Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sea of Thieves

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

What is the official release date for this game? I presume there will be an open Beta.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ZiabR wrote: »
    What is the official release date for this game? I presume there will be an open Beta.

I think it's the 20th of March or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Managed to get 13 chests at once last night. Was pretty fun and a bit worrying when heading for the Outpost. Constantly scanning the horizon and ready to run like **** at first sight of a sail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I love how if you drink too much you can vomit all over your friends :D

You can scoop it up in your bucket and toss it over someone as a weapon.

Ive tried playing solo but I cannot get onto a server :(
    Solo is solid, very peaceful sailing the seas but nerve wracking because no one is watching your back. You have to survive by being sneaky.

There's no shame in running like hell from any shops you come across

• Advertisement

ZiabR wrote: »
    Seems alot of people are not happy with how the launch of this Beta was handled. From reading, I find it hard not to agree with the general consensus. The amount of people that have had issues, many of them still not being able to play the game is worrying.

Before you jump down my throat, let me point out that this was one of the MAJOR games at E3 and it is an in-house Microsoft game. If there was ever a game that they needed to go right, it would be Sea of Thieves.

Communication from the devs has been very very poor, Twitter is overloaded with people having problems and none of them are being addressed. You would expect that with a closed beta as big as this Microsoft would have people working on this and supporting it via social media all night long. Instead the devs openly posted on Twitter that they were off to bed for the night while thousands of paying customers were left in the dark. Madness.

The issues may well be minor but when you are working on a product as big as this and you are presenting it to your customers for the first time, you need to make sure everything is on point and working. Also, for this to be Microsoft’s first big exclusive (not timed) you would expect that there would be particular emphasis on getting it right and supporting the future player base.

It looks great, and a lot of fun but it’s not working for me and a number of my xbox live friends.

We are not off to a good start :(

Beta is a key part of that comