Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PERSONAL WEATHER STATIONS: Queries and Advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Changed mine on Wednesday after a years use, died again Saturday.
    something obviously not right there .. did the low battery indicator disappear as it can take a few hours(or overnight) for the indicator to clear ..

Otherwise it could be an issue with the solar panel/supercap --where its not being used during the day and hence battery being used instead .. battery should only be used at night time really ..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    something obviously not right there .. did the low battery indicator disappear as it can take a few hours(or overnight) for the indicator to clear ..

Otherwise it could be an issue with the solar panel/supercap --where its not being used during the day and hence battery being used instead .. battery should only be used at night time really ..

I had read about the low battery indication, resets at midnight, which it did do once I replaced the battery. So was gone Thursday and Friday and back Saturday

However, both times temperature and humidity readings went way off, temperature went to exactly -67.8c both times and humidity to 100%. Completely dead now and not transmitting any data.

I fear it is an issue with the solar panel/supercap, which doesn't seem easy to replace. It's outside the years warranty however consumer law should cover me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

I had read about the low battery indication, resets at midnight, which it did do once I replaced the battery. So was gone Thursday and Friday and back Saturday

However, both times temperature and humidity readings went way off, temperature went to exactly -67.8c both times and humidity to 100%. Completely dead now and not transmitting any data.

I fear it is an issue with the solar panel/supercap, which doesn't seem easy to replace. It's outside the years warranty however consumer law should cover me.
    Does sound like the solar/supercap could be at issue ..hopefully you can get it fixed .. be interesting to hear the outcome once its repaired or replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

I have same problem. If sun is shining all indications work fine. No sun.....no
    external temp etc.
    I have to change battery every 2 weeks.
    Solar charger on front does not look good. Probably cost a leg and an arm to replace.
    Anyone do a replacement and how much did it cost.?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Officially no solar panel is listed on ebay nor Davis websites. But seeing prices of other spare parts I would rather make a sort of PSU unit for remote sensor cluster and solder wires to battery terminals in it.

• Advertisement

The vantage Vue is all encompassed in one unit making it awkward to service it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

garroff wrote: »
    I have same problem. If sun is shining all indications work fine. No sun.....no
    external temp etc.
    I have to change battery every 2 weeks.
    Solar charger on front does not look good. Probably cost a leg and an arm to replace.
    Anyone do a replacement and how much did it cost.?

Exactly the same problem I had last year. Like yourself and JCX, the battery died after a few days, and eventually the ISS died altogether.

I got in contact with Ryan Wilhour from Scaled Instruments:

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/

and within a few hours he identified the problem, it was the 'SuperCap' as RKK suggested above.

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/product/davis-7370-093-pro2-super-capacitor-supercap/

Pretty cheap, but given that my Davis (Pro 2) is over 10 years old, I just went ahead and purchased a new ISS transmitter:

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/product/davis-7345-976-pcba-for-pro2-wireless-iss-or-iss-plus-us/

and temp/humidity thermometer, which were far cheaper than what I would have got them on either the Davis site or any other 3rd party sites.

I don't know about the Vantage Vue as it does look like a more complex machine, but send Ryan an email (address at bottom of his webpage) and he will advise and point you in the right direction. Very helpful guy. :)

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

I’ve a Davis vantage pro 2
    In the last year I’ve had to replace the main transmitter board at a cost of €230

I’ve had 2 rain buckets in 12 years and Ive had the battery problems mentioned

This morning the temp and humidity sensor has died
    It’s the most practical and useful part of the unit :/
    To replace that is closer to €300

I will not be doing that
    I’ll either use this as an opportunity to try the Davis clone an Oregon Scientific wmr 300
    It’s on offer in places at €338
    It looks good but poor support reviews
    Tbh Ive never had to call Davis support
    So Id be delighted to try it

Another option is this including a webcam and seems very good value but Ive never heard of it
    I’ll do some research and have also asked the weathershop people for more info

https://www.weathershop.co.uk/bloomsky-weather-stations/

I’ve been dealing with them for 15 years

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Exactly the same problem I had last year. Like yourself and JCX, the battery died after a few days, and eventually the ISS died altogether.

I got in contact with Ryan Wilhour from Scaled Instruments:

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/

and within a few hours he identified the problem, it was the 'SuperCap' as RKK suggested above.

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/product/davis-7370-093-pro2-super-capacitor-supercap/

Pretty cheap, but given that my Davis (Pro 2) is over 10 years old, I just went ahead and purchased a new ISS transmitter:

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/product/davis-7345-976-pcba-for-pro2-wireless-iss-or-iss-plus-us/

and temp/humidity thermometer, which were far cheaper than what I would have got them on either the Davis site or any other 3rd party sites.

