Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin Coach Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

On an old 04 neoplan to the Airport now. How the thing is going is a miracle. Still a few of these piles going on this route. Didnt someone mention here before that they had more than 5 new coaches on offer ? Ive also heard rumours of them getting or applying for the 126 route but I doubt this tbh.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

JeffK88 wrote: »
    On an old 04 neoplan to the Airport now. How the thing is going is a miracle. Still a few of these piles going on this route. Didnt someone mention here before that they had more than 5 new coaches on offer ?

Their coach fleet was something like this as of late last year, but of course this information may be out of date now.

18x 2004 Setra 415HD
    09x 2004 Neoplan Decker
    03x 2005 Setra 415HD
    03x 2008 Setra 415HD
    06x 2009 Van Hool Astromega TD927
    01x 2010 Setra 416GTHD
    04x 2010 Setra 416GTHD (On loan pending new vehicles)
    04x 2012 Setra 416GTHD
    01x 2014 King Long
    10x 2014 Mercedes Tourismo
    05x 2016 Mercedes Tourismo (Tour and Belfast work only)
    05x 2017 Mercedes Tourismo (Belfast route only)

The on loan vehicles were said to be due to return to Mercedes when the 5 new 2018 Tourismos were delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

devnull wrote: »
    Their coach fleet was something like this as of late last year, but of course this information may be out of date now.

18x 2004 Setra 415HD
    09x 2004 Neoplan Decker
    03x 2005 Setra 415HD
    03x 2008 Setra 415HD
    06x 2009 Van Hool Astromega TD927
    01x 2010 Setra 416GTHD
    04x 2010 Setra 416GTHD (On loan pending new vehicles)
    04x 2012 Setra 416GTHD
    01x 2014 King Long
    10x 2014 Mercedes Tourismo
    05x 2016 Mercedes Tourismo (Tour and Belfast work only)
    05x 2017 Mercedes Tourismo (Belfast route only)

The on loan vehicles were said to be due to return to Mercedes when the 5 new 2018 Tourismos were delivered.

Is the above the vehicles listed on RTOL?

Not much difference since late last year - I just had a look and only differences I can see are

Removed
    1x 2004 Neoplan decker

Added
    1x 2003 Mercedes Citaro
    1x 2009 Van Hool Decker
    5x 2018 Mercedes Tourismo

That still leaves them with 30 vehicles that are 13 or more years old for their coach fleet and an average age of coming up to 8.5 years and that age is including the 2016 coaches that never do service work and are for tours only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

What route you be on as all I see is clapped out scrap.

I think ALL bus companies have their best coaches serving Dublin but have ancient often dirty ones serving non-Dublin places. Very much a 2 tier system.

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    It's the opposite surely? BE have the nice new buses, Dublin Coach the scrap.

Depends on the route. Bus Eireann to and from Dublin to wherever are nice, clean and modern coaches. I was on Bus Eireann going from Cork to Youghal one time and the bus was old, smelly and dirty. The same one time going on a Bus Eireann from Cork to Limerick and Limerick to Cahir. Very old, run down, dirty coaches. The Dublin Coach from Cork to Kilkenny was much newer and cleaner than the Bus Eireann on the first part of this route (which would be a continuation of the Cork to Youghal one going all the way to Rosslare).

All Dublin Coach services serve to/from Dublin and approx 30 of them that are currently licensed for use date back from 2004/2005 and are very worn out which is why they were discarded by their former operator.

They have some newer coaches but outside the Belfast route they are only a small percentage of the fleet.

All Dublin Coach services serve to/from Dublin and approx 30 of them that are currently licensed for use date back from 2004/2005 and are very worn out which is why they were discarded by their former operator.

They have some newer coaches but outside the Belfast route they are only a small percentage of the fleet.

That is true. Certainly, Dublin Coach have the worst coaches serving Dublin routes. Moving outside of these routes, it is obvious that much of the Bus Eireann coaches are in as bad or worse condition, are very old, are dirtier and break down too. I also feel Dublin Coach clean up and redecorate old coaches to disguise their age whereas old Bus Eireann ones (which Bus Eireann never use on Dublin routes but use on others especially their late evening services) are not disguised. It is all a two fingers to the customer though.

The Dublin Coach Cork to Kilkenny is actually the Dublin to Cork route that goes via these places. The route tends to be operated almost fully with 2004/2005 Setra vehicles but occasionally sees something newer such as a 2008 Setra or the single 2014 King Long, but that tends to be the exception rather than the norm.

