Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

France vs Ireland Buildup Thread [MOD WARNING IN OP]

Options
  • 29-01-2018 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

8600804282_9e60b939fd.jpg

4593395_6_e013_isabelle-ithurburu-journaliste-de-canal-au_cdf55bafd383623d13b7733eb4b58d4a.jpg

MOD WARNING: No discussion of the Paddy Jackson/Stuart Olding case in this thread, even if only somewhat related.

This thread is for discussion of the match/build up to the match only.

Who will win? 91 votes

Máire Treasa
    0%
    Isabelle Ithurburu
    47%
    dreginionapaulCrowdedHouse[Deleted User]SpudmonkeyfguinanFreudianSlippersZzippypudzey101funnynameTimothy BryceScrubsfanChrisSanjuronot yetwillitDGRulzDoeshedareJoe ExoticclintondalyC0N0R 43 votes
    Paul K*mmage
    52%
    dubaljoseywhalesTeferi2smiggyirishbucsfansydthebeatCIARAN_BOYLEscott1974irishgroverno.8thomond2006pipelasergreendomerrlloydSubpopulusjack01986Squidgy BlackmmouseDoylershow.gareth 48 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Paul K*mmage
    News from the French camp today is Guirado and Poirot aren't training due to gastroenteritis. No known camp casualties for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

The same fixture 2 years ago:

We definitely have a better team this year and had some terrible luck with injuries and head on head knocks in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Isabelle Ithurburu
    News from the French camp today is Guirado and Poirot aren't training due to gastroenteritis. No known camp casualties for Ireland.

RWC '95 repeat?

Would Ireland stoop as low as food poisoning?

Would James Lowe being on the catering staff count as food poisoning?

Paul K*mmage
    Disclaimer: I think Ireland will win but I am obliged to vote Isabelle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

If recent form is any indicator this should be a comfortable win for Ireland. France are are stuck in a rut and losing to teams we beat with relative ease. Although that was a few months ago when they had a different head coach and a different squad of players. There's an element of the unknown about them this time around that makes them harder to analyse, but I'd still say Ireland to win by 7 at least. We've a strong squad that knows the game plan inside out. Lots of young players there but they've been integrated successfully. Just compare that to France with their new head coach and half a squad of new or relatively inexperienced players to the test side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I think we will win, not sure at what point it becomes comfortable though. I reckon a 7-10 point margin, a fired up performance from France, but too much control from us. I can’t see us losing the game but I don’t see us scoring a lot either.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,760 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hoping for an irish win but Reckon the french will come out flying and Paris is a hard place to win

We need to keep our heads, last year we went over to Scotland and we though all we had to do was turn up but we left with our tails between our legs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Best opening post ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

A few French players have suffered a bout of gastroenteritis in training camp.Their captain Guilhelm Guirado and loosehead Jefferson Poirot (he'll get to the bottom of the outbreak) haven't trained due illness. Doumayrou didn't train due to a thigh problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Paul K*mmage
    I forgot about Isabelle. France could win this.

• Advertisement

Paul K*mmage

When Isabelle is on the sideline, look what happens.

Thankfully she doesn't work for France Télevisions. The Irish team could never survive in that atmosphere!

Paul K*mmage
    I'm NOT obsessed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Isabelle Ithurburu
    Off to Paris Wednesday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,008 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Paul K*mmage
    I'm NOT obsessed.
    Never occurred to me that you were. Until this post of course. :P

Paul K*mmage
    Off to Paris Wednesday!!
    Thursday morning for me. Back Monday night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CJay1

Eh...is this not just totally sexist?? Or am I missing something? Don't consider myself to be too PC either..

• Subscribers Posts: 40,981 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Paul K*mmage
    CJay1 wrote: »
    Eh...is this not just totally sexist?? Or am I missing something? Don't consider myself to be too PC either..

What are you talking about?
    Paul Kimmage is a good looking bloke...

Isabelle Ithurburu

Excuse me, do you mind not interrupting our 'people holding inanimate object' picture competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Just watching last years game 25 mins in
    France completely dominated Ireland
    Scrum
    Line-out
    Tackle

Lamerat in beast mode. He had a try disallowed on 17min. Surprise surprise Ireland were exposed out wide from a cross field kick. Kearney swept across and completely missed Huget. Fickou then knocked on.

27 min Irish line-out maul.Sexton loop (David Knox tm). 5yrd scrum x2. Henshaw crash ball. Murray try.

Ireland then pummel France for the rest of the half.

Halftime: 7-6

I can see the 1st half on Saturday going something like the above. I hope!

Paul K*mmage

Quite the opposite in fact. I was growing tired of all the buildup posts containing pictures of men so....

• Advertisement

Paul K*mmage
    Been following these lads for a while. This preview is particularly good. Ireland are most likely than any other team to score from a turnover.

Paul K*mmage
    I do like this bit in the Indo's report on French injuries/illnesses:

"Out-half Matthieu Jalibert had a scare after colliding with Virimi Vakatawa."

:)

Paul K*mmage
    Midi Olymique's probable XV:

Poirot, Guirado, Slimani, Iturria, Vahaamahina, Camara, Macalou, Gourdon;
    Machenaud, Jalibert, Vakawata, Lamerat, Doumayrou, Thomas, Palis

I've never seen Jalibert play but this is quite the debut if true. He only turned 19 in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Midi Olymique's probable XV:

Poirot, Guirado, Slimani, Iturria, Vahaamahina, Camara, Macalou, Gourdon;
    Machenaud, Jalibert, Vakawata, Lamerat, Doumayrou, Thomas, Palis

Pretty decent side.

Sorry wait am I allowed say that or am I going to be shouted down by a wall of bluster now?

I've never seen Jalibert play but this is quite the debut if true. He only turned 19 in November.

He has to be a target for our backrow and centres if he plays.

Been following these lads for a while. This preview is particularly good. Ireland are most likely than any other team to score from a turnover.

Some interesting stuff in that alright. Never would have thought of us as a counter attacking team. It’s interesting to see how little Sexton kicks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Isabelle Ithurburu
    Disclaimer: I think Ireland will win but I am obliged to vote Isabelle.
    I know... I was so torn!

Paul K*mmage
    Mods, please ban:

Hippo, maddness, stephen_n, Trojan, zambrotta11

Paul K*mmage
    Mods, please ban:

At least they voted. It looks like IBF has abstained which is a much more insidious revolt. :(

Mods, please ban:

Had to save you from claims of sexism ;) where’s your national pride, vote Irish :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

That video above is very interesting, will keep an eye on their stuff. One thing that really stood out to me is how much longer it takes Ireland when in possession to score than England or Wales. Ties in fairly well with the way we tend to play in the 6N which is basically try to run over the other team, e.g. when you look at how much possession we had against the likes of Wales last season with no tries scored.

Another interesting point is that everything about Italy's lineout (winning their own ball, attacking off their own ball, defending the other team's ball) is absolutely awful and it's hugely costly for them. Wonder if that's a coaching issue or what.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement