Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 3 - Vetting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭blueboat

Give as much detail as you can and just be honest. Explain that your no longer in contact or not possible to obtain required information with reasoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Razor3677 wrote: »
    I was looking through the new website and seen that as part of the vetting they look at your wider extended family. I was just wondering, what happens if you're not in contact with a lot of your wider extended family? I don't know many of them and I'm not sure if they've been on the wrong side of the law. If they have, could this affect me joining and would I need to declare any issues they've had?

Ive never went through psni vetting before but i have went through "developed vetting" for past work, which is the highest level in the UK.
    Put as much detail as you can about everything, if you don't know it then you don't know it, just don't leave simple things blank to save time.
    The vetting officers don't expect you to go and ask everyone their details as that would raise some eyebrows. (You could say youre doing a family tree thing online?)
    Also don't leave anything about yourself out, no matter how long ago or how small it is. I'm sure 99% of people have had their details took as some stage for silly things like underage drinking, or at a VCP etc etc. If you are worrying about it you can do a "subject access request" from the PSNI.
    This is like a freedom of information request and the police give you everything they have about you that's on their system, and it only costs £10

https://www.psni.police.uk/globalassets/advice--information/information-about-yourself/dat11.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭KN1231999

Got a vetting question which I would love a little input on, I'm trying to finish filling out Hess forms but when it comes to my employment, my employers company policy does not allow me to put down my supervisors names, do I just declare this on the continuation page? (I'm still a full time student by the way maybe I can put my year head teacher in as a "Current supervisor? I'm not sure what to do, any help would be appreciated
    Thanks
    KN

As far as I can remember there is a box to tick that says you dont have full details? Tick it and put in company's name, address and phone number but leave supervisor name blank.
    That's what I had to do as a person who over seen my contracts left mid Jan and no one has been hired to replace them yet so I technically don't have a manager/supervisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭KN1231999

NiK9 wrote: »
    As far as I can remember there is a box to tick that says you dont have full details? Tick it and put in company's name, address and phone number but leave supervisor name blank.
    That's what I had to do as a person who over seen my contracts left mid Jan and no one has been hired to replace them yet so I technically don't have a manager/supervisor.
    Ah I will do this then, and explain on the continuation page

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Koph89

Hi all, just wondering if someone more technically literate than myself could answer a quick question...
    What exactly is the unique id or identifier for social media? Is it a url? Is it easy to find it?
    Thanks so much :)

Koph89 wrote: »
    Hi all, just wondering if someone more technically literate than myself could answer a quick question...
    What exactly is the unique id or identifier for social media? Is it a url? Is it easy to find it?
    Thanks so much :)

Depends what social media you're talking about.

Instagram ID is your username.

Facebook is the URL you get when you click on your name that takes you to your homepage.

This is what it says on google:
    "Your Facebook personal profile URL is the URL you get to when you click on your name in the upper left of the Facebook home page. It should look something like this: https://www.facebook.com/JohnDoe. https://m.facebook.com/sally.struthers."

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Koph89

Thanks NiK9 - think I was overthinking it and making it more complicated than i thought. 
    Best of luck with your recruitment journey. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Davidb1988

Just wondering if anyone in the last year or so has been accepted with lower arm tattoos? I’ve supplied photos etc with my vetting forms but still ancious on how acceptable they would be to a sleeve tattoo? I’ve noted it’s not seen with a long sleeve shirt, and I’d happily wear long sleeves 24/7 if required. Have PCA soon and would be gutted if it was vetting of tattoo to let me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Davidb1988 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone in the last year or so has been accepted with lower arm tattoos? I’ve supplied photos etc with my vetting forms but still ancious on how acceptable they would be to a sleeve tattoo? I’ve noted it’s not seen with a long sleeve shirt, and I’d happily wear long sleeves 24/7 if required. Have PCA soon and would be gutted if it was vetting of tattoo to let me down.

I've seen a few guys recently in GV with forearm tattoos. One which was heavily tattooed.

Think it's more about the content and what they deem acceptable.

• Advertisement

Homer01 wrote: »

I've seen a few guys recently in GV with forearm tattoos. One which was heavily tattooed.

Ok cheers - just hoping it all goes ok now. Would rather they have a more detailed policy from the start - detailing what can be deemed intimidating etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

Ok cheers - just hoping it all goes ok now. Would rather they have a more detailed policy from the start - detailing what can be deemed intimidating etc.

The policy on tattoos has changed recently and from my understanding it has relaxed a bit. That said, the majority of Supervisors will enforce the rule that tattoos are covered by uniform. Without knowing what your tattoos are it would be hard to comment, however I've seen a little bit of everything, from football crests to tribal patterns. So long as it's nothing macabre or gruesome then I can't see too much of an issue

majgreen wrote: »

The policy on tattoos has changed recently and from my understanding it has relaxed a bit. That said, the majority of Supervisors will enforce the rule that tattoos are covered by uniform. Without knowing what your tattoos are it would be hard to comment, however I've seen a little bit of everything, from football crests to tribal patterns. So long as it's nothing macabre or gruesome then I can't see too much of an issue

Thanks for that Maj, yea none of them are anything obscene or anything, only one I have a slight worry about is a Japanese Hannya mask.. - suppose I need to just let things run and see what happens, its out of my control now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Cand1

With regards to previous employment does anyone know what it is they vet? I've a very simple history other than a few jobs changes recently. Do they contact employers?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Cand1

With regards to previous employment does anyone know what it is they vet? I've a very simple history other than a few jobs changes recently. Do they contact employers?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Bafta12

Hi, wondering if anyone can help. Recently failed vetting, they gave me the reason as to why so I will appeal this decision. But my question is, will this be the only reason I have failed? Have I passed all other aspects of vetting? Reason for asking, I don’t want to appeal and it be successful for them to turn round and say “no well this is another reason...”. If anyone has any info, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Unperturbed Zero

Have completed my vetting forms only to realize I haven't been asked for any character references - is this to be expected or have I missed something? 1810 - most recent campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 scuba lad

Do you get notification(email) if you have passed overall vetting or just SMT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 SAPY

scuba lad wrote: »

I got mine together although it seems my vetting went fast. I would say that not hearing anything is a good thing as they will probably only email you if you fail the smt until all other vetting clears.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Imogenr1

scuba lad wrote: »

I got an email to say my vetting was through and passed before I attended my medical. My medical was less than 2 weeks after my PCA. I was told at my medical it could be 2 weeks before the results of my SMT. I got the results of my medical the day after I did it and passed. So that’s all I’m waiting on, assuming I’ll find out over email. Working my way through online learning and hoping to get a start date soon enough (wishful thinking I know)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 MUFC1

So could you get knocked back from vetting if a partner family member has a bad record, with past employment I have got clearence to work within a prison setting,.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 thehills4

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Narwahls

long story short but I have a distant relative (mothers distant cousin and they’re a big family) who was involved in low level things during the troubles of which I know no details and neither do my parents or any family that I speak to as they have had no contact with him for decades, and I have never met this person. Am I correct in putting this down in the criminal associations and marking it as ‘yes’ thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20 williamhicks999

I would include everything you are aware of. It’s better that vetting exclude it themselves rather than you. I don’t imagine including it would have any influence on your application but leaving out information would. I don’t remember the specifics of the form but be as open and transparent as possible.

Thanks got in touch with vetting there, they suggested to include it. It’s always at the worst time you discover these relatives exist

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Eurox6

Is there many applicants from the south ,

The pay seems to be very poor for a police force that have to carry guns , seems crazy low for the job that is required

Not sure if this would be the right thread but relates to vetting - For those who have applied to more than one police force at the same time (PSNI being the preference by a good bit) whenever it comes to the other force vetting me and the PSNI will know about my other application whenever the other force contacts them for my details, will it negatively effect my PSNI application at all or is it not considered?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭NeeNaw21

It's the public sector they simply will not care.

Public sector doesn't really have any ability to preferentially treat anyone in this regard. Especially given how regulated recruitment is

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭crazyfire999

Anyone get any news from vetting yet?

• Advertisement

Think other than direct emails or letters from vetting the only way you’ll know if you’ve had your vetting started is to check your credit report check for searches

Advertisement