Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crossing livestock on a regional road

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

larthehar wrote: »
    There are two situations that may arise; moving cattle along a road to another field or crossing
    the road. The risks depend on the experience of the stockman and any helper, the experience of
    the cattle in knowing the route, the road layout, the amount and speed of traffic and the time
    of day.
    There is always a legal duty to warn motorists of the impending risk of cattle on the road. This can
    be done by signs, with or without hazard beacons or by persons standing well back with a flag to
    wave the motorists down. If the road is a busy high-speed highway then all cattle movements
    must be well planned and controlled with sufficient people available to help. In this instance
    warning signs must be placed about 150m back from the crossing or entry/exit point.

Where did you get tha, it's only common sense I know, but some need it written down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Floki

There are two situations that may arise; moving cattle along a road to another field or crossing
    the road. The risks depend on the experience of the stockman and any helper, the experience of
    the cattle in knowing the route, the road layout, the amount and speed of traffic and the time
    of day.
    There is always a legal duty to warn motorists of the impending risk of cattle on the road. This can
    be done by signs, with or without hazard beacons or by persons standing well back with a flag to
    wave the motorists down. If the road is a busy high-speed highway then all cattle movements
    must be well planned and controlled with sufficient people available to help. In this instance
    warning signs must be placed about 150m back from the crossing or entry/exit point.
    Don't forget those council signs with that cow on it means that it is a council registered right of crossing.
    Those little signs you get in the farm shop. Not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭mattthetrasher

We already have a lot of signage including the council sign i do like lakills idea of thanking and timing and i am wondering how long do you have your underpass in rangler

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

We already have a lot of signage including the council sign i do like lakills idea of thanking and timing and i am wondering how long do you have your underpass in rangler

Theres a big dufference between underpass on reguonal road and the m6. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭larthehar

rangler1 wrote: »
    Where did you get tha, it's only common sense I know, but some need it written down

The link i posted on the previous page.. it is from the H&S authority's website.. page 26.. has all the detail.. nobody seems to have read it hence i posted the relevant extract.

• Advertisement

The link i posted on the previous page.. it is from the H&S authority's website.. page 26.. has all the detail.. nobody seems to have read it hence i posted the relevant extract.

Proper warning 150mtrs back is the point I'm trying to highlight, not just a sign that doesn't apply to most of the year.
    It should be possible to switch warning lights on remotely,

Proper warning 150mtrs back is the point I'm trying to highlight, not just a sign that doesn't apply to most of the year.
    It should be possible to switch warning lights on remotely,

Any signs on roads are to be maintained by the council. If the council says no to lights. Then it's no lights.

I can't get how people are talking about gates without approval. Only looking for trouble.

You might be supposed to own to the middle of the road but you don't really.

You have to go through the proper channels before you stick anything up on a roadside ditch.

Spoke to my insurance company this morning they are ok with the gates closing the road as long as they can see that adequate warning and signage they are happy

Spoke to my insurance company this morning they are ok with the gates closing the road as long as they can see that adequate warning and signage they are happy

That's my point..adequate warning

Spinning my posts to underpasses is only trolling

Floki wrote: »
    Any signs on roads are to be maintained by the council. If the council says no to lights. Then it's no lights.

I can't get how people are talking about gates without approval. Only looking for trouble.

You have to go through the proper channels before you stick anything up on a roadside ditch.

Well tell them their signs are a worse than useless typical jobsworth Public Service job

• Advertisement

That's my point..adequate warning

Spinning my posts to underpasses is only trolling

You mentioned in a previous post that ye used to be moving animals on the road back in the 70s but moved on so i just presumed if you were not crossing animals on the road you had an underpass, its a fair assumption to makei think.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Could you stick up a couple of strips of plastic tape like they have over esb wires underground.good visibility and if a car does go through it wont damage car.tbh for ten days spring and autumn i think ye are making a mountain of the whole issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

I know of a case where from March to October a farmer is crossing the road sometimes in 3 different places twice in a day
    They hold them as Lakill suggests and are crossing with a good straight stretch of visibility,letting them all out together
    If there's a large pile of cars they sometimes stop and let them on

On one of the minor roads they close one side across by swinging the gates out
    All very busy roads
    No signage at all and no one bats an eyelid at this
    2 people in charge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

everyone forgets that anyone in control of a motor vehicle has to drive to suit road conditions

So that means being able to stop the vehicle in a safe manner

Worth reading up about the traffic management for road works. for roadworks there are certain distances you need to set up warning signs and you must have a Start and End sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Floki wrote: »

Another one l came on lately.... nobody owns any land at all. It is all owned by the state.

Even with freehold, you only own the right to occupy the land.

Muckit wrote: »
    Another one l came on lately.... nobody owns any land at all. It is all owned by the state.

What about all those secret tunnels I dug?
    Who owns them?

