Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 1x15 - "Will You Take My Hand" [** SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭Evade

Prime Lorca for new captain?
    In the mirror universe and most likely dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Evade wrote: »
    In the mirror universe and most likely dead.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Goodshape wrote: »
    Pics or it didn't happen.
    Even if he's not dead traipsing to and from the mirror universe should be difficult to pull off, both in and out of universe, since they have to keep covering it up for the next decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Goodshape wrote: »
    From the Wikipedia page on the development of the show, it seems:

June 2016: Fuller announced the there will be 13 episodes in season one, although he'd prefer 10.

October 2016: Fuller steps down as show-runner.

January 2017: Actual production beings.

May 2017: It's announced that the show has expanded to 15 episodes.

October 2017: Filming wraps on Season One.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Discovery#Development

And from what I can see, it was announced that there would be a Season Two in October as well.

Interesting that it went from 13 to 15, and that happened after Fuller stepped down. Would be curious how many of the scripts were at least outlined before he went, as Eps 14 and 15 did feel quite different to what went before. Though, to be fair, he did leave 3 months before filming even started.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

With Ash going off with the Klingons, is it mad idea that he settles in really well and eventually wants to look like them again for some reason, but they cant fully reform him so gets butchered again to look more like the klingons from TOS or TNG ? dunno know how tho.

Decent season but bit of a **** finale imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,724 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well that episode was disappointing. I also agree that it seemed rushed as well and I found parts of it boring. Actually I found it boring until 26 mins in when it got ok then boring again. So after all of Discovery,s hard work and effort to go get a way of finding cloaked Klingon ships they never used it after. That was a wasted opportunity. Surely the episode could have been maybe 10 minutes longer and they could have shown them using it if just to have one battle or maybe even to capture a Klingon admiral or General for some reason. The ending do was worth it. The Enterprise looks great. Why could we not have had that in the last 3 films?
    Its all done now anyway and hopefully next season will be about exploring new races and worlds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

With Ash going off with the Klingons, is it mad idea that he settles in really well and eventually wants to look like them again for some reason, but they cant fully reform him so gets butchered again to look more like the klingons from TOS or TNG ? dunno know how tho.

Decent season but bit of a **** finale imo

hundreds of thousands of Klingons are still deformed from the Augment virus. He could be placed in charge of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

With Ash going off with the Klingons, is it mad idea that he settles in really well and eventually wants to look like them again for some reason, but they cant fully reform him so gets butchered again to look more like the klingons from TOS or TNG ?
    I was also a bit pissed off about that. Whatever about the "Oh I have to go so I can be someone" shtick, Ash is in possession of a stupid amount of tactical information about Discovery and Starfleet.

By leaving with L'Rell, Voq's plan has basically worked - infiltrate discovery and learn about it. Now he's returning that info to the Klingons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

seamus wrote: »
    By leaving with L'Rell, Voq's plan has basically worked - infiltrate discovery and learn about it. Now he's returning that info to the Klingons.

Is he though?

Discovery's tactical advantage is the spore drive. It doesn't have any non-standard weaponry and is probably behind in the curve in terms of star fleet developments made during the 9 months they missed.

What does Ash know about the spore drive? Probably the same as L'Rell who has been on the ship for a while; the ship can jump and it uses spores. The klingons probably figured that out from the wreckage of the other spore ship.

It isn't like they let Stamets go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

ezra_ wrote: »
    Is he though?

Discovery's tactical advantage is the spore drive. It doesn't have any non-standard weaponry and is probably behind in the curve in terms of star fleet developments made during the 9 months they missed.

What does Ash know about the spore drive? Probably the same as L'Rell who has been on the ship for a while; the ship can jump and it uses spores. The klingons probably figured that out from the wreckage of the other spore ship.

It isn't like they let Stamets go

Instant pinpoint transportation to any part of the galaxy (As far as they know)? Sounds like a HUGE advantage to me. They may have info tranSPORtation from the other ship but that wasn't successful. Now they would know the missing link to make it successful.
    TBH, they (The showrunners, not the Klingons :) ) are not going to investigate that path I'd say. It's a red herring anyway as it is not used by TNG timeline. Had it been a secret you could imagine that it was still in use by Section 51 (Or whatever they were called). But it seems everyone knows about it so something must happen by the last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I watched this episode again and I enjoyed it a lot more on the second viewing. I thought Burnham's conversations with Amanda and Sarek were quite moving and provided a genuine emotional resolution to some of her issues.
    I didn't even think her speech was too bad (although the section where it cut back and forth from the medals being pinned on to her spouting slogans was a teensy bit OTT)
    Other highlights - Emperor V Killy "these are hideous of course" :D that whole scene was hilarious.
    Tilly is not my favourite character but all her scenes in this episode were very enjoyable.
    Michelle Yeoh was also excellent throughout and lets hope she and Jason Isaacs are in Season 2 as much as possible. They really add something to the show.
    Also - extra bonus points for the Emperor's decision making process: she is on an away mission, the fate of a universe hangs in the balance and priority number one is: organise a threesome. :eek::D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I reckon season 2 will be about Saru earning the chair.

