Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Snow & Ice Possible Thursday 8th / Friday 9th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Sligo Town. Recent grapple shower, dusting to all surfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Heaviest snow so far in Donegal Town now 4:51pm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Best part of the snow was my cats reaction to it. Complete fascination with it. She was 2 when she last say snow in 2010.

pad199207 wrote: »
    Nearly went on my ear in Train Station Car Park in Sallins.

Ground is already freezing over

Thanks for the warning. I will be there in an hour. I don't know how that car park kept the snow this morning while others were clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Just now , letterkenny town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

About 2/3 degrees in Cork City and dropping. No ice when we woke this morning, was raining all night it looks like. Bitterly cold wind all day making it feel colder then it was (5/6 degrees) made my ears feel like they were gonna freeze!

One of the clearest evenings in a while, beautiful sunset coloured sky. Very winterish feeling!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

And another pink blob passes over without incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The usual rubbish in Galway....when its cold enough for the showers to be snow we hardly get any....and when its cold enough for only hail/sleet we get tons of showers:mad:

Hooter23 wrote: »
    The usual rubbish in Galway....when its cold enough for the showers to be snow we hardly get any....and when its only cold enough for only hail/sleet we get tons of showers:mad:

Mayo is taking all the good out of them. Very weak showers by any account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

A very poor event overall....who wants this bitter cold without some snow..
    Another over ramped event beyond all reason really.
    Anyone who grew up in the 80s like I did would scoff at this mundane spell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Whilst a pathetic enough amount and however brief, last night I had the best covering of snow in a good few years.
    This spell has a bit to run anyway - there's no major warm weather on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Hooter23 wrote: »
    The usual rubbish in Galway....when its cold enough for the showers to be snow we hardly get any....and when its cold enough for only hail/sleet we get tons of showers:mad:

I feel your pain,IV watched all the snow showers side step me most the day,sliding down the coast out to sea,or moving in towards Westport,in any event the February sun comes out in between them and it all turns to slop.Its a dissapointing cold spell when one thinks back to that glorious 18z gfs run a couple of nights back that had everyone feverish with excitement.apart from the frontal event last nite,it's a very messy picture.I had imagined a week long cold with ice days. The Atlantic spoiling things on and off for the rest of week with mild incursions,a pity given the elusive -10 isotherm was loitering about so close.If the SSW Does deliver later won't it just be too late in the winter,what with the sun's power.I just wish we could get a countrywide frontal snow event that would paste everyone and we all could move on with our lives.

Temperatures ranging 6 - 9 just doesn't do it for me.

Well, I got the snow. I got some crisp Winter sun. Recipe of perfection for me.

I feel your pain,IV watched all the snow showers side step me most the day,sliding down the coast out to sea,or moving in towards Westport,in any event the February sun comes out in between them and it all turns to slop.Its a dissapointing cold spell when one thinks back to that glorious 18z gfs run a couple of nights back that had everyone feverish with excitement.apart from the frontal event last nite,it's a very messy picture.I had imagined a week long cold with ice days. The Atlantic spoiling things on and off for the rest of week with mild incursions,a pity given the elusive -10 isotherm was loitering about so close.If the SSW Does deliver later won't it just be too late in the winter,what with the sun's power.

Temperatures ranging 6 - 9 just doesn't do it for me.

It's never too late in March, blizzards happened in 1947. Even in March 2013, Northern Ireland were snowed under.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

I’ll never forget that windchill with that easterly in March 2013. Windchill was -10c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Was surprised to see that it is snowing quite heavily when I looked out the window. Sticking easily.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Silence sais it all really (apart from a few posters ) clear skies mostly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

sryanbruen wrote:
    It's never too late in March, blizzards happened in 1947. Even in March 2013, Northern Ireland were snowed under.

I've seen snow on St Patrick's Day near Dublin Mountains, don't remember the year.

pilly wrote: »
    I've seen snow on St Patrick's Day near Dublin Mountains, don't remember the year.

I'd need some description to try and figure it out for you.

I think 17 March 2013 was a bit too mild for snow, so you can count that one out.

NOAA_1_2013031712_1.png

ims2013076_asiaeurope.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

March 1978
    Big fall of snow in the east
    Lasted a week

Edit apparently that was feb 12th
    I always associate it with March
    Definitely lasted a week though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Definitely had a paddy’s day parade canceled in Arklow in the late 70’s sometime too

Here’s the feb 12th 1978 Arklow snowfall again

https://youtu.be/vi_SFpCeOTs

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭littlema

''Tis snowing big fat flakes here in S Sligo.. 152mtr asl

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

March last year we had a white out. Lots of snow. Think it was the 23rd, so march definitely has potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

22 March 2017

440901.jpg

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 48,170 ✭✭✭✭km79

Light snow athenry

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

pilly wrote: »

I think it was March 2006 or 2005 there was snow on paddys day. Distinctly remember being up the Wicklow Mountains and there was a covering of snow.

I can remember riverdance being on RTE Radio 1 in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Was there not snow in 1998 in April? Plenty times there has been snow in March/April.

VERY light snow in Galway now, nice to look at but such a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Snowed extremely heavily for 45 mind an hour ago here in Donegal (letterkenny/ballybofey area) causing chaos on the roads. Traffic at a standstill all over the place. I just about made it home. The roads are absolutely lethal, no track even on main roads so everyone driving on compacted snow which is freezing. Roads weren’t gritted and unlikely to be at this stage. Tomorrow morning is going to be highly dangerous and I’m considering not going anywhere. Going out now to put the snow tyres/wheels back on the car.

• Advertisement

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Was surprised to see that it is snowing quite heavily when I looked out the window. Sticking easily.

Looks like there's more on the way to you.

Advertisement