Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby On Board

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

doolox wrote: »
    Until recently the max weight allowed to be carried by men was 50 kg while women were restricted to 20 kg. It has only recently been equalised.

Less of the poor victim please.

On the weight you are completely wrong
    *there is no max weight limits, only guide weights in specific zones and dependant on frequency of lift, posture etc
    *female guide weight are 2/3 of male.
    *There used to be old limits of 55 and 16kg but they have been revoked with over 20 years

As an aside we all could do with standing more, and lifting more.

Quit being whiny cnuts, be glad of your health and fcuking stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

doolox wrote: »

Things such as the LUAS for a few stops is not too bad but a trip like Tallaght to City Centre or the outer suburbs can take more than an hour and is ridiculous.
    Would you stand on a trip all the way to Athlone?? Timewise this is what is being asked off some unlucky passengers on Dublin Bus.

Imagine how much worse it would be if standing was physically painful and an able-bodied person refused to help you because they got there first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

kylith wrote: »
    Imagine how much worse it would be if standing was physically painful and an able-bodied person refused to help you because they got there first.

If standing causes you physical pain and you want to be guaranteed a seat, leave work before rush hour, or if you can’t leave early find a nice cafe to sit in and wait until rush hour is over.

You aren’t special, you are pregnant. Millions of women have been pregnant before you, millions of women will be pregnant after you. Women have been pregnant up mountains, in jungles, in deserts, in war-zones, in arctic conditions.

So suck it up princess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I haven't read the full thread. Here's my thoughts

I offer my seat to anyone I think looks more in need of it than I. An older citizen. A heavily pregnant person who looks uncomfortable and tired. Someone with crutches.

Sometimes my train is so packed in the morning I've had to sit on the floor to avoid fainting. Sometimes I get offered a seat which I take, other times I stay on the floor which is grand - rather than standing and fainting.
    Once a lady screeched at me for taking up so much room and wouldn't listen as I explained 're the fainting plus that my footprint was the same (I curl my legs up to my chest).

I think we should all just be kind to each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

em_cat wrote: »
    Because she was made to wear a yellow Star of David as a ‘badge’ of her being a Jew. It made sense to me bc they are both yellow.

I think this whole baby on board badge thing is bloody ridiculous and expectant mums should get over it & stop being miffed if people can’t immediately tell. If you have a medical condition that is worse bc of the pregnancy then fine ask for a seat politely & you’ll likely get one. No drama needed.

Being pregnant is not the same as having a disability, hidden or not.

It doesn’t matter that it’s a transitory state rather than a permanent disability. All that matters is that in that moment, it’s causing the person issues. My lower spine is damaged due to cancer and I’m frequently in pain from it. That makes me empathise with pregnant women who are in pain or exhausted or feel faint rather than think I’m more deserving of a seat than them. In fact, I’ve given up my seat for pregnant women because I judged that they needed it more than me. Why does it have to be a disability for someone to deserve a seat? Someone might have pregnancy complications or have a sharp pain or feel weak from a virus or whatever. Sometimes those issues are in the moment causing more symptoms than a permanent disability would.

• Advertisement

If standing causes you physical pain and you want to be guaranteed a seat, leave work before rush hour, or if you can’t leave early find a nice cafe to sit in and wait until rush hour is over.

You aren’t special, you are pregnant. Millions of women have been pregnant before you, millions of women will be pregnant after you. Women have been pregnant up mountains, in jungles, in deserts, in war-zones, in arctic conditions.

So suck it up princess.

You're right they have but I think the problem here is that your attitude goes against basic human compassion and that's jarring for the rest of us. If you saw a pregnant woman or any person in fact say leaning against a wall trying to catch their breath would you walk on? If you saw a person who had fallen would you walk on?

Meh, let them take taxis.

Hi there. I’m on state benefits due to having terminal cancer. Can you point me in the direction of the money tree that will help me pay for all these taxis? Tanx luv.

Whoopsadoodles made the point already, it is not just about the pregnant lady. It is also about the baby she is carrying and keeping it safe. Being heavily pregnant throws your centre of gravity off balance and it can be difficult to stay balanced on public transport. Offer your seat to the mother for the baby's sake if not for hers.

I dunno, for me, it’s as much about the pregnant woman as her baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

You'd want to be some bollix not to give your seat to a pregnant lady.

End of.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Not always possible, especially outside Dublin or other big urban centres when there is one morning train or one morning bus and one in the evening.
    wrote:

Indeed they do. They also tend to die a lot more frequently due to adverse or unsafe conditions, usually along with the baby they are gestating. Thankfully the developed world recognises the risk pregnancy poses to a woman's life and health and have created healthcare and societal protections to reduce injury or death.

