Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay Parents to Stay Home with Baby for 12 Months?

Options
  • 15-02-2018 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

Article here.

Just wondering what people think. Unsurprisingly the majority think this should be the case. I, also unsurprisingly, as someone who has no interest in kids, thinks it mad that anyone feels they're entitled to full financial support for a year for a lifestyle choice they've made. You already get a chunk of money every week for the child once it's born like.

Should parents be financially supported for first 12 months? 172 votes

Yes, full financial support
    0% 0 votes
    Eh, no, fund your kids yourself
    45% 79 votes
    Partial financial support/other
    54% 93 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Its a bit simplistic to call raising children a lifestyle choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

amcalester wrote: »
    Its a bit simplistic to call raising children a lifestyle choice.

It is a choice isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Silane

When you retire you will also get a chunk of money every week, just for being old, that money will come from other people's "lifestyle choices". That being said I think the current system is generous enough, and I have 1 year old.

It is a choice isnt it?

It's a choice for the individual but on a population level it's a necessity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

the parents spending time with their kids will be of huge benefit to the family and society

shoving them into childcare at 6 months definitely isn't the answer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Silane wrote: »
    When you retire you will also get a chunk of money every week, just for being old, that money will come from other people's "lifestyle choices". That being said I think the current system is generous enough, and I have 1 year old.

It comes from your PRSI contributions that you've made throughout your working life. Provided you actually worked of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

It is a choice isnt it?

Its a 24/7/365 job.

Constant fear wrapped up in sleep deprivation mixed with all your valuables slowly getting destroyed over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Its a 24/7/365 job.

Constant fear wrapped up in sleep deprivation mixed with all your valuables slowly getting destroyed over time.

After youve made a conscious decision and effort to conceive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Im sure theres a point in here somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,387 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Kingp35 wrote: »
    It comes from your PRSI contributions that you've made throughout your working life. Provided you actually worked of course.

In reality that isn't the case though.

It is the taxes being paid by the working population that pays the pensions - without people having kids you don't have those taxes and the economy collapses.

An economy needs people to have families. Where that is the case, having families should be encouraged, incentivised and supported.

That said, I wouldn't agree with fully paid year - that is too much.

(And you could also get into a population control discussion too)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The most important part in my opinion is getting rid of maternity leave in favour of parental leave - as things are many mothers, fathers and their children suffer needlessly from our dated-as-f*** system.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Silane

PRSI doesn't cut it, the only way the systems stays solvent is if the population grows. There's currently 5 workers for every pensioner, at the current rate of growth there will be 2 workers per pensioner by 2050.

It doesn't really, your contributions aren't ring fenced for your future withdrawal.

Paying your contributions entitles you to receive a payment at a future date, but it'll be funded by the people paying in at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Not every pregnancy is planned, and while it may change by the end of the year, currently it is illegal to abort an unplanned abortion in Ireland. Even if the 8th is repealed there is a good chance that 'unplanned' pregnancies will still be illegal to abort.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭siblers

It is a choice isnt it?

Not if the baby was an accident

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'd agree with the proposal to an extent. Give a couple 12 months between the two of them to use the leave as they see fit. Two weeks paternal leave is nowhere near enough for a father and it's a big wrench to have to go back to work that early.

It doesn't matter if it is a choice or not.

Family life should be supported by public policy. The degree to which it should be supported is up for debate, but the support itself should not be.

We need people to have children. Cause we need those kids to grow up, join the work force, pay taxes, run the businesses and, yes, Government, in the future. We need people to become doctors and teachers, nurses and gardai etc.

The country NEEDS people to have kids in order to continue to function. So, why shouldn't the Government also support and help in that?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The country NEEDS people to have kids in order to continue to function. So, why shouldn't the Government also support and help in that?

How much (in monetary terms) do suggest the government give to support parents and where do you suggest this money comes from?

Our social benefits bill is already astronomical as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭georgina toadbum

_Roz_ wrote: »

Just wondering what people think. Unsurprisingly the majority think this should be the case. I, also unsurprisingly, as someone who has no interest in kids, thinks it mad that anyone feels they're entitled to full financial support for a year for a lifestyle choice they've made. You already get a chunk of money every week for the child once it's born like.

Contraception isn't 100%. They may not have made the choice willingly. Also, abortion is still illegal in this country so they have no other option but to keep it.

*Before people start to think I'm pro-life, I'm not. I'm just pointing out the facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Less support aimed at everyone and more support aimed at families in which both parents work.

I think we all know that free education in this country is far from free. Third level fees (Student Contribution Charge) are around €3000 per year now.

How much (in monetary terms) do suggest the government give to support parents and where do you suggest this money comes from?

Our social benefits bill is already astronomical as it is.

Honestly, I don't know. I'm

I'm not arguing this specific proposal is correct, just arguing against an implication in some arguments that the 'choice' to have kids shouldn't be supported.

IMO, the support and encouragement of families should be of the highest priority for any Government

• Registered Users Posts: 17,818 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

_Roz_ wrote: »
    Article here.

Continuing the species is not a lifestyle choice, also if you think the benefit is anywhere near enough to meet even one of the single costs of taking care of a child you are incredibly ignorant and naive

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

VinLieger wrote: »
    Continuing the species is not a lifestyle choice, also if you think the benefit is anywhere near enough to meet even one of the single costs of taking care of a child you are incredibly ignorant and naive

When the world is overpopulated, or when you're pumping out three, four or five kids, it absolutely is a lifestyle choice. It only becomes not a lifestyle choice when the population needs to be plumped up. The opposite is when a particular country gets SO overpopulated you're limited to only having one child, or two.

And I don't think that benefit is enough to take care of a child, but I think it's a good chunk towards something you should mostly be paying for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Billy86 wrote: »
    The most important part in my opinion is getting rid of maternity leave in favour of parental leave - as things are many mothers, fathers and their children suffer needlessly from our dated-as-f*** system.

My understanding of the whole thing is that the parental leave currently available will become paid. It's the system that is being worked towards after paternity leave was introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Because the OP doesn't have an interest in children hence anything to do with children will not make sense in those terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

Reati wrote: »
    Because the OP doesn't have an interest in children hence anything to do with children will not make sense in those terms.

Actually it would make perfect sense if the country was underpopulated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If the scheme only applies to those already in work (i.e. the government would cover the parents salaries for the 12 months - (effectively the state increasing maternity benefit to cover the employer "top up" costs), I might be in favour of it if it was done in conjunction with an overhaul of said maternity system that made parental leave usable by either parent.

Just paying people to have children is a fairly bad idea though: you'd have certain sections of society popping out another child who they'll utterly fail to raise properly just to top up their dole.

Advertisement