Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Snow & Ice Possible Thursday 8th / Friday 9th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

pad199207 wrote: »
    I think it was March 2006 or 2005 there was snow on paddys day. Distinctly remember being up the Wicklow Mountains and there was a covering of snow.

I can remember riverdance being on RTE Radio 1 in the car.

17 March 2006 was cold and mostly cloudy with some rain showers to the south coasts. 17 March 2005 was very mild (maximum was up to 17c) with some drizzle or light rain to the west. It was another mostly cloudy Paddy's Day but there was some sunshine to be had in the east.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I cant remember what year it was, but i do recall snow falling in May from a potent northerly.
    If we get a proper unstable north easterly, we won't have to worry about the strength of the sun or what the wet bulb temperature is:pac:
    So lets put this nonsense to bed about February being no good for snow, due to the stronger sun, once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Swellan

Cavan Town. Minor roads have a recent snowfall which has now frozen over and are now treacherous. Skies now clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Was there not snow in 1998 in April? Plenty times there has been snow in March/April.

I think a polar low brought snow one night during mid April that yr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I'd need some description to try and figure it out for you.

I think 17 March 2013 was a bit too mild for snow, so you can count that one out.

NOAA_1_2013031712_1.png

No it snowed here in ashbourne that morning which left a temporary covering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭piplip87

What's the outlook for the rest of the week guys. Can't make head nor tail of the models myself

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

Billcarson wrote:
    I think a polar low brought snow one night during mid April that yr.

Yup. It was my brother's 5th birthday in the middle of April 1998 and I'll never forget waiting for the school bus in the snow and him not believing his luck that it snowed on his birthday! The excitement!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Heavy grapple/hail shower just now in Sligo Town, and sticking. Although the earlier dusting, melted again quite quickly.

Was there not snow in 1998 in April? Plenty times there has been snow in March/April.

Correct it did and then it did again the next year following with widespread snowfall on April 14th 1999.

Billcarson wrote: »
    No it snowed here in ashbourne that morning which left a temporary covering.

Ok, you're correct, it just seemed the upper airs weren't that cold at all and the fact that many had received some rainfall the previous two days before hand.

Met Éireann description for 17 March 2013:
    Rain affected the Southwest, East and northeast coastal counties overnight, with snow in the East on higher ground. Rain, sleet and snow pushed south during the afternoon, becoming widespread, affecting most of Leinster, Munster and south Connacht. Later showers retreated to eastern coastal parts, leaving some clear spells in the Midlands. Winds were light to moderate, variable in direction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Nice snow falling here, sticking to cars and turning some of the paths white.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Big showers of hail, sleet, graupel and snow at times throughout the day here in Tralee .Clouds moving on fairly quickly giving fantastic crystal clear blue skies with dazzling sunshine. Was out working a lot today and loving the cold fresh air. A cold NW wind which eased off during the day.

Got up to 5.8C and currently 2.2C.

6mm of precipitation

Snowfields showing up well today .

NASSA

rs4DhyW.jpg?1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Going to be a cold one. Recent shower of graupel / rain here near Tralee.

2.1C / Dp -0.1C

PQgZvfv.png

temp_uk_siq5.png

nmm_uk1-41-18-4_qba7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I cant remember what year it was, but i do recall snow falling in May from a potent northerly.
    If we get a proper unstable north easterly, we won't have to worry about the strength of the sun or what the wet bulb temperature is:pac:
    So lets put this nonsense to bed about February being no good for snow, due to the stronger sun, once and for all.

I remember one particularly vividly sunny and windy day when we got a few snow showers back in the mid-90s sometime. Can't recall the year but it was surreal experience.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Earlier dusting has not cleared, other than where car tyres have cleared it. Tracks appear to be glistening. Could be fun in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Thats it for tonight by the looks of it, should make driving in the morning interesting to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Do we expect much snow in Donegal tomorrow morning ,I know Met Eireann said Rain coming in, but might be snow on the front edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,543 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Definitely was snow in may a good few years ago not sure of the year
    also remember a paddy’s day parade about 18/19 years ago and it was a scorcher

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭highdef

Patrick's Day festivities were postponed till summer in 2001 because of the foot and mouth disease crisis. Is it possible you're thinking of this? I know that's only 17 years ago but it's close enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

I`m old enough to remember a certain February around this date in 1963, hurricane easterly wind, snowstorm that lasted and lasted, 5 - 6ft drifts that my parents had to shovel through to get to the next neighbour. If i remember that winter lasted from mid December right through to March?
    Anyone else that old in here with better memory?!!
    Don`t write off the month of Feburary if the weather ever comes in from the east again. I remember the old folks then saying `it`s drying up for snow`, they were never wrong.

• Advertisement

loughside wrote: »
    I`m old enough to remember a certain February around this date in 1963, hurricane easterly wind, snowstorm that lasted and lasted, 5 - 6ft drifts that my parents had to shovel through to get to the next neighbour. If i remember that winter lasted from mid December right through to March?
    Anyone else that old in here with better memory?!!
    Don`t write off the month of Feburary if the weather ever comes in from the east again. I remember the old folks then saying `it`s drying up for snow`, they were never wrong.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106073923&postcount=226

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82279809

I do think the discussion is getting a bit off topic but then again, what else is there to discuss?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

Yes, could it have been 1999/2000? We walked to the parade from Glasnevin and got sunburn and snow on the same day!

It was 1999.

HC7847N.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

2003 has a warm sunny Patrick’s day too Syran?

2003 has a warm sunny Patrick’s day too Syran?

It was very sunny and rather warm yes though the breeze suppressed the temperatures somewhat in some regions, particularly in the east and south.

Fantastic chart for 17 March 2003 - as was March 2003 in general.

NOAA_1_2003031712_1.png

I really think we should be getting back on topic though 'cause this all does look a bit strange in a cold spell thread :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Just in from a walk in the snow. Only about 2cms lying but that beautiful stillness.

The sky cleared up to. Lovely evening for the stars.

South Sligo 90m asl

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very Frosty here now with widespread Ice. -1.8c

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Temp dropping nicely now as wind has eased again, down to -1.4c.

My site updates details from station every 60 seconds http://www.carlowweather.com/wxindex.php if you want to see how low it can go in my frost hollow just outside Tullow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I only had a cm or so on my roof this morning...

SuNYj.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Longing

Heavy snow showers first week of May 1997.

Rrea00119970506.gif

Advertisement