Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wonka

• 20-01-2021 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭

Warner Bros. is returning to a world of pure imagination, forging ahead with plans for a “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” prequel, newly titled “Wonka.”

The studio hopes to begin casting the film soon, with the goal of releasing it theatrically on March 17, 2023.
    Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Warner Bros. is in talks with Paul King, director of the two “Paddington” movies, to helm a reboot of “Willy Wonka,” based on Roald Dahl’s classic children’s book “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.”

The project is being produced by David Heyman, producer of the “Paddington” and Harry Potter movies. Simon Rich wrote the new script.

“Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,” published in 1964, centers on 11-year-old Charlie Bucket and the legendary and eccentric chocolatier, Willy Wonka, who has decided to re-open his factory and allows five children to come on a tour of the factory after finding a golden ticket in a Wonka Bar.

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/willy-wonka-reboot-paddington-director-1202696320/

Colour me excited. I'm not a fan of either of the previous two Wonka films, but I love the Paddington films.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

How can you not like the original Willy Wonka movie? Whats wrong with you?!? :eek:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm not a fan of either of the previous two Wonka films

Monster.

Well, half a monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I just don't like them! The shift into that American style bugs me to no end, I feel the same about Matilda too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'd prefer he do Paddington 3.

I'd prefer he did a different Dahl story, never a massive fan of Charlie and we already have two adaptations. Don't understand what they could differently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

More evidence that Hollywood is slowly devouring itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

More evidence that Hollywood is slowly devouring itself.

Ye, seems to be.

The original although I found it creepy, told the story very well. I don't think it needs to be done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I dont think it needs a reboot at all but nostalgia sells so if it is done, even if its terrible, they'll make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Who'll play Willy?

branie2 wrote: »
    Who'll play Willy?

Ryan Gosling of course :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,905 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

is Hollywood even aware there's a f**ing sequal!!

3 movies on the first book and no mention of the 2nd!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

2nd book wasn't great, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

God ive hated both willie wonka films. Always found the character creepy and made me uncomfortable. The johnny depp one even more so than the original one

• Registered Users Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Twits the lot of them in hollywoo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Who'll play Willy?

Paddington, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Roald Dahl hated the first version so much that he wouldn't allow a sequel to be made

Roald Dahl hated the first version so much that he wouldn't allow a sequel to be made

A lot of book writers hate the movies made of their books, King hated the shining, Burgess hated a clockwork orange, Ellis American psycho and Groom hated forest gump.. All great movies though... I'm sure theres a lot more to and id say its very common for a book writer to hate the movie of his/her book. Most of them would have to have complete creative control or direct it themselves to truly like them...

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Twits the lot of them in hollywoo

They're talking about Wonka, not the Twits ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

They're talking about Wonka, not the Twits ;)

With the way they're just throwing everything into the mix and hoping it works, it's more like George's Marvellous Medicine.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    With the way they're just throwing everything into the mix and hoping it works, it's more like George's Marvellous Medicine.

Well that's just Peachy

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

nix wrote: »
    Ryan Gosling of course :p

No! It's obvious it needs to be a black kid, a street smart, wisecracking rapper who is a petty thief with a heart of gold.
    Willy Wonka could be played by Mark Hamil in the style of The Last Jedi.
    The other kids on the factory tour could be undercover agents for Slugworth, all of them experts in different fighting techniques, inspired by the characters from Kill Bill, with various high action fight scenes where Charlie defeats them one by one.
    Damn, this sh*t writes itself! I'll see if I can get Harvey Weinstein on the blower, this will make millions!

Ah the Remake of the Reboot of the original. People have been complaining about Rebooting everything, but now its taking it to another new level of pain. How to coin a remake of a reboot? Gleequel? 3Boot? Requel?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Screams need content content content content for our streaming service.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

I was rolling my eyes at first until I read Paul King and David Heyman are involved. After Paddington and especially Paddington 2 they deserve some credit. It will be interesting to see what they will come up with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Obviously the shelves marked "public domain" had been raided one too many times; some executive then rummaging through the slush pile of licensed IPs knocking about.
    bigar wrote: »
    I was rolling my eyes at first until I read Paul King and David Heyman are involved. After Paddington and especially Paddington 2 they deserve some credit. It will be interesting to see what they will come up with.

Like you, that's the only thing making me give this project the benefit of the doubt for now. King has clear talent, but you'd hope that a bigger Hollywood project won't crowd out his style; wouldn't be the first time if it did either.

And I still maintain Paddington 2 is one of the best films of the last 5 years. A legitimately fabulous movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So is it a prequel to the book or the Burton film?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

The Burton film is close enough to the book, isn't it? I thought the 1971 film was way more off-book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I wonder would they be tempted to do a 'Joker' type origins story for Willie Wonka and ramp up the horror side of things? Some very creepy elements worth exploring especially in the original movie version. The oompah lumpahs (orange-skinned versions) always freaked me out.

Bill Skarsgard for Willie (based on the first 'It' movie, certainly not the second)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭p to the e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Homelander wrote: »
    The Burton film is close enough to the book, isn't it? I thought the 1971 film was way more off-book.

but its got more charm,

Advertisement