Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby On Board

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mondo123

I'm kinda saddened to read on this thread how ppl asked by pregnant ladies for their seats refused. I had a close friend this happened to and she ended up fainting on the train an having to be carried off.
    I know it's old fashioned but jeez there has to be some level of humanity left in society. I'm currently pregnant myself but gladly don't need public transport. Even pregnant now I would get up in a heartbeat for someone that I could see struggling to stand be they 17 or 77... life's not all about oneself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

OK, I get the fact that some people might have unseen disabilities, bad backs etc, and would be as deserving as a pregnant woman, but what I can't fathom is the logic in "well what about me and my condition" attitude, basically denying the validity of pregnant women to a seat. Do Irish Rail bin the whole project as, by this logic, it's discriminatory to people that aren't pregnant? Or would a better approach be for people to contact Irish Rail and recommend that they extend/re-word the badge to include a wider range of people.

Extend their bloody carriages you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

em_cat wrote: »
    I wonder how come no one at the NRH told me I could have a badge for being disabled? Are you referring the blue padge for parking?

I mentioned this whole pregnancy badge thing to an ailing, very old grandparent who literally survived the holocaust, tattooed arm and all and she had some very interesting things to say about it, none of which I can repeat as I would be banned.

I think a badge for people with hidden disabilities would also be a good idea if they felt unable to stand for long periods and would like one. I think it is currently being proposed for pregnant women because , as evidenced on this thread, people are more reluctant to offer seats to them as opposed to elderly or visibly disbaled people . What any of that has to do with your grandparents terrible experience I don't know

Extend their bloody carriages you mean?

Possibly, but thats not the fault of pregnant women

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Funnily enough, I don't believe a word of it

Which part specifically? And why don't you believe it?

If you mean you don't believe that I get up you would be wrong. Years ago I travelled on public transport on crutches for months and always now make an extra effort to look out for people who might need the seat more than me. Many times I had to ask people to give me a priority seat despite them doing their very best to pretend they couldn't see or hear me.

I am pregnant ATM but have no problems travelling. However if it does happen I will be wearing my badge and if necessary asking people to let me sit down.

I am not especially surprised you don't believe me btw. We all tend to seek out people similar to ourselves to spend our time with and then mistakenly believe they are representative of the population in general. So the females you know are probably c**t$.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Saruhashi wrote: »
    Yes, and when I'm old and sick and I need a seat on the train or bus I will ask politely and if I get a "no" then I will ask the next person.

Instead of standing around wearing my pathetic little badge and hoping that someone will notice me.

You could have just said "excuse me, I'm struggling a bit here and I'm pregnant could I please take your seat". I reckon most people would be agreeable to that.

Depending on which door you use on the luas, and how busy it is there's a chance that you'd only even be spotted by a couple of people who are sitting in seats.

Most people I see on public transport have their attention on their phones or other distractions. What are you doing? Standing around waiting to be noticed?

Did you at least try to get attention? Do you sigh really loudly and talk to yourself saying "just me and my badge here, standing around all day, punished for the crime of having a child"? :pac:

If you ever asked me for my seat I'd gladly oblige. No problem whatsoever.

Otherwise, I'll be looking at my phone or reading my book, trying to avoid eye contact with the other passengers.

There's no point standing around hoping to be noticed and then giving out because nobody gave you a seat. You want a seat? Ask politely.

"Oh no but I might get a rude answer". Well, if proabbly less than 1% chance of a rude answer is enough to make you choose to endure extreme pain then that's on you too.

She is still free to ask if someone doesn't get up. But if she is wearing the badge someone might offer who actually doesn't mind.

.....it just seems people are making excuses for bad manners and ****e behaviour really

Trekker09 wrote: »
    .....it just seems people are making excuses for bad manners and ****e behaviour really

Like calling people ***** on a message board over actual imaginary behaviour

Lampudo wrote: »
    You are pregnant, not disabled. Plenty of heavily pregnant women can squat 80kg plus in the gym.

