Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Modern Television Pundits/Commentators

• 14-02-2018 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

Just setting this up to discuss the general views about the modern set of pundits covering PRo14 and 6Nations matches lately, and podcasts and articles particularly from recently retired players.

Personally I'm not a fan of Luke Fitzgerald (as a pundit) since he has retired, my impression (rightly or wrongly) is he is still bitter about retiring early and not achieving his perceived (by him) potential, and he's hung up on praising anything Leinster, and critiquing anyone that plays in his old positions.
    My favourite retired commentator is Marcus Horan on TG4, he has a genuine warmth about him when interviewing the players. No jealousy, no negativity.
    I similarly always liked Keith Wood on the BBC too; he seemed to hit the nail on the head with his comments.
    I find BOD and ROG to be very interesting also as they obviously have a wealth of experience to draw from, and it's great to hear their take on matches.
    Particularly how the players and coaches will be preparing and little insider details about the habits and personalities as well as the systems used to prepare and perform, and how they measure success in every aspect of performance.
    Horgan and Jennings have been pretty good, and Matt Williams is very astute also, I've found the TV3 panels quite good overall lately.
    I'm coming around to liking Eddie O'SUllivan lately too, I think he's found the right balance lately in his analysis between constructive criticism and picking out examples of positive play.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Neil Francis

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Bill McClarens voice was the game of rugby to me. Growing up watching rugby in the 80's was all about his ability to bring a dour encounter to life.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I like Reggie Corrigan's interviewing skills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

I think for proper, unbiased and impartial commentary by someone who truly knows his onions ... You can't look any further than Frankie Sheehan.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

mfceiling wrote: »
    Bill McClarens voice was the game of rugby to me. Growing up watching rugby in the 80's was all about his ability to bring a dour encounter to life.

Rugby's Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,008 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

CatFromHue wrote: »

image.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

CatFromHue wrote: »

I dunno, I like him but I feel like he's not bringing everything to the role, like he's not fully committed or something...

Zzippy wrote: »
    I dunno, I like him but I feel like he's not bringing everything to the role, like he's not fully committed or something...
    I was wondering would anyone actually get the reference. :D

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I was wondering would anyone actually get the reference. :D

Yeah, it was as subtle as an Irish rugby huddle cancellation.

Yeah, it was as subtle as an Irish rugby huddle cancellation.
    I think your sense of humour got lost in the post. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Neil Francis

... should be marched into the sea.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    image.jpg

Sky Sports Pundit: "Andrew Conway, how does it feel to win Man of the Match in Munsters Champions Cup win...?"

Andrew Conway: "Yeah.. I .."
    Peter O'Mahony: "ARE YOU QUESTIONING MY TEAM MATES??????"

Sanjuro wrote: »
    ... should be marched into the sea.

And then a little further...just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I love how he calls this piece of magic. One of the few times ever that he showed bias for a try. As good as the try itself :)

Bonus points if you can identify his trainee ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Just setting this up to discuss the general views about the modern set of pundits covering PRo14 and 6Nations matches lately, and podcasts and articles particularly from recently retired players.

Personally I'm not a fan of Luke Fitzgerald (as a pundit) since he has retired, my impression (rightly or wrongly) is he is still bitter about retiring early and not achieving his perceived (by him) potential, and he's hung up on praising anything Leinster, and critiquing anyone that plays in his old positions.
    My favourite retired commentator is Marcus Horan on TG4, he has a genuine warmth about him when interviewing the players. No jealousy, no negativity.
    I similarly always liked Keith Wood on the BBC too; he seemed to hit the nail on the head with his comments.
    I find BOD and ROG to be very interesting also as they obviously have a wealth of experience to draw from, and it's great to hear their take on matches.
    Particularly how the players and coaches will be preparing and little insider details about the habits and personalities as well as the systems used to prepare and perform, and how they measure success in every aspect of performance.
    Horgan and Jennings have been pretty good, and Matt Williams is very astute also, I've found the TV3 panels quite good overall lately.
    I'm coming around to liking Eddie O'SUllivan lately too, I think he's found the right balance lately in his analysis between constructive criticism and picking out examples of positive play.

I really enjoy the Left Wing podcasts with Luke Fitzgerald. They're usually pretty insightful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I love how he calls this piece of magic. One of the few times ever that he showed bias for a try. As good as the try itself :)

A young Eddie Butler?

A young Eddie Butler?

Fine kick through by an 8 (Emyr Lewis).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,354 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Neil Francis

I used to Listen to him on The Last Word, Jesus Christ.. He is so pessimistic and miserable and dreary and monotone. He has good knowledge but his whole persona is just so glum

It took me a while to warm to BOD, think he tried a bit too hard initially to try to stand out by being a bit too critical or else too protective of his former team mates but find him a lot more balanced now.

Also think Shane Horgan is quite good so far for TV3. Pretty intelligent guy

*Inserts gumshield, puts on helmet*. I miss Hook.

siblers wrote: »
    I used to Listen to him on The Last Word, Jesus Christ.. He is so pessimistic and miserable and dreary and monotone. He has good knowledge but his whole persona is just so glum

This is what is great about him. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

*Inserts gumshield, puts on helmet*. I miss Hook.

*calls for head injury assessment*

ectoraige wrote: »
    *calls for head injury assessment*

Nah looks like a knee injury.

• Administrators Posts: 53,347 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Anyone else think players in these "vintage" videos always look really old compared to players today?

awec wrote: »
    Anyone else think players in these "vintage" videos always look really old compared to players today?
    Just the grainy picture I suspect. Ieuan Evans was 29 in that game I think.

awec wrote: »

The manly handshakes... No jumping on players and kissing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I think for proper, unbiased and impartial commentary by someone who truly knows his onions ... You can't look any further than Frankie Sheehan.

:pac:

Post of the decade! We can close the thread now.:pac::pac:

Post of the decade! We can close the thread now.:pac::pac:
    Speaking of hookers doing commentary, there used to be a joke doing the rounds about a Japanese soldier who's discovered on a remote pacific island long after the war has ended. The Japanese soldier is obviously out of touch with what's happened in the world in the intervening time, so he asks the usual questions of his rescuers (I've shortened it somewhat):

JS: Did we win the war?
    R: No, the allies won. Japan surrendered.
    JS: Who is the US President?
    R: Bill Clinton (it's an old joke ;))
    JS: Is Shane Byrne still playing for Leinster?

Shane Byrne seems to be now taking up the role of the Japanese soldier. "When was that law changed?" :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Mark Robson is an acquired taste. I still haven't managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Mark Robson is an acquired taste. I still haven't managed.

In the same way that cat **** is an acquired taste?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

I really don't like this recent fad of having 3 people in the commentary box.

Advertisement