Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ear to the ground

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,134 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

On veganism now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭naughto

whelan2 wrote: »
    On veganism now

Watching it a vegan butcher what next

Would love to no the price of the meal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

If Thalia doesn't convert you, nobody will.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭naughto

eezipc wrote: »
    If Thalia doesn't convert you, nobody will.

She can have my meat any day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Odelay

You'd want to have taken a good dose of Valium to deal with them vegans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

naughto wrote: »

What next is right ,for **** sake it is promoting our top class beef and dairy ETG should be instead of giving that shower air play.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

With vegans, it's all 'I believe this' and ' I belive that'. No discussing or debating the facts.
    It really is like a religion with them.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

She can have my meat any day

She might be glad of sausage yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭alps

That was the most amazing......farm yard I've ever seen...

Truly inspirational...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Did anyone else do a double take when Darragh said yer mans cows were milking 60 litres a day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,134 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

lefthooker wrote: »
    Did anyone else do a double take when Darragh said yer mans cows were milking 60 litres a day?

He said UP to 60 litres.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Amazing how vegans moan about people eating meat and then they want products that resemble it like that McCartney one vile sausages but a vegan butcher FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭alps

The preparation that goes into making that food must be immense...it really looked like a work of art...but must be full of processed colours and flavours to make it taste like the real thing....

Why would you want it to taste like the real thing? Why are the nut waters fortified so as to match cow milk nutritionally?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Amazing how vegans moan about people eating meat and then they want products that resemble it like that McCartney one vile sausages but a vegan butcher FFS.

Why does that bother you? It's hurting no one.

Eathrin wrote: »

It doesn't bother me one bit, I said it is amazing. Looks like we have a vegan visitor to F&F.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

The ultimate goal of vegans/animal rights is to end animal agriculture...which is our business so yes its hurting us

I can tell you with 100% certainty that a vegan whole foods diet is substantially cheaper than one with animal products. The price of vegan restaurant meals are also effectively no different to similar non-vegan places.
    With vegans, it's all 'I believe this' and ' I belive that'. No discussing or debating the facts.
    It really is like a religion with them.

It's not though really is it?

We could talk about how animal agriculture is probably the biggest contributor to climate change. We could talk about all of the medical issues caused by processed meats, saturated fats, cholesterol, antibiotics and hormones etc.

ganmo wrote: »
    The ultimate goal of vegans/animal rights is to end animal agriculture...which is our business so yes its hurting us

I think vegans would ultimately like to see farmers shift their produce towards plant produce. No one would wish anyone out of a job I would hope. Consumer demand is what would drive these forces in any case.

It doesn't bother me one bit, I said it is amazing. Looks like we have a vegan visitor to F&F.

Surely not the first! Wouldn't it be possible after all to be a vegan farmer and forester.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

It's not though really is it?

We could talk about how animal agriculture is probably the biggest contributor to climate change. We could talk about all of the medical issues caused by processed meats, saturated fats, cholesterol, antibiotics and hormones etc.

Maybe you should do a little research. Burning of fossil fuels is the biggest contributor.

Could you answer me one simple question - how do you grow vegtables without fertiliser?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

Maybe you should do a little research. Burning of fossil fuels is the biggest contributor.

Could you answer me one simple question - how do you grow vegtables without fertiliser?

Also sprays, I suppose vegans think all plants are grown organically for them. They are also in the dark about different soil types as they think vegetables will grow anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,118 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Just out of curiosity.
    What would be your typical diet for the day and week be?
    Do you take supplements?
    Do you have your weeks diet all planned out?
    Would you eat a nettle or a dandelion root? :D

I'm genuinely interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭White Clover

Just out of curiosity.
    Do you take supplements?

Would they ate rushes and ragworth?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

No. Ye should try to promote the latest buzz word super food from all the fancy foodie mags, Juncus effusus :).

:D

Ah no but seriously.
    Anyone that's vegan must follow a fairly strict diet. Plus it's harder to consume enough nutrients than say fish, meat or eggs. It's harder to get that kick in a small package I'd imagine. Could go about omega 3's and all but I'd like to genuinely hear how someone plans their diet or if at all? Just a peek into someone else's life.

