Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Started On My First Bike

Options
  • 28-01-2018 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi,

I’ve don’t know much about bikes, but i’ve always been very fond of Harley 883s.

I’ve been considering getting one for some time, however i’ve never even been on a bike before.

I know most people will probably say an Iron 883 is not the best bike to start on, and maybe it is not even possible from a legal point of view (engine size, etc).

Could someone please help me and outline the latest legislation in terms of getting started on a bike, taking the following into consideration:

- i’m 35
    - what is the max engine size you can start on
    - how and what do I need to get a licence
    - will someone insure me on a 883
    - do I need to do a course to get started, legally
    - any other advice

Thanks in advance for your help, and apologies for the basic questions, however people are giving me contradicting information.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You will need to do theory test, apply for learning permit, brt, as you are 35 you can go straight to A licence you will see all you need to know on bike sizes and that they must be a certain kw rating.

I would suggest get learner permit and do some riding on a school bike to get a feel for it and then decide on the Harley as it would be near impossible to do a test on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

you need to do theory test, get your A permit, do IBT training, then pass a full test

you can ride the harley on your A permit but I doubt you'd get insured cheaply as a learner on it. probably best to get a cheap starter bike to learn on and then get the harley, but you can do what you like in that regard, if they'll insure you on the harley straight away then happy days

edit: what he said

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭oo7

Thanks for your help.

Once I pass the theory test, what is involved to get an A permit?

oo7 wrote: »
    Thanks for your help.

You fill in form and go to ndls and they take your photo.
    Eye test and check other terms. Garda station will have forms or print them off

You need proof of address, PPS and photos I.d.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

oo7 wrote: »
    Thanks for your help.

You fill in form and go to ndls and they take your photo.
    Eye test and check other terms. Garda station will have forms or print them off

You need proof of address, PPS and photos I.d.

Not to forget IBT can't get on the road without it.

• Advertisement

colm_c wrote: »
    Not to forget IBT can't get on the road without it.

Yes as mentioned earlier but i called it brt by mistake other poster added the ibt.

I was mixing up with UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

Op do you have a full irish driving licence? If so you can get the APermit then do mudules 13 and 5 to ride a bigger bike and do test on a bigger bike. If you do modules 1 to 4 you can only ride and do test on a 125 cc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Assuming you drive a car, (based on your age) there is a good chance that if you learned to drive a car and took the car theory test in the early 2000s, there's a very good chance that you don't have to take the bike theory test. Until 2006, the theory test covered cars AND bikes and it would still be valid for you today. Just a thought.

As a game plan;
    - get a permit
    - do NOTHING in the way of even buying gear or anything, just take the permit to a trainer - they will let you ride different bikes and will provide every stitch of gear you need
    - fully complete IBT to cat A level
    - decide if you like bikes and want to continue
    - if you do, get a bike (of your choice - anything you like and can get insured on, get gear, insurance etc etc
    - get many miles of practice in
    - book test
    - while the training is still fresh, pass your test ASAP (you can hire a bike from your trainer if your own chosen bike is not cat A)
    - ride off into sunset

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

cantdecide wrote: »
    Assuming you drive a car, (based on your age) there is a good chance that if you learned to drive a car and took the car theory test in the early 2000s, there's a very good chance that you don't have to take the bike theory test. Until 2006, the theory test covered cars AND bikes and it would still be valid for you today. Just a thought.

As a game plan;
    - get a permit
    - do NOTHING in the way of even buying gear or anything, just take the permit to a trainer - they will let you ride different bikes and will provide every stitch of gear you need
    - fully complete IBT to cat A level
    - decide if you like bikes and want to continue
    - if you do, get a bike (of your choice - anything you like and can get insured on, get gear, insurance etc etc
    - get many miles of practice in
    - book test
    - while the training is still fresh, pass your test ASAP (you can hire a bike from your trainer if your own chosen bike is not cat A)
    - ride off into sunset

I'd rather use my own lid when riding, all the rest can be got from the school but a properly sized new lid is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Del2005 wrote: »
    I'd rather use my own lid when riding, all the rest can be got from the school but a properly sized new lid is essential.

Del, I can't disagree with you (mainly from the point of view that it's icky to use other people's helmets) but I'd add the point that I wouldn't buy a 'keeper' as a raw learner for two reasons - I wouldn't fancy a huge unnecessary investment in motorcycle gear before I'd confirmed I'd be sticking with it and on the occasion you have a learner tumble, I wouldn't fancy the dilemma of binning a scuffed €500 Shoei.

My cheap helmet story is that my beautiful €450 Shark went back on the shelf with [another] broken visor the same day I went out for a spin with my mates. I picked my €90 Nitro spare helmet off the shelf and went out and had a [literally] head-on collision with a chemical sprayer on the back of a tractor (a non-fault accident, btw- the sprayer broke loose after the tractor hit a pothole) and took the blow across my right upper arm and in the head (a miracle I wasn't decapitated). The cheap lid did it's job perfectly which bolstered the argument I'd hear prior - most of the money in the expensive helmet is for comfort, utility, longevity, style and branding and the shells pretty much all do the same job. I decided then that I'd never spend €450+ again unless I ever started commuting or touring. Honestly, I never came close to understanding where the €450 price tag came from on the Shark.

Just my 2c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,027 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Honestly, I never came close to understanding where the €450 price tag came from on the Shark.
    If there are people who will pay €450 for a helmet, the market will provide. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭oo7

Thanks for all of the great advice and help, it's much appreciated.

It seems like the IBT is the biggest thing to get sorted. I'll get on that first, thanks again for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Del, I can't disagree with you (mainly from the point of view that it's icky to use other people's helmets) but I'd add the point that I wouldn't buy a 'keeper' as a raw learner for two reasons - I wouldn't fancy a huge unnecessary investment in motorcycle gear before I'd confirmed I'd be sticking with it and on the occasion you have a learner tumble, I wouldn't fancy the dilemma of binning a scuffed €500 Shoei.

My cheap helmet story is that my beautiful €450 Shark went back on the shelf with [another] broken visor the same day I went out for a spin with my mates. I picked my €90 Nitro spare helmet off the shelf and went out and had a [literally] head-on collision with a chemical sprayer on the back of a tractor (a non-fault accident, btw- the sprayer broke loose after the tractor hit a pothole) and took the blow across my right upper arm and in the head (a miracle I wasn't decapitated). The cheap lid did it's job perfectly which bolstered the argument I'd hear prior - most of the money in the expensive helmet is for comfort, utility, longevity, style and branding and the shells pretty much all do the same job. I decided then that I'd never spend €450+ again unless I ever started commuting or touring. Honestly, I never came close to understanding where the €450 price tag came from on the Shark.

Just my 2c

I only advised a new lid not a new expensive lid. As flawed as the SHARP tests are, as are all the tests for lids, the top of the price range helmets did poorly in them and your story proves that a proper fitted lid is what counts not the €€€€€€

Advertisement