Really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Lampudo wrote: »
    You are pregnant, not disabled. Plenty of heavily pregnant women can squat 80kg plus in the gym.

And plenty of heavily pregnant women have SPD and find walking or standing extremely painful. Probably a hell of a lot more than can squat 80kg in the gym to be fair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Really?

Yeh. Pregnancy is a lifestyle choice, not an unfortunate infirmity.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

doesn't matter, give up your seat.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

doesn't matter, give up your seat.

Thats a pretty offensive discriminatory attitude to have towards the non-pregnant.

I know that, fortunately my wife and I have 2 kids. I was surprised that weight lifting was OK for heavily pregnant women as my wife nearly lost our 2nd child while lifting a 25kg bag of flour (she's a baker)

Thats a pretty offensive discriminatory attitude to have towards the non-pregnant.

Nope, it's showing empathy and manners for somebody that could more than likely do with the seat more than you can

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I think a badge for people with hidden disabilities would also be a good idea if they felt unable to stand for long periods and would like one. I think it is currently being proposed for pregnant women because , as evidenced on this thread, people are more reluctant to offer seats to them as opposed to elderly or visibly disbaled people . What any of that has to do with your grandparents terrible experience I don't know

Because she was made to wear a yellow Star of David as a ‘badge’ of her being a Jew. It made sense to me bc they are both yellow.

I think this whole baby on board badge thing is bloody ridiculous and expectant mums should get over it & stop being miffed if people can’t immediately tell. If you have a medical condition that is worse bc of the pregnancy then fine ask for a seat politely & you’ll likely get one. No drama needed.

Being pregnant is not the same as having a disability, hidden or not.

nobody stated it was.

Because she was made to wear a yellow Star of David as a ‘badge’ of her being a Jew. It made sense to me bc they are both yellow.

I think this whole baby on board badge thing is bloody ridiculous and expectant mums should get over it & stop being miffed if people can’t immediately tell. If you have a medical condition that is worse bc of the pregnancy then fine ask for a seat politely & you’ll likely get one. No drama needed.

Why are people fixating on a supposed link between pregnancy and disability when nobody has claimed there is one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Allinall

Offensive to who?

What’s wrong with that particular discrimination?

• Advertisement

nobody stated it was.

No but mystery egg kept going on as if it were in the same category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I wonder would “No” badges or “I don’t care if you have a Baby on Board” badges would sell well. Would stop the awkwardness of having to tell up the pole ladies that you aren’t getting up.

Why are people fixating on a supposed link between pregnancy and disability when nobody has claimed there is one?

Because some posters began lumping pregancy in the same category, as sick, elderly or disabled.

Yes, sometimes medical issues arising as a result of or during the pregnancy can warrant being considered as an entitlement to use the priority seating areas, but the onus is on the pregnant woman to ask, not get miffed bc people don’t notice & stop taking it personally if the person refuses or is too ignorant to notice.

And yes it’s sad that today we are all so self-absorbed that it takes a yellow badge to get over the ‘awkwardness’ of asking for a seat on public transport.

I do my best to stay aware of my surroundings while in public, sometimes I offer my seat to someone who looks like they may need it more than me, but I don’t need a bloody yellow badge to remind me to have some manners, be aware or considerate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

How is it fair that a person has bought a seat on a transport system to surrender that seat to someone else and the other users get away with sitting on their seats?

Would you give up something you have just bought to a complete stranger especially in an age of equal rights and strident anti male climate being put up without protest or defence in most sections of public opinion and media.

We see RTE's recent "solution" to differences in News Anchors pay....make all the new ones female, probably pay them equal with no hassle and jobs done. No pesky expensive men to worry about anymore.

Work life is hard enough for most men nowadays than having them stand all the way on a bus to work. They probably have to do all the heavy lifting in the office when they get there as it is an expectation of a gentleman to put his back out to save the ladies from such a risk.