Plus I'm waiting on a heifer to calve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭White Clover

No. Ye should try to promote the latest buzz word super food from all the fancy foodie mags, Juncus effusus :).

Yes of course. I sell that at my local market....was all sold out by 11 this morning. I have it grown on contract by some of the best farmers in the parish...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Sure somebody has to be blamed.

I've done research, I say probably as it's difficult to get reliable estimates for these things. Some popular reports put animal agriculture at 51% of greenhouse gas contribution. Not to mention rainforest destruction. Even if it was half that, would you not agree that it is still a shockingly large contributor to a global problem? Obviously, as another enormous contributor, we should all be pushing for green energy production i.e. windfarms and solar panels on all roofs etc.

That's a good question. Some people certainly do grow their own vegetables without animal fertiliser. There is such a thing as green manure. This guy does it commercially too for example http://www.tolhurstorganic.co.uk/
    Are animals not after all just aggregators of their inputs. Most of the energy in their food is used up between the time it enters the mouth and exits the other side if them.
    This is honestly a great question and one I hadn't thought about a whole lot before, so thank you. It would be really interesting to see more research done in this area. From history, farmers in India, China and Greece appear to have used green manures on large scale farms.
    Also sprays, I suppose vegans think all plants are grown organically for them. They are also in the dark about different soil types as they think vegetables will grow anywhere.

I don't think they do. But would you bash people for trying to make ethical choices if they can't live their lives 100% ethically? We should try to live our lives as ethically as possible in all areas. Some people might say it would be completely impractical to go without a mobile phone for example, even knowing it was assembled by some poor soul far far away. We should all aim to reduce our unethical behaviour as much as practicable right? Vegans say that eating meat and animal excretions is unnecessary, because it isn't.

Just out of curiosity.
    Do you take supplements?

I'm actually only recently vegan so I'm still learning new meals everyday. It's certainly helped me to think about my nutrition, which I never did before, but I'm not sure that's the case for most people!

I do take a b12 and Vitamin D supplement, though I get a decent amount of that from the fortified milk.

So I might for example be eating:

Breakfast: Porridge with almond milk (Sultanas and pumpkin seeds if I have the time)
    or
    Toast with a dairy based spread, maybe a soy based yoghurt

Lunch: I've been making baguettes filled with humous, chickpeas, roasted pepper and spinach. Really nice.
    or
    Falafel sandwiches are also really nice.
    also
    vegan protein bars when I exercise, fruit, dairy free yoghurt, I'm starting to enjoy eating certain nuts, coconut based smoothies etc.

Dinner:
    One dish I'm really good at now is a Spinach, chickpea and sweet potato curry. I've made this for loads of family and friends who all love it. You should try it if you haven't before! http://thevegan8.com/2016/09/21/sweet-potato-chickpea-and-spinach-coconut-curry/
    or
    I also make vegan burgers
    or
    Most dry pastas are egg free so there's loads you can do with that.
    or
    Loads of good Indian takeaway food is vegan

This all just off the top of my head. Of course this isn't all I eat...

I don't have my meals all planned out, no, but then, I never did in the past. It's not like meat is some sort of magical multivitamin or something that means you don't need to consider your diet at all. I should plan better, but so should everyone else. I do have a reasonable idea now of my nutritional needs and I do keep an eye on what type of foods I need to be consuming to meet those needs.

I wouldn't be into eating either of those things now, sorry to disappoint :D
    Honestly though, it's opened my eyes up to how much else is on the shelves at the supermarket.

Nope, you could try that out and report back to me if you like though :)

I have some spirulina in the press but I've never actually tried it. Maybe someday.
    I says wrote: »
    Sure somebody has to be blamed.

We all do things that make us all to blame. It's about taking reductionist measures, wherever possible, to reverse the damage done. It would be ignorant to point the finger at any one particular group of people.

Thanks for the reply.
    Nice to see the dairy based spread there for breakfast.

All people should take more of an interest in what they eat regardless of persuasion.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply.
    Nice to see the dairy based spread there for breakfast.

All people should take more of an interest in what they eat regardless of persuasion.

Whoops :p I meant non-dairy of course. I use Pure - Sunflower spread. Lots of other spreads I never really considered much before too can be used for various applications. Humous, vegan pesto, relishes etc.

Advertisement