On transport, there will be ban on the purchase of all petrol and diesel vehicles by 2030, a decade ahead of the UK, while there is also a target of having at least 500,000 electric vehicles - a third of the State’s private transport fleet - on the road by the same date"

Typical Ireland -''at least a decade ahead of the UK'' - we have to be at the top of the ladder , for rules , regulations and bull$hit .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Vronsky

MANSFIELD wrote: »
    Typical Ireland -''at least a decade ahead of the UK'' - we have to be at the top of the ladder , for rules , regulations and bull$hit .

There's more to it than that. In 27 years all diesel and petrol cars will fail the NCT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Vronsky wrote: »
    There's more to it than that. In 27 years all diesel and petrol cars will fail the NCT.

Where do you see that?

I just see that they can't be sold after 2030 (which I think is unlikely enough) but I don't see the ones we already have can't be used anymore?

• Advertisement

I think people will see this for what it is, a publicity stunt and nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Vronsky

wexie wrote: »
    Where do you see that?

I just see that they can't be sold after 2030 (which I think is unlikely enough) but I don't see the ones we already have can't be used anymore?

All hybrids as well. All non-zero emission vehicles will fail the NCT by that date. The section is quoted in the other thread

So, investing in a petrol station would not be a good idea imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

every single ad on that article is by the ESB, it's obviously a publicity stunt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

every single ad on that article is by the ESB, it's obviously a publicity stunt

I don't have a single ESB ad. It depends on your browser/computer advertising settings. Mine shows the very best umbrellas from New York, Fota Island, Business recruitment and night driving glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

samih wrote: »
    I don't have a single ESB ad. It depends on your browser/computer advertising settings. Mine shows the very best umbrellas from New York, Fota Island, Business recruitment and night driving glasses.

true, but usually when you've a full background ad like this it's paid handsomely for and tied very specifically to certain articles...

Browser is Safari on macOS High Sierra (FTR).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Vronsky wrote:
    All hybrids as well. All non-zero emission vehicles will fail the NCT by that date. The section is quoted in the other thread

Link? I assumed it would be for new vehicles only?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

By 2030 all Cows will have to have a dpf fitted to their lungs and a Catalytic converter in their arsés.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Reading the indo article, 2045 is the date for no ncts for non zero emissions vehicles. My camper will be a classic by then so no nct!

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Reading the indo article, 2045 is the date for no ncts for non zero emissions vehicles. My camper will be a classic by then so no nct!

.....Well, not unless the rules change. For the moment it's all pre 1981 vehicles that are NCT exempt. Unless that date changes your camper will still need a DOE

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

wexie wrote: »
    it's all pre 1981 vehicles that are NCT exempt.

At the moment it's pre 1980 vehicles (as in not registered after 31/12/1979) that don't need an NCT and this will be relaxed on a sliding scale with the new rules for cars first registered in the 80s. See the classic car forum for posts on the details.

unkel wrote: »
    At the moment it's pre 1980 vehicles (as in not registered after 31/12/1979) that don't need an NCT and this will be relaxed on a sliding scale with the new rules for cars first registered in the 80s. See the classic car forum for posts on the details.

thats great news, I'll mosy on over

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭techman1

The ban on diesel and petrol cars in 2030 is a great sound bite and easy for politicians to announce but it will not be happening. Its all very well to talk all this stuff , but actually achieving is a whole different story. This stuff is incredibly difficult, just today the EPA announced that our CO2 only reduced by 3.6% in 2020 despite the lockdowns and the almost complete shutdown of the country costing 30billion euros. We are supposed to be reducing it by 7% a year but we can't even achieve that when the country was completely shutdown for months in 2020.

Its starting to dawn on the politicians throughout Europe that the 50% reduction in Carbon by 2030 is unachievable and is just not going to happen. Already with the rise in fuel prices this year they are experiencing push back from voters, there will be a revolt if they think they can continue with this and they know it. BMW have said that they will continue to produce diesel and petrol cars after 2030 so obviously they see that the transition to electric cars is going to be alot slower than what the politicians are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Without the government ban here, market forces would still most likely make the sale of new petrol and diesel vehicles negligible in comparison to EV's in 2030.

20% of all Volkswagen's sold in Ireland so far this year have been fully electric. Other manufacturers have also dramatically increased their EV sales while slashing their lineups of many standard ICE cars. Petrol and diesel vehicles are done, whether you realise it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,837 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Also most automakers have stopped development of any petrol or diesel engines. The ones they're putting in cars now are the last generation

They've basically realised they can't meet the emissions targets with ICE engines under the hood

BMW are holding to their PHEV strategy but they're also rapidly increasing the number of BEVs in their lineup

The government has already pulled any grants for anything with an engine. As soon as EVs hit the majority of sales they'll stay putting the 2030 ban into law

Also, as many have pointed out, the ban is only on sales of new cars, used cars will still be around for at least a decade

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭sh81722

If I was a legacy car manufacturer I would also definitely tell everybody that it's business as usual and try to sell as many ICE as possible to keep the cash coming in and the production lines busy. "Order your 221 now but hurry as we may run out of 221 if you don't order TODAY!"

• Advertisement
Advertisement