The ex Aircoach 2004 vehicles in particular have several million km on their clock - Dublin Coach lightly refurbished some of them but not all - but they're still the same coach that Aircoach worked 24 hours a day 7 days a week, 364 days a year tothe same timetable with no real off-peak for a decade at the end of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Matthew Gleeson

Spotted the new Merc on the 715 airport route this weekend. Must have been a sub in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Matthew Gleeson

The Dublin Coach Cork to Kilkenny is actually the Dublin to Cork route that goes via these places. The route tends to be operated almost fully with 2004/2005 Setra vehicles but occasionally sees something newer such as a 2008 Setra or the single 2014 King Long, but that tends to be the exception rather than the norm.

The ex Aircoach 2004 vehicles in particular have several million km on their clock - Dublin Coach lightly refurbished some of them but not all - but they're still the same coach that Aircoach worked 24 hours a day 7 days a week, 364 days a year tothe same timetable with no real off-peak for a decade at the end of the day!

That cork bus goes via Kilkenny AND Waterford if I'm not mistaken. Quite the detour! Good route for fans of podcasts and those lucky enough to be able to read on buses

Yet another DC Human Resources manager has jumped ship,happened before Christmas.

2nd in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭belfast stephen

traveled on the M1 Belfast serivce on 1 of the New 181 Reg Mercedes-Benz Tourismos not much different from the 171 Reg but the 181 Reg do have USB points at each seat and also they White DMD instead of a orange 1

traveled on the M1 Belfast serivce on 1 of the New 181 Reg Mercedes-Benz Tourismos not much different from the 171 Reg but the 181 Reg do have USB points at each seat and also they White DMD instead of a orange 1

Clearly replacing coaches that are less than a year old on the Belfast route for the ongoing bus war between them and Aircoach is far more deserving than doing something for long suffering customers who have to put up with an unreliable service run on many 14 year old tired vehicles on other routes with no real serious investment for years.

I guess the more established routes they have a captive market though and know that there is not really comprehensive competition on them so they won't have much passenger bleed despite their lack of investment.

This is a perfect example of why full de-regulation like the UK would be terrible for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

This is a perfect example of why full de-regulation like the UK would be terrible for Ireland.

A good service for some is better than a good service for none!

JCX BXC wrote: »
    A good service for some is better than a good service for none!

Generally full de-regulation has shown in the UK and other countries that it eventually leads to a good service for almost nobody because one company can use any tactic they like to push the others out and when they do the initiatives and the low prices soon start to rise

Clearly replacing coaches that are less than a year old on the Belfast route for the ongoing bus war between them and Aircoach is far more deserving than doing something for long suffering customers who have to put up with an unreliable service run on many 14 year old tired vehicles on other routes with no real serious investment for years.

Dublin Coach are serving Cork for 2 years next month, since the very outset of that service all they have run bar the odd occasion is the Ex Aircoach Setra's, this is not a way to entice customers to come and use a service.

Especially when you have far newer Bus Eireann coaches operating the route 40 to Waterford and to get to Dublin could use JJ Kavanagh.

It would take more than a cheap fare to entice me to use that service.

Reliability is the number 1 sticking point here.

I've seen far more DC breakdowns in the last 6 months than i have of BE in the last 12.

Generally full de-regulation has shown in the UK and other countries that it eventually leads to a good service for almost nobody because one company can use any tactic they like to push the others out and when they do the initiatives and the low prices soon start to rise
    The fact that Go Ahead got the tender for the services in Dublin and Bus Eireann won the tender to keep their own services in Waterford is only the start of things to come.

The trend here has begun, it is currently 10% but in 5-10 years it could be 20% or even more.

Bus Eireann is slowly in decline, Aircoach and Dublin Coach,if they every cop the hell on, will be big winners here.

The PSO routes are the tricky bit though.

I don't have a detailed list of the PSO routes nationwide.

Reliability is the number 1 sticking point here. I've seen far more DC breakdowns in the last 6 months than i have of BE in the last 12.

That would be the same for me - I see so many people complaining about coaches running up to an hour late or being stranded by the roadside without a service that I could never take them unless there was no other option and it was an emergency or I hadn't booked ahead and was getting on at a terminus and they were just more handy.
    The fact that Go Ahead got the tender for the services in Dublin and Bus Eireann won the tender to keep their own services in Waterford is only the start of things to come/

I think Go-Ahead won the tender because of all the UK bus groups, apart from perhaps Stagecoach, they are the best financially placed to make long term investments in things like depots - the UK bus groups are having a tough time at the moment and I think many of them bulk at having to make upfront costs that they won't see the return on for several years in the current environment.
    Bus Eireann is slowly in decline, Aircoach and Dublin Coach,if they every cop the hell on, will be big winners here.

