Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Words your parents cant pronounce

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

There was a old drunk that lived around our area years ago.

His famous mispronunciation has gone down in local folklore.

There was a guy reading a book about world war II in the local pub.

He asked why did world war eleven start?

I grew up near a place called Bellharbour. Local legend has it that when the BBC reporter, with received pronunciation, announced that the Japanese had attacked Pearl Harbour, a group of lads grabbed their shotguns and pitchforks and headed down to the harbour to meet them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,208 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

He loves the Jason Bourne movies but for some reason he pronounces Bourne as Burn.

Maybe he's just mixing him up with this fella. Easily done.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Last time my mother tried to pronounce a word she struggled with I got a face full of false teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,208 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

jonon9 wrote: »
    Last time my mother tried to pronounce a word she struggled with I got a face full of false teeth.

I have a similar story

Last time your mother tried to pronounce a word she struggled with she almost bit me lad.

After that I just told her to take the false teeth out first.

Jackpot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

My mam could never pronounce 'Navratilova' as in Martina. To this day it's 'Le Brat in Ova'!

An aunt says 'in the window' for innuendo..

• Advertisement

And as stated from the other side!

I drive my teenage kids mad when I cat I'm going to get some "Mutt Munch" when I go to get a bag of dog food!

<<<<<<<<<<<<< yes I know :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 VickyPollard

My mum can't say EZ(ee-zee) Living properly, as in the furniture shop, it's always E- ZED Living.
    Also Pinterest, she pronounces pin-interest!
    😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Oh my Dad keeps asking "Alexy" questions and, obviously, getting no response.

He also refers to the U2 front man as "Bone-o" but it's more that he doesn't GAF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I am but at my advanced age perhaps my hearing needs checking. Anyway that's how I would pronounce it. :D

Does your son/daughter post on boards? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Magnolium instead of magnolia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

My ma constantly says dinosauws when talking to the kids. There’s a f*cking r in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

My mother once asked me “why do they call him ‘the white’ yorke, when he’s black?” Still get a laugh out of that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Bigtoe107 wrote: »
    My mother once asked me “why do they call him ‘the white’ yorke, when he’s black?” Still get a laugh out of that one

Reminds me of when my daughter was quite young and called a certain US president Black Obama

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Should get my kids to post this but then I've inflicted my pronunciations on them too. H as in aitch - H Block, HB ice cream etc; Gaul Tea for Galtee Cheese/Mountains etc and Dorset Street as in Daw set rather than the ubiquitous Door sett. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭forgodssake

My mother calls micellar water "miraculous water " lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭forgodssake

And diarrhoea is pronounced "diareee"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

davo2001 wrote: »
    My dad has always called Bono "Bone-o".

He refuses to call him Bono for some reason, I think it's a North Dublin thing.

This is nuts Davo,my dad does the very same,but he's from limerick

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    I know a woman well into her 50's calling it budder, she never called it that before, I'd say she got it from her daughters americanisms :rolleyes:

I seriously doubt it’s an Americanism. I’ve said budder my entire life.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Cripps instead of crisps,hate that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

My mum can't say EZ(ee-zee) Living properly, as in the furniture shop, it's always E- ZED Living.
    Also Pinterest, she pronounces pin-interest!
    😂

To be fair the standard pronounciation of Z is zed here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Junglewoman

Troath rather than Throat

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'm sorry to have to inform you but your mother is obviously a spasticated dinosaur.
    She doesn't sound like a thesaurus does she ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    A presenter on our local radio calls the three amigos the three omegas.
    Probably the long term effects of a super fish oil injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

MIL has a few of the usual suspects, Chi-cargo for Chicago, Sang-gich for sandwich and the worst one is Lincoln-shtein for Liechtenstein

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

A 93 year old Aunt calls the satnav a 'satnap'. Probably quite appropriate given the number of people who switch off their brains when they use one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Cripps instead of crisps,hate that

Package of cripps :D

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

mweenoote for minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭gipi

My dear ma mispronounces the name of our taoiseach constantly - she calls him 'Vardakar', instead of Varadkar. She's even in his constituency! Bless😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

davo2001 wrote: »
    My dad has always called Bono "Bone-o".

He refuses to call him Bono for some reason, I think it's a North Dublin thing.

I find that us northsiders prefer calling him silly bollocks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Maybe he's just mixing him up with this fella. Easily done.........

No he hates that cocksucker.

Advertisement