Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capital Gains Tax - Am I liable

Options
  • 10-02-2018 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I inherited a house about 3 years ago and only had it transfered into my name in the middle of last year. The house was valued at 150K at time of death. I moved into the house about 2.5 years ago and I am thinking of selling. The value of the house has increased substantially (over 100%). Does anyone know if I would have to pay CGT on the profit if I sell?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lockedout2

If you have a loss you can’t pay CGT.

The date of death is irrelevant, it’s the value on the date probate was granted which counts so what was that value?

If you have lived in the house since then PPR will exempt any gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭new2sat

Thanks for the reply. What is PPR?
    Probate was granted 8 months ago and the value is the same since then (Over 300K). The value of the house on death (150K) was used though for probate/inheritance tax purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

new2sat wrote:
    Thanks for the reply. What is PPR? Probate was granted 8 months ago and the value is the same since then (Over 300K). The value of the house on death (150K) was used though for probate/inheritance tax purposes.

Principle private residence I.E your home.

Advertisement