A baby that could weigh up to 10lbs. The placenta normally weighs about 1.5lbs, and the amniotic fluid between 1.5 and 2lbs. So on average a woman even with an average 7lb baby in there could be carrying around 11 or 12lbs. That's about 5kg or more.

Add in an increase in breast size, and they are generally aching or already producing milk so are painfully engorged. The prolactin hormone that produces milk also creates a benign tumour in the pituitary gland between the eyes at the base of the brain in about 10% of the population. In pregnancy this can grow to cause vision issues and head pain requiring surgery so needs to be monitored.

Morning sickness, and nausea does not go well with travelling and the smells of the Great Unwashed and transport fumes. Some women puke until they need to go on a drip. Some puke so much that they puke blood.

Ligaments between bones soften in anticipation of the birth. So hips, wrists, knees can all experience pain. Oh, and you generally aren't allowed more than paracetamol during pregnancy. You get a belt and crutches.

Some women get gestational diabetes. Some women become iron deficient. Some have had multiple miscarriages before this successful pregnancy and simply want to be careful and not exert themselves in case they lose this one too. Dental cavities are much more probable in pregnancy to the extent the NHS throws in free dental care to pregnant women. There's high blood pressure, placental abruption, I'm sure there's more that I've forgotten.

But fcuk em. They had sex and you didn't and they probably even enjoyed it. So suck it up princess indeed. I thought the attitude of the folk that ran the mother and baby homes had died out but I see it's alive and well on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,217 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Neyite wrote: »
    Not always possible, especially outside Dublin or other big urban centres when there is one morning train or one morning bus and one in the evening.

Indeed they do. They also tend to die a lot more frequently due to adverse or unsafe conditions, usually along with the baby they are gestating. Thankfully the developed world recognises the risk pregnancy poses to a woman's life and health and have created healthcare and societal protections to reduce injury or death.

A baby that could weigh up to 10lbs. The placenta normally weighs about 1.5lbs, and the amniotic fluid between 1.5 and 2lbs. So on average a woman even with an average 7lb baby in there could be carrying around 11 or 12lbs. That's about 5kg or more.

Add in an increase in breast size, and they are generally aching or already producing milk so are painfully engorged. The prolactin hormone that produces milk also creates a benign tumour in the pituitary gland between the eyes at the base of the brain in about 10% of the population. In pregnancy this can grow to cause vision issues and head pain requiring surgery so needs to be monitored.

Morning sickness, and nausea does not go well with travelling and the smells of the Great Unwashed and transport fumes. Some women puke until they need to go on a drip. Some puke so much that they puke blood.

Ligaments between bones soften in anticipation of the birth. So hips, wrists, knees can all experience pain. Oh, and you generally aren't allowed more than paracetamol during pregnancy. You get a belt and crutches.

Some women get gestational diabetes. Some women become iron deficient. Some have had multiple miscarriages before this successful pregnancy and simply want to be careful and not exert themselves in case they lose this one too. Dental cavities are much more probable in pregnancy to the extent the NHS throws in free dental care to pregnant women. There's high blood pressure, placental abruption, I'm sure there's more that I've forgotten.

But fcuk em. They had sex and you didn't and they probably even enjoyed it. So suck it up princess indeed. I thought the attitude of the folk that ran the mother and baby homes had died out but I see it's alive and well on this thread.

He has his seat and thats all that matters

TLDR the biology lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Hi there. I’m on state benefits due to having terminal cancer. Can you point me in the direction of the money tree that will help me pay for all these taxis? Tanx luv.

Are you pregnant?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

TLDR the biology lesson.

So predictable. Why would you give any sh!t about female biology unless it directly concerns you?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,217 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So predictable. Why would you give any sh!t about female biology unless it directly concerns you?

You did use a lot of bigly 'uge words.

I didn’t read it because I know all of the above. But what percentage of women does all of the above happen to? Maybe 2/3%, if even that many. So forgive me if I ignore it for the emotive nonsense it is. Not every woman is a damsel in distress.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,988 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

So suck it up princess.

can't be done, they have to travel when they travel. not their job to take taxis to suit you. give up your seat.

I didn’t read it because I know all of the above. But what percentage of women does all of the above happen to? Maybe 2/3%, if even that many. So forgive me if I ignore it for the emotive nonsense it is. Not every woman is a damsel in distress.

doesn't matter, give up your seat.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

em_cat wrote: »
    nobody stated it was.

No but mystery egg kept going on as if it were in the same category.

Try again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

There’s absolutely no point in debating with a cnut that is lacking the basic human decency gene. Absolutely none. That particular brand of cnutishism is incurable IME.

Are you pregnant?