I don't know about the Vantage Vue as it does look like a more complex machine, but send Ryan an email (address at bottom of his webpage) and he will advise and point you in the right direction. Very helpful guy. :)
    How did you get those in from the states without vat?
    They are much more expensive here
    I’m vat registered so can buy minus the UK’s 20% vat

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

This morning the temp and humidity sensor has died
    It’s the most practical and useful part of the unit :/
    To replace that is closer to €300

I've replaced that before, no where near that cost though e.g. http://www.weatherspares.co.uk/davis-vantage-pro2-iss-digital-temperature--humidity-sensor-sht31-413-p.asp or http://www.ebay.ie/itm/DAVIS-VANTAGE-PRO-2-HUMIDITY-TEMPERATURE-SENSOR-7346-SPARE-PARTS-WEATHER-STATION/282027222172?hash=item41aa21e49c:g:X3gAAOSwtJZXWB3z

• Advertisement

Villain wrote: »

Ah cool thanks
    The unit I googled included the housing etc not just the circuit
    I presume that circuit pulls out of the board like a tiny plug and in likewise

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Ah cool thanks
    The unit I googled included the housing etc not just the circuit
    I presume that circuit pulls out of the board like a tiny plug and in likewise

Yep very easy to change, I have had two fail on me!

Owning weather station
    Expensive business !

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

I have a WH1090 weather station and my anemometer has gone bust. It's totally seized.

Does anybody know how generic these parts are? Here's what my weather station looks like:
    412zsxO8oWL.jpg

It's not a Maplin product, but Maplin have a spare parts page for their own devices and have something that looks somewhat similar.
    https://www.maplin.ie/p/maplin-replacement-wind-speed-sensor-for-n96fy-n82nf

The thing is, I don't know how generic/similar these devices tend to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Welcome to the club - mine seized last month.

Maplin's anemometer looks 100% identical and current price's real bargain! Even if it's not identical inside, you would swap internals without hassle - all you'd need is PH1 screwdriver.

Edit: I'm pretty sure N96GY accessories would fit directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

If you use aliexpress I got a replacement on this store

http://s.aliexpress.com/6VJVna67
    I replaced the wind direction for 11
    Shipping is another 5 I think. Looks identical

Edit: Maplin look cheaper, but mostly out of stock, I think they were too when I checked in Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

In the post this morning...Davis Vantage Pro front solar charging unit + the box that holds this unit+ 2 capacitors.
    Total cost $70 , including standard postage from Scaled Instruments USA.

Got a new OS Wmr 300
    Up and running and tweeting
    It’s side by side currently with the Davis so as to compare
    So far they’re matching exactly
    They even look alike

Wind vain needs leveling which needs someone holding a ladder so won’t be done tonight for health and safety reasons :D
    That means gusts are throwing the vain around giving Alice in wonder land wind directions
    Very exposed to the east , northeast south southeast southwest and west
    Less so northwest and sheltered north
    Compromises

Anyhow you can follow if you’d like
    Set every 30 mins and maybe 15 during significant weather

https://twitter.com/arklowweather/status/958810287779479554

Weather station seems to have come back to life with all the sun over the past few days, no backup battery in it though as it's completely dead and I'm fairly sure there's a supercap issue so I've no intention of putting one in until I get to Davis.

Davis support has been underwhelming so far, got an email reply after a week informing me that I have to ring them to organise a repair, they don't have an Irish number, but have a British and American number. Tried to call the British number, but they're only open 8am-4:30pm MON-THURS and 8am-1:30 on Friday, so they're fairly hard to find time to call. I'll ring when I get a chance.

Working for the moment anyway, while there's relatively sunny conditions.

Is it a vue?
    Just a battery issue?

• Advertisement

Is it a vue?
    Just a battery issue?

Yes and yes :) I

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Weather station seems to have come back to life with all the sun over the past few days, no backup battery in it though as it's completely dead and I'm fairly sure there's a supercap issue so I've no intention of putting one in until I get to Davis.

Davis support has been underwhelming so far, got an email reply after a week informing me that I have to ring them to organise a repair, they don't have an Irish number, but have a British and American number. Tried to call the British number, but they're only open 8am-4:30pm MON-THURS and 8am-1:30 on Friday, so they're fairly hard to find time to call. I'll ring when I get a chance.

Working for the moment anyway, while there's relatively sunny conditions.

Mr Price has the battery for €3 that goes in under the station (CR123 battery) They should be replaced yearly ideally in all Davis stations.

I don’t know mr price has them but most camera stores would have them

Danno wrote: »
    Mr Price has the battery for €3 that goes in under the station (CR123 battery) They should be replaced yearly ideally in all Davis stations.

Oh I'm aware, I've discussed it two pages back. Bought a battery when it died assuming it was a normal issue, but the battery died 3 days later. After much troubleshooting I've came to the conclusion that it's the common supercap issue, and when the battery is in the station that it won't use the solar panel and will simply just drain the battery.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Looking for suggestions for a station for a primary school , please.

Looking for suggestions for a station for a primary school , please.

What’s your budget?

Oh I'm aware, I've discussed it two pages back. Bought a battery when it died assuming it was a normal issue, but the battery died 3 days later. After much troubleshooting I've came to the conclusion that it's the common supercap issue, and when the battery is in the station that it won't use the solar panel and will simply just drain the battery.

Can you use a UK Davis agent? Sending it there for repair?
    There’s one in Cork actually,I’ve lost the details but I’ll look

Will look into it, CH are probably the vendor Infact!

• Advertisement

They’d probably have to send it away
    I think the weather shop I deal with in England do their own credited repairs but I haven’t any experience of that yet

What you could also do is try you tube for DIY repair videos

There’s a rake of them

https://youtu.be/2oT8fpdPshI

Advertisement