The Aircoach MD has just been appointed to a C level role in Bus Eireann, so you know, be interesting to see how that pans out, since he's been in Aircoach for 12 years.

First pulled out of the Greater Dublin Area contract that Go-Ahead won because of the requirement to build their own depot, as did other UK companies, for the reasons I listed above. First have a depot, yes, but it's nowhere near big enough to take an expanded fleet - bearing in mind that it's just an industrial unit that can't even take the whole fleet - not that it's a problem when they operate 24 hours a day so they only have to have their full fleet parked up one day a year anyway.
    I don't have a detailed list of the PSO routes nationwide.

Essentially everything that isn't Expressway, Eurolines, or Airlink is PSO.

I guess the more established routes they have a captive market though and know that there is not really comprehensive competition on them so they won't have much passenger bleed despite their lack of investment.

I understand the 171 Reg coaches are staying on the belfast route but nothing would surprise me with DC if they do put the put 181 Reg on the belfast

• Advertisement

I understand the 171 Reg coaches are staying on the belfast route but nothing would surprise me with DC if they do put the put 181 Reg on the belfast

Well so far I've only seen them on the Belfast route, so I guess time will tell - but the first signs are not encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

On journal.ie that traffic is disrupted on University of Limerick Campus due to a fire on a " private bus"

I wonder what operator????

eejoynt wrote: »
    On journal.ie that traffic is disrupted on University of Limerick Campus due to a fire on a " private bus"

I wonder what operator????

An awful sense of deja vu in this thread.

Only approaching €8k really after the costs are taken into account, so not really much.

For those who can't see the link:
    A bus company whose business that serves Laois, Kildare Dublin and Dublin airport has been fined €6,000 for breaches of tachograph and driving regulations.

At Naas District Court on February 5, Citi Bus Ltd, (t/a Dublin Coach with an address at Moorehill House, Brannockstown), was fined €1,000 each for six breaches of the regulations following a case taken by the Road Safety Authority.

The breaches occurred on September 25 and December 12 2016, between August 1and October 2016, and March 9, 2017. The company was ordered to pay €1,757 of the cost of the prosecution in addition to the fines. It pleaded guilty to the six breaches.

A pensioner in a Dublin Coach made a gesture of goodwill, I’m unsure of my view on this, I’ve never known a stranger on a bus to give me their details to return money.

Dublin Coach just happened to be the provider.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/pensioner-horrified-after-teens-refuse-14223845

Only approaching €8k really after the costs are taken into account, so not really much.

For those who can't see the link:

It’s a minor fine for a company of its size.

The new equipment for monitoring drivers interests me as it’s in real time.

Has to be GPS surely.

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] Dublin Coach Mercedes-Benz Tourismo 171 Reg http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-43020243[/font]

[font=Helmet, Freesans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]A privately-owned coach has caught fire on the M1 on the way into Belfast.[/font]
    [font=Helmet, Freesans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]It happened at junction two, Stockman's Lane, on Saturday evening, according to the Department for Infrastructure's Trafficwatch NI service.[/font]
    [font=Helmet, Freesans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Firefighters have been called to the scene.[/font]
    [font=Helmet, Freesans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]One citybound lane of the M1 has been closed and there are reports of significant traffic disruption in the area.[/font]
    [font=Helmet, Freesans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]A BBC eyewitness said the fire was at the rear of the vehicle.[/font]
    [font=Helmet, Freesans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]About 20 people were seen standing outside the bus, on the hard shoulder of the motorway.[/font]

The most concerning thing about this is not just the fire, but it's on a vehicle that is less than one year old....

• Advertisement

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] Dublin Coach Mercedes-Benz Tourismo 171 Reg http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-43020243[/font]

[font=Helmet, Freesans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]A privately-owned coach has caught fire on the M1 on the way into Belfast.[/font]
    [font=Helmet, Freesans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]It happened at junction two, Stockman's Lane, on Saturday evening, according to the Department for Infrastructure's Trafficwatch NI service.[/font]
    [font=Helmet, Freesans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Firefighters have been called to the scene.[/font]
    [font=Helmet, Freesans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]One citybound lane of the M1 has been closed and there are reports of significant traffic disruption in the area.[/font]
    [font=Helmet, Freesans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]A BBC eyewitness said the fire was at the rear of the vehicle.[/font]
    [font=Helmet, Freesans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]About 20 people were seen standing outside the bus, on the hard shoulder of the motorway.[/font]

How that company is still trading is beyond me.

With such a new coach it must be neglect with daily checks/servicing?

I’d be surprised if it’s anything else.

Advertisement