Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dundee (2018)

• 19-01-2018 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭

Big facepalm here. This has the potential to be horrific. With a bad script, I think Danny McBride is as funny as a toothache...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

WTF NO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Wow it's Danny McBride.........playing........the same character he plays in every movie/tv series...........regardless of genre

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I.. eh.. what?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,089 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Having any strong opinions on whatever this is would necessitate having a strong opinion on the Crocodile Dundee franchise in the first place. My opinion on said franchise amounts to 'yes, those are certainly films that exist :cool:'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't think this is real. There's no listing for it on IMDb. Nobody knew it existed until today. There's a website but nothing about the director, etc. An article in the People but again no detail. Seems like viral marketing for something else. Reminds me of the fake trailers in Tropic Thunder.

I'd say it has something to do with this film, which was made by McBride's production company:

https://news.avclub.com/the-people-behind-eastbound-down-are-making-a-movie-w-1798280490

Either the trailer is promotion for The Legacy Of A Whitetail Deer Hunter, or The Legacy Of A Whitetail Deer Hunter was a cover for a Dundee film. I suspect the former.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Danny mcbride is the man !

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Chris Hemsworth on board...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Most memorable thing from that trailer......It's made by RIMFIRE films........

I assume it's viral marketing for something, can't see something like this being kept quiet for so long.

I rewatched the original films a couple of years back and enjoyed the first two for what they are, light, throwaway fluff. Sure they've dated badly and if they were released today would no doubt be offensive but Hogan is quite likeable and they're well made and fun. The third one is pretty poor and it's a shame that Hogan has spent so long fighting the tax man in Australia as Strange Bedfellows and Charlie & Boots were entertaining and Hogan has a natural charm that makes him very likeable, can't see Danny McBride managing to capture that easy-going manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭tony stark

McBride is the man for sure! Doubtful generation snowflake will cope with the crudeness of himself and Hogan. I’ll be watching it for sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I assume it's viral marketing for something, can't see something like this being kept quiet for so long.

I rewatched the original films a couple of years back and enjoyed the first two for what they are, light, throwaway fluff. Sure they've dated badly and if they were released today would no doubt be offensive but Hogan is quite likeable and they're well made and fun. The third one is pretty poor and it's a shame that Hogan has spent so long fighting the tax man in Australia as Strange Bedfellows and Charlie & Boots were entertaining and Hogan has a natural charm that makes him very likeable, can't see Danny McBride managing to capture that easy-going manner.

The first 2 were great fun with some memorable scenes and so many quotable lines ("that's not a knife!", etc). The odd time they're shown on TV I'd still sit and watch.

True enough, some of the scenes would never make it past the cutting room floor in our more PC times... remember the black limo driver... "What tribe are you from?". He was played by the guy who went on to star as Sgt. Al Powell in Die Hard if I recall correctly!

The third one was really terrible though alright - the joke was up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

tony stark wrote: »
    McBride is the man for sure! Doubtful generation snowflake will cope with the crudeness of himself and Hogan. I’ll be watching it for sure

You're bad-ass, man! Yeah! **** respecting people.

*High-five*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

youngblood wrote: »
    Most memorable thing from that trailer......It's made by RIMFIRE films........

Rimfire Films was the production company that made the first 2 Dundee films.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't ... get ... this. Why?? For who? Has there been this sleeper cell of Crocodile Dundee fandom lurking in pop-culture all these years?

I'm going to lean towards Darko's theory that this is a viral marketing thing: the Super Bowl is almost around the corner, right? Perhaps it's a lead-up to some grand halftime advertisement (remember how the internet exploded over what initially looked like a sequel to Ferris Beuller's Day Off?)

As for the appeal of Danny McBride? I don't see it; he literally plays the exact same character every time - and it's not even that amazing a character either. Oh look, he's being brash and obnoxious. I seriously doubt anyone from 'generation snowflake' is that upset by him, he's not that interesting (though I've heard he's pretty good in Vice Principals, where he plays a PE teacher)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

He definitely plays the same character all the time but for the most part I still find him funny. I'd be well on board with this movie, Hemsworth is also a very good comic actor when he wants to be and I could see the two of them having a lot of chemistry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Confirmed fake. It’s part of a viral campaign for Tourism Australia. Full ad will be shown during the Super Bowl.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/nfl/crocodile-dundee-reboot-outed-as-advertising-campaign-for-tourism-australia-20180124-h0nlmz.html

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭tony stark

Goodshape wrote: »
    You're bad-ass, man! Yeah! **** respecting people.

*High-five*
    Awesome dude! Double high five. I love sarcasm. It’s kkewwwllllllll

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

It's a shame it is not real. I would have seen it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Confirmed fake. It’s part of a viral campaign for Tourism Australia. Full ad will be shown during the Super Bowl.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/nfl/crocodile-dundee-reboot-outed-as-advertising-campaign-for-tourism-australia-20180124-h0nlmz.html

Thank Christ.

I don't mind the idea of a Dundee reboot, but could have done without converting it to the 'slapstick comedy/toilet humour' which that trailer was considering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭p to the e

As an aside, the Crocodile Dundee score is one of my regular listens.

Can't find the full thing on Youtube. Maybe I'll upload it. Anyway here's some highlights of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPrNLVCDgMg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jVA6lF2gaw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKY_PCht5mk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m3tqLKbV9s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1mygA7sJ1E

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah always liked that score. I think the first film still holds up quite well (there's a reason it got oscar nominated after all). The second has its moments too but it's not particularly good overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Apart from the part where a huge croc cant's drag someone into the water by the water bottle! Even when I was a kid that scene annoyed me!

I presume they're keeping the proper cameo until the Super Bowl ad itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,953 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Full trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

hah brilliant!!

Thank God its fake, would have been a terrible film, great add for Australia tourism tho !!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's something a little sad and depressing about seeing an actor, visible aged if not geriatric, wearing the costume of their most famous role from their youth.

pixelburp wrote: »
    There's something a little sad and depressing about seeing an actor, visible aged if not geriatric, wearing the costume of their most famous role from their youth.

This was always my biggest problem with KOTCS. People finds lots to complain about in that movie, but for me I just can't get past how how old Ford looks in that outfit. And high his belt is! I know the Indy outfit is iconic and part of his uniform but they still should have changed it. Like in TFA they gave him a new costume that still looked like something Han Solo would wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

im actually kinda disappointed its not real.

i was looking forward to seeing crowe play a murdoch-esque villain.

:D

still fair play to em for pulling off such a stroke. rare enough thing to do these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Advertisement