Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone else starting to become a bit worried? mod note in first post

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

This guy is usually on top of his game about stuff like this
    Looks very positive when displayed like that.

Of course it can't continue like that forever, so the question is whether this year will be the exception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

Dades wrote: »
    Looks very positive when displayed like that.

Of course it can't continue like that forever, so the question is whether this year will be the exception.

True, very true.

No one knows so people should proceed with caution

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Has anyone actually watched banking on Bitcoin?

It pretty much explains the reason it's here.

What is needed for it and all alt coins to flourish is acceptance by governments and regulation.

No fear that it will all of sudden crash or it's a scheme.

Agreed by everyone is at this point in time its a volatile minefield BUT it's still in it's early stage and it's potentional is extrodinary and once it is adopted ( and I say that with the utmost belief it will be) everyone will see the power these currencys and the blockchain technology harness.

Yes there are scams there but so is online gambling or shady car dealers, people just need to to their own research before parting with their money

Don't forget the old religion. Greatest power over people scam ever created. And the POS are tax free too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Thanks for that. I’ll send it on to Warren Buffer and Paul Krugamn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Thanks for that. I’ll send it on to Warren Buffer and Paul Krugamn.

Jaysus you’re hilarious and repetitive. If you are so against something and your crusade to save people here from themselves isn’t working, maybe you need to find a new crusade.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Interesting read for the uneducated

Best caption to add below a link you post if you want to make sure no-one reads it ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Jaysus you’re hilarious and repetitive. If you are so against something and your crusade to save people here from themselves isn’t working, maybe you need to find a new crusade.

I just think there’s a lot of people of average or below average intelligence putting real money into buying coins that are magiced out of thin air by guys who are of above average intelligence. These smart fellas then convert it back out in real money (maybe buying lambos) and all the thickos and average joes are left with something worth nothing.

Get rich quick schemes are always the same. You ain’t going to be turning your 500 quid into a million lads. :P

I just think there’s a lot of people of average or below average intelligence putting real money into buying coins that are magiced out of thin air by guys who are of above average intelligence. These smart fellas then convert it back out in real money (maybe buying lambos) and all the thickos and average joes are left with something worth nothing.

Get rich quick schemes are always the same. You ain’t going to be turning your 500 quid into a million lads. :P

Great well just leave us all of lower intelligence than yourself to it and mind your own business then

:rolleyes:

Sure people who buy cars must be even more stupid. They buy an asset that is guaranteed to depreciate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Fixed the username :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

:rolleyes:

Sure people who buy cars must be even more stupid. They buy an asset that is guaranteed to depreciate.
    A car has a use, though...

Anthracite wrote: »

A quick google will show you lists of companies that accept various crypto currencies. Companies accepting the currencies shows that they have a use.

Not to a blind person who can't drive it

Not to a blind person who can't drive it
    But it has use to the next person they sell it to, so it has economic value.

But it has use to the next person they sell it to, so it has economic value.

So purchasing goods and services with crypto has the opposite effect. The goods or services don’t have economic value?

Also the cars value will end up at zero after a few years which means it has no value.

So purchasing goods and services with crypto has the opposite effect. The goods or services don’t have economic value?
    :confused:

Not sure where you are going with this. The value of crypto could go to zero as it has no real use case that isn't already met by other means. Perhaps it will have in the future?

I suppose a car might equally be worthless if it became useless (we invent teleportation) or can't be used (we run out of fuel). Neither is likely though in the next couple of years.

:confused:

Not sure where you are going with this. The value of crypto could go to zero as it has no real use case that isn't already met by other means. Perhaps it will have in the future?

I suppose a car might equally be worthless if it became useless (we invent teleportation) or can't be used (we run out of fuel). Neither is likely though in the next couple of years.

A car depreciates with time and becomes worthless. Apart from a select few that will become classics. Crypto is not worthless at the moment. It is accepted as payment for goods and services.

While you are inventing the teleportation device please invent a time machine too so we can see if crypto will become as worthless or not. Also when you go into the future please find out which cars become classics so we can invest in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Also when you go into the future please find out which cars become classics so we can invest in them.

Shouldn't we get him to check which coins gain greatest ground?

grindle wrote: »
    Shouldn't we get him to check which coins gain greatest ground?

I don’t think he’d tell us because it would prove him wrong.

• Advertisement

I don’t think he’d tell us because it would prove him wrong.

If he went to the future and came back he'd be a convert and try to FUD us out of our most profitable bags. Good save.

If he went to the future and came back he'd be a convert and try to FUD us out of our most profitable bags. Good save.

I’m actually laughing to myself here about this conversation. To paraphrase:

Him: They have no use!
    Me: Companies accept them as payment for goods and services.
    Him: They are worthless.
    Me: Wot u talking bout Willis. They are accepted for goods and services. That’s putting a value on them.

Maybe that's what he's doing at the moment

Maybe that's what he's doing at the moment

giphy.gif

A car depreciates with time and becomes worthless. Apart from a select few that will become classics.
    Just buy a classic to begin with and it'll appreciate from day one. :)

Dades wrote: »
    Just buy a classic to begin with and it'll appreciate from day one. :)

Just like crypto you don't know what will be a classic, you just do you research and make your choice based on that

Just like crypto you don't know what will be a classic, you just do you research and make your choice based on that
    You'd be hard pushed to lose money investing in any recognised classic and HODLING (in a dry garage!)

They're a FAR safer bet than crypto, and a lot more fun to own.

I guess the key takeaway from this thread is that anybody 'investing' (lol) in cryptocurrency will get rich, but the main threat to them is people asking any questions or poking any holes in their beliefs, or indeed citing the history of speculative asset bubbles (we've never seen an example of one of those in Ireland). This threat is why any discussion or questions about their belief system must be immediately shouted down and the questioner abused and ridiculed - after all, we all know that people secure in their beliefs react like that to any sort of questioning.

Anyway, best of luck folks. I'm going to keep a small bit of skin in the game but I'm looking hard at the exit. Just remember the little people when ye are all stinking rich ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Has anyone come across any decent resources where this debate is captured but without the pettiness?

I'd be curious as while I have a little bit invested in crypto to hedge my bets I'm still very much on the fence when it comes to a lot of this stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Segwit2x - Dodo or dormant?

Advertisement