Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rolling Stones - 17th May 2018 - Croke Park - *Discussion Only / No Ticket Sales*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,225 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

dragonfly! wrote: »
    Slane is a farce though....

Have you tried camping at Slane??
    Obviously not ......

*Croke park gig slides into Slane is sh1te ...... :rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

piplip87 wrote:
    I really dont understand the hate for Slane. The majority of it comes from delays getting there, or getting out but it's a faulas site for a gig.

Slane is rated as one of the best outdoor venues in the world. Springsteen says its one of the best gigs for him

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Slane is rated as one of the best outdoor venues in the world. Springsteen says its one of the best gigs for him

Bruce doesn't have to get the bus home tho :p

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Juanner

I wouldn't have thought Bruce would say it was one of his best gigs. Memorable, for sure, but that was more to do with it being his first ever large-scale outdoor shows and witnessing a level of drunkenness and pushing that he'd never seen from a crowd anywhere else before. He's been back many times since and never gone near Slane again. There's probably a good reason for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Slane is rated as one of the best outdoor venues in the world.

By who?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

piplip87 wrote: »
    I really dont understand the hate for Slane. The majority of it comes from delays getting there, or getting out but it's a faulas site for a gig.

yea i love slane.particularly all leaving out of one gate with thousands of wobbly drunks, through mud **** and piss to get on a bus for 7 hours to get home.yea slane is brilliant. :rolleyes:

ps i would go back for pearl jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,692 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Slanes grand, as long as it doesn't rain, and if it's not too hot, and if you have a ridiculous amount of money to spend on ****e food and drink, and Don't mind the fact that the ground is 85% urine in certain parts, and that half the time getting out involves a mucky version of the travelator from gladiators with the added challenge of drunk lads playing human bowling if it's wet just to spend 2 hours queueing for a bus that takes 2 hours back.......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,692 ✭✭✭hynesie08

90% sure it's the stones, but didn't Fleetwood Mac say they would be touring around June? And they sold out 2 nights in the 3 arena fairly easily? They seem more an Aviva band but as everyone says when croke park gigs are mentioned "if the script can sell it out".

The Nal wrote:
    By who?

By musicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 marcmc77

I thought max 3 gigs a year at this venue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

That's why he has never played there since June 1 1985.I was there that day.Bruce and the band stopped playing after only three songs,due to the awful level of drunkeness and crushing in front of the stage.He thought people were going to get killed or badly injured.They did not start playing again until things had settled down,then it was into a blasting version of Johnny 99.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Hope it’s the stones. Not seen them and want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Juanner wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought Bruce would say it was one of his best gigs. Memorable, for sure, but that was more to do with it being his first ever large-scale outdoor shows and witnessing a level of drunkenness and pushing that he'd never seen from a crowd anywhere else before. He's been back many times since and never gone near Slane again. There's probably a good reason for that!

He wanted to walk off the stage after 10 minutes, he was terrified that the drunken fools were going to get killed.

Yeah, his best gig ever.

That's why he has never played there since June 1 1985.I was there that day.Bruce and the band stopped playing after only three songs,due to the awful level of drunkeness and crushing in front of the stage.He thought people were going to get killed or badly injured.They did not start playing again until things had settled down,then it was into a blasting version of Johnny 99.

I was there myself. Biggest crowd ever in Slane close to 120k. They had to limit the number to 80k or 85k after that.

He wanted to walk off the stage after 10 minutes, he was terrified that the drunken fools were going to get killed.

Yeah, his best gig ever.

Irish people are drunken fools regardless of the venue. If I remember correctly you couldn't buy beer in Slane for that gig. It was the first gig since the Bob Dylan "drunken riots" two years before.

Bruce is on the record of saying several times that it is one of the best venues in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Juanner wrote: »
    Springsteen is promoted by Aiken here, Slane is an MCD venue.

if Aiken could have, I've no doubt they'd have put him in Slane, rather than shoving him in the RDS for multiple nights a few times, and then sending him around the country because they couldn't rinse a few more nights out of the RDS and didn't have any other suitable outdoor venues to put him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Went to Slane once.

Probably looks fantastic for those on stage-Natural amphitheatre yadda yadda but it’s a complete kip for the audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Went to Slane once.

Probably looks fantastic for those on stage-Natural amphitheatre yadda yadda but it’s a complete kip for the audience.

Agreed.I was there only once myself,as posted previously Springsteen in 1985.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

GnR start their European tour June 3rd in Berlin
    They could kick off here instead on the 17th May
    Sold 80k in Slane last year with no major support act could fill Croker this year with decent support

What kind? suitable and major support act sometimes aren't the same thing. Royal Blood played the 3arena recently who were you gonna suggest? A band that can shift tickets on their own doesn't need value to be added sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Hearing on Newstalk that the licence is suppose to be for The Rolling Stones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

What kind? suitable and major support act sometimes aren't the same thing. Royal Blood played the 3arena recently who were you gonna suggest? A band that can shift tickets on their own doesn't need value to be added sadly.

On the day Royal Blood kicked ass at Slane and Other Kin gave it their all Mark Lanagan was.....well drab
    I suppose what I mean is GnR sold Slane on the novelty factor of the part reunion and turned out a great show
    But a year later with the same set list I think they would need a more established act this year as support or a double bill to sell out Croke Park eg Foo Fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

By musicians.

Oh I'm sure its pretty to look at. I'm talking about the other 85k fans though who get treated like absolute dirt.

Its a fúcking terrible venue. Maybe the worst I've ever been to.

The Nal wrote:
    Oh I'm sure its pretty to look at. I'm talking about the other 85k fans though who get treated like absolute dirt.

It's an outdoor gig. I expect mud and delays. However the sound is the best in Ireland for an outdoor gig. Croke Park, landsdown Road can't get decent sound throughout the park. With Slane you can due to the natural acoustics

• Registered Users Posts: 37,787 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Don't think this will happen

Residents

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Jesus wept not the fcuking slane debate again

• Registered Users Posts: 37,787 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

MadYaker wrote: »
    Jesus wept not the fcuking slane debate again

Wait til it's announced and then cancelled by the Dublin CC
    Garthgate all over again

Don't think aiken will that stupid again and will wait til the licence is granted to announce it

Stones only worried about the cheque tbh and won't give a flying **** if it goes ahead or not

• Registered Users Posts: 10,225 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Would the Stones sell that out ?
    Big risk imo , their fan base is relatively small id imagine now, and even the corporate/event junkies wouldn't go to that?
    Id listen to their 'older' stuff (its all older stuff now!!) but theres no way id go to see them (barely) Live ?!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

However the sound is the best in Ireland for an outdoor gig.

That's a pretty low bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

greenspurs wrote: »
    Would the Stones sell that out ?
    Big risk imo , their fan base is relatively small id imagine now, and even the corporate/event junkies wouldn't go to that?
    Id listen to their 'older' stuff (its all older stuff now!!) but theres no way id go to see them (barely) Live ?!

It would attract a lot of punters from overseas I imagine, same as the hardcore fans travelled to Barcelona last year.

But I agree the clock is ticking, both in terms of their own appeal and the turnaround time to sell what undoubtedly will be very pricey tickets.

• Advertisement

greenspurs wrote:
    Would the Stones sell that out ? Big risk imo , their fan base is relatively small id imagine now, and even the corporate/event junkies wouldn't go to that? Id listen to their 'older' stuff (its all older stuff now!!) but theres no way id go to see them (barely) Live ?!

They are one of the biggest touring bands in the world. They are on a par with U2 in tour earnings.

They sold out in Slane 10 years ago. That had 80k.

Advertisement