You learn that when your land is CPO'd, there's thousands of tonns of my rock under the M6, .........apparently you only own the right to the top six inches

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

You learn that when your land is CPO'd, there's thousands of tonns of my rock under the M6, .........apparently you only own the right to the top six inches

Bet you got paid nicely for the first 6 inches though

Closes door now that arguement has been ignited lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Sight lines are a big deal too, know of quiet lanes where the cow crossing point is on blind bend... Saw a couple of near misses,
    And no point having warning signs and lights 150 meters back on a small quiet road.. Depends on the road type, if your going to use a gate / tape or something make it brightly coloured and preferably have flashing led lights on it, even cheap bike lights are better than nothing (but a central switch to make it as little hassle as possible'd be better)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

Had my car written off recently by a farmer moving sheep across a major road. They had no signs to alert motorists, no flagmen and no warning lights as some on this Thread have suggested. They moved around 30 sheep across a very busy and fast part of the N25. Farmer himself was infront and the daughter and wife were bringing up the rear. There was a straggler that they missed and this one ran out of a lane into my path. I didn't have a chance of avoiding the animal. Car suffered substantial damage - will be a Cat B write off.

Farmer admitted liability in front of the Gardaí. He offered to bring the car to a mate and get it fixed. I was reluctent to do this because of the extent of the damage. I felt it was a write off and I was right.

This could get messy now as he is not cooperating with me in giving me insurance details. Beginning to think that maybe he doesn't have insurance.

Does he have a defence here?

Reading the thread, it appears that the farmer must take appropriate precautions to protect the public. This does not seem to have happened here.

• Advertisement

Whatever about the car, l hope you are ok. You are still probably in shock. Hipefully no major injuries. It's a very unfortunate thing to have happened. Had you anyone else in the car with you? Were there orher witnesses?

Playing devil's advocate, If he had somebody back and front, then he COULD be seen to have taken reasonable precautions to control his animals , even if one broke away. Animals can do that. Was he crossing the road with them or was he moving them along the road? Were you signalled to by the farmers as you approached? Did u obey their signal?

The other thing is that sheep are small (small mass). How in God's name did you manage to write off your car by hitting one? You had to have been travelling at speed. You too are supposed to be in control of your motor vehicle and be able to stop when required.

There would be no obligation on him to have had signage on the road.

Rereading your post. If he was crossing sheep across the road and had nobody on the road, then he would be in the wrong IMO.

Whatever about the car, l hope you are ok. You are still probably in shock. Hipefully no major injuries. It's a very unfortunate thing to have happened. Had you anyone else in the car with you? Were there orher witnesses?
    No injuries, thankfully. Was on my way to work. No witnesses stopped. The farmer saw it happening. As did I, obviously.
    Playing devil's advocate, If he had somebody back and front, then he COULD be seen to have taken reasonable precautions to control his animals , even if one broke away. Animals can do that. Was he crossing the road with them or was he moving them along the road? Were you signalled to by the farmers as you approached?
    No signal. He was in the enterance across the road, where he had brought the herd. As I said, the animal appeared out of nowhere.
    Did u obey their signal?
    There was no signal. Thats the thing. Nothing to alert drivers to any type of danger ahead.
    The other thing is that sheep are small (small mass). How in God's name did you manage to write off your car by hitting one?
    Car moving at 80kmph. That is 22.22 m/s and the car weighhs probably 1600kgs. That is a lot of momentum and energy. It met a small but bulky mass and the car did its job. They are meant to fold, and it did.
    You had to have been travelling at speed. You too are supposed to be in control of your motor vehicle and be able to stop when required.
    I had only traveled around 600m on the main road ( I live just off the main road) when I encountered the sheep. I was accelerating obviously as I was getting up the top speed, which on this stretch of road is 100kmph. I was going at a handy tack, not a boy racer.

Rereading your post. If he was crossing sheep across the road and had nobody on the road, then he would be in the wrong IMO.
    No. He had no one on the road flagging down drivers to alert them to any risk ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭TwoOldBoots

Sounds like the farmer is not insured. I doubt any insurance company would cover the farmer to move cattle on foot on a public road nowdays.
    Either way it sounds like he's at fault and not playing ball so best just push on to your Solicitor and sue him

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

cabledude wrote: »
    Had my car written off recently by a farmer moving sheep............

This could get messy now as he is not cooperating with me.........

You need to be very careful here discussing a case that may be sub judice.
    If there is a case you don't want to prejudice the outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

Its very dangerous moving stock on any road now, I wouldn't see anybody moving them down here the last person was a farmer who thought because he was the fourth generation farming he felt the locality should wait until his cows went in for milking no body hunting them until one evening there was an accident on the main road fire brigades came trouble getting through they threw the book at him and one of them was he had no sinage to warn people .

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭TwoOldBoots

I would not dream of moving cattle by foot on the road now. You're not Insured to do so, and if some thing goes wrong then its the whole farm thats on the line. A simple case of whiplash is now costing 40k outside of Solicitors fees. God forbid if there was a bigger accident then I`d say you can say good-luck to the farm

You're not Insured to do so

That is factually incorrect. Check your policy with your insurance provider.

• Advertisement

PeterCasey wrote: »
    Its very dangerous moving stock on any road now, I wouldn't see anybody moving them down here the last person was a farmer who thought because he was the fourth generation farming he felt the locality should wait until his cows went in for milking no body hunting them until one evening there was an accident on the main road fire brigades came trouble getting through they threw the book at him and one of them was he had no sinage to warn people .

Pure gossip chat

Advertisement