I’m not, but I have a disability and there’s been times when I’ve judged pregnant women to be more in need of a seat than me. Yours was an asinine suggestion. I think I just need to keep reminding myself that it’s forum big talk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

"I'd give up my seat for anyone who looks like they need it". Oh wow look at all the Internet Heroes over here.

I love threads like this. People who genuinely would not give up their seat are a bit selfish for sure. People who are going out of their way to congratulate themselves and others on being better than the other group are so f-ing pathetic. Stop **** yourself into oblivion at the thought of being better than "those people" who you imagine won't give up their seat. :D

If you are pregnant and you want a seat then ask. Don't have such an inflated sense of entitlement that you think other people will even notice your existence.

Nobody cares about you or whatever abomination you are incubating inside your gross body. If you weren't ready for the consequences then you shouldn't have let some equally sad loser get you knocked up.

Good luck raising another human when you're not even capable of asking for a seat on public transport.

(OF COURSE it's all forum big talk. :D)

Bambi985 wrote: »
    There’s absolutely no point in debating with a cnut that is lacking the basic human decency gene. Absolutely none. That particular brand of cnutishism is incurable IME.

So now what? We all give you a pat on the back and a cookie?

You're such a good person. Amazing actually. Probably the best human who ever lived.

Bambi985 for President!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,988 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Saruhashi wrote: »
    "Nobody cares about you or whatever abomination you are incubating inside your gross body. If you weren't ready for the consequences then you shouldn't have let some equally sad loser get you knocked up.

what a horrible comment. we all came into the world the same way you are disrespecting. shame on you and show some respect.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

"I'd give up my seat for anyone who looks like they need it". Oh wow look at all the Internet Heroes over here.

I love threads like this. People who genuinely would not give up their seat are a bit selfish for sure. People who are going out of their way to congratulate themselves and others on being better than the other group are so f-ing pathetic. Stop **** yourself into oblivion at the thought of being better than "those people" who you imagine won't give up their seat. :D

If you are pregnant and you want a seat then ask. Don't have such an inflated sense of entitlement that you think other people will even notice your existence.

Nobody cares about you or whatever abomination you are incubating inside your gross body. If you weren't ready for the consequences then you shouldn't have let some equally sad loser get you knocked up.

Good luck raising another human when you're not even capable of asking for a seat on public transport.

I'm safe in the knowledge that I'm a better person than those who lack basic human compassion. The words you use in your post speak volumes, "..abomination you are incubating inside your gross body".
    What is that about? That anger?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Trekker09

I'm safe in the knowledge that I'm a better person than those who lack basic human compassion. The words you use in your post speak volumes, "..abomination you are incubating inside your gross body".

I think the last line indicates the intended irony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'd give it to a pregnant person or an elderly/injured person. Paying full price for an hour plus journey and standing so someone can sit down with a rake of kids? Nope.

Have you ever met anyone in your life who actually, genuinely, lacks basic human compassion?

I would say even if the answer is "yes" then it must be an incredibly rare event.

So I question the point in congratulating ourselves because upon seeing a person who is OBVIOUSLY struggling we would stand up and help them. It's pretty normal behavior.

I would guess there are many folks who just don't notice a pregnant lady on the bus or train. Depending on the stage of the pregnancy it may be even more difficult to notice.

It seems easier here to assume the worst in other people and then feel nice about ourselves because "I am better than those people".

I'm not angry. If you felt I was then you are wrong.

That's you assuming the worst in others though, isn't it?

It's the same with these badges. A grown adult woman can't ask for a seat on the train so she's going to wear one of these badges and assume that all other passengers are massive a-holes when she doesn't get to sit down.

Hm. Maybe if you're already assuming I'm a bad person I should just embrace it and have fun with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

"Dear mum nobody cares about you or whatever abomination you are incubating inside your gross body. If you weren't ready for the consequences then you shouldn't have let some equally sad loser get you knocked up.

Fixed your post

what a horrible comment. we all came into the world the same way you are disrespecting. shame on you and show some respect.

Why?

We've already decided that if a pregnant lady boards the train and nobody offers their seat then those people must be awful. Just the worst. Lacking compassion. Scumbags.

We've condemned them and that's that. Is that respectful?

I'm going to wear my little passive aggressive badge on the train and then whine on social media because nobody noticed me. That's not respect for your fellow people.

What would be respectful would be to politely ask an individual for their seat. If they say no then ask the next person.

• Advertisement

calfmuscle wrote: »

Dear mum nobody cares about you or whatever abomination you are incubating inside your gross body. If you weren't ready for the consequences then you shouldn't have let some equally sad loser get you knocked up.

Fixed your post

Hahahaha! Well done. :pac:

Advertisement