Until recently the max weight allowed to be carried by men was 50 kg while women were restricted to 20 kg. It has only recently been equalised.

Thank God most men drive to work or work in places where all day parking is available.

As I said before the public transport companies need to supply more seats for their passengers. It might even be a safety issue at this stage like the insistence on all seater stadiums at football matches.

Things such as the LUAS for a few stops is not too bad but a trip like Tallaght to City Centre or the outer suburbs can take more than an hour and is ridiculous.
    Would you stand on a trip all the way to Athlone?? Timewise this is what is being asked off some unlucky passengers on Dublin Bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

If you’re heavily pregnant, elderly or obviously injured or ill then there is no question but you should be given a seat.

I don’t think you can judge anyone too harshly though if the woman is big and looks like she could just as easily be overweight or if the injury/illness isn’t obvious.

doolox wrote: »
    How is it fair that a person has bought a seat on a transport system to surrender that seat to someone else and the other users get away with sitting on their seats?

unless you reserve a seat you actually haven't bought a seat. one actually isn't entitled to a seat on public transport at all, even a reserved seat can't be guaranteed. you technically pay to travel only. i believe it is in the terms of travel.
    Thank God most men drive to work or work in places where all day parking is available.

oh no, not thank god at all. driving in the cities is a huge burdin on both the tax payer and public transport users. it's not sustainible long term and therefore a congestion charge should be implemented in the cities and it should be high.
    As I said before the public transport companies need to supply more seats for their passengers. It might even be a safety issue at this stage like the insistence on all seater stadiums at football matches.

there is never going to be a seat for everybody. no suburban or urban public transport company to my knowledge has ever achieved a full seat for everyone service.
    Things such as the LUAS for a few stops is not too bad but a trip like Tallaght to City Centre or the outer suburbs can take more than an hour and is ridiculous.
    Would you stand on a trip all the way to Athlone?? Timewise this is what is being asked off some unlucky passengers on Dublin Bus.

and all over the world. standing on urban and suburban services is a world wide problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dutybelt

Would you give up something you have just bought to a complete stranger especially in an age of equal rights and strident anti male climate being put up without protest or defence in most sections of public opinion and media.

We see RTE's recent "solution" to differences in News Anchors pay....make all the new ones female, probably pay them equal with no hassle and jobs done. No pesky expensive men to worry about anymore.

Work life is hard enough for most men nowadays than having them stand all the way on a bus to work. They probably have to do all the heavy lifting in the office when they get there as it is an expectation of a gentleman to put his back out to save the ladies from such a risk.

Until recently the max weight allowed to be carried by men was 50 kg while women were restricted to 20 kg. It has only recently been equalised.

It's not about about things being fair, it's about common courtesy and looking out for a fellow human being. If you're a well bodied male or a female, especially if you're young, it makes sense to give up your seat to someone who struggles to stand on their feet and feel pain from doing so etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Dutybelt wrote: »
    It's not about about things being fair, it's about common courtesy and looking out for a fellow human being. If you're a well bodied male or a female, especially if you're young, it makes sense to give up your seat to someone who struggles to stand on their feet and feel pain from doing so etc...

Meh, let them take taxis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

I am shocked by some people's responses here. Having recently had a baby I can say I would always offer my seat to an obviously pregnant lady. I, personally didn't have to take public transport very often when I was expecting. I also stood and refused seats that were offered to me a lot of the time- but there are days you really need a seat. And on those occasions I would have been eternally grateful for someone if they offered their seat to me. I also never expected someone to give up their seat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Whoopsadoodles made the point already, it is not just about the pregnant lady. It is also about the baby she is carrying and keeping it safe. Being heavily pregnant throws your centre of gravity off balance and it can be difficult to stay balanced on public transport. Offer your seat to the mother for the baby's sake if not for hers.

Advertisement