I hope not. For me I thought he was the weakest character. He did not bring anything captain worthy to the table for me.

From the timeline aspect, are we talking about 10 years prior to Kirk with the arrival of the Enterprise and Captain Pike?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sparko

I hope not. For me I thought he was the weakest character. He did not bring anything captain worthy to the table for me.

From the timeline aspect, are we talking about 10 years prior to Kirk with the arrival of the Enterprise and Captain Pike?

The first episode of Discovery is set in 2256, so I presume since then and with the time jump after returning from the mirror universe that the final episode of the season is 2257, maybe even 2258. Kirk's Enterprise begins in 2265 I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Sparko wrote: »
    The first episode of Discovery is set in 2256, so I presume since then and with the time jump after returning from the mirror universe that the final episode of the season is 2257, maybe even 2258. Kirk's Enterprise begins in 2265 I believe.

What year was The Cage set in?

The Cage was set in 2254.

I wonder how Enterprise-centric will season 2 be? Also will we be seeing the young Lieutenant Kirk?
    I hope they wont get too tied up in fanboy nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Inviere

I wonder how Enterprise-centric will season 2 be? Also will we be seeing the young Lieutenant Kirk?

Lieutenant Kirk? Pfft, everybody knows he went directly from Cadet to Captain :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Wasn't he on a different ship, Yorktown, during his time as Lieutenant?

With Pike they pretty much have a clean slate.

As for the rest of the season, we thought season 1 was about Klingons with a single episode in the MU...

• Advertisement

I hope there is at least some sort of an idea of what to do with the Enterprise as opposed to Star Trek's usual "this cool thing happens right at the end of the last episode and we'll come up with a solution over the break."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

They've stated more traditional Star Trek events for season 2, so they seem to have some outline in mind. Hopefully that translates to the screen a bit more evenly than season 1.

Spear wrote: »
    Wasn't (Kirk) on a different ship, Yorktown, during his time as Lieutenant?

Yes. I am not suggesting that he is on the Enterprise that we see at the end of Season 1. But Spock almost certainly is. And if they are going to introduce Spock and the Enterprise, can Kirk be all that far behind?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Spear wrote: »
    Wasn't he on a different ship, Yorktown, during his time as Lieutenant?

With Pike they pretty much have a clean slate.

As for the rest of the season, we thought season 1 was about Klingons with a single episode in the MU...

Kirk should be serving as Lt. on USS Farragut at this point (2257). Vampire cloud incident and all that fun.
    Yes. I am not suggesting that he is on the Enterprise that we see at the end of Season 1. But Spock almost certainly is. And if they are going to introduce Spock and the Enterprise, can Kirk be all that far behind?

Spock should still be posted to Enterprise in 2257- unless he's on shore leave, or in another universe, or converted into an inorganic cube or... anyway he served under Pike for his full run with the ship IIRC. That being the reason for his extreme loyalty in The Cage.

But the show runners seemed pretty definite they don't want to bring Spock into the show at all. How they'll play that with the Enterprise appearing is impossible to know, but the last episode was written by the Akiva Goldsman before he ruled that possibility out. So that doesn't sound promising.

https://www.polygon.com/tv/2017/10/18/16500810/star-trek-discovery-continuity-original-series

I wonder if they intend to have a different captain for each season?

I wonder if they intend to have a different captain for each season?

Could lead to shades of Spinal Tap drummers there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Kirk should be serving as Lt. on USS Farragut at this point (2257). Vampire cloud incident and all that fun.

Spock should still be posted to Enterprise in 2257- unless he's on shore leave, or in another universe, or converted into an inorganic cube or... anyway he served under Pike for his full run with the ship IIRC. That being the reason for his extreme loyalty in The Cage.

But the show runners seemed pretty definite they don't want to bring Spock into the show at all. How they'll play that with the Enterprise appearing is impossible to know, but the last episode was written by the Akiva Goldsman before he ruled that possibility out. So that doesn't sound promising.

https://www.polygon.com/tv/2017/10/18/16500810/star-trek-discovery-continuity-original-series

I think the Enterprise appearance was just fan service myself, and will not make it into S02E01

It may be referenced but that'll be about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I would have thought the Enterprise would have been taken out by the Kilngons...unless they were busy off discovering space somewhere else.

I thought all ships would have been brought home for defence.

GreeBo wrote: »
    I would have thought the Enterprise would have been taken out by the Kilngons...unless they were busy off discovering space somewhere else.

I thought all ships would have been brought home for defence.
    The Constitution class is much newer than a lot of the other ships we've seen so I'd imagine they're more likely to survive in combat with the Klingons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Evade wrote: »
    The Constitution class is much newer than a lot of the other ships we've seen so I'd imagine they're more likely to survive in combat with the Klingons.

Maybe, but after almost a year is be expecting a few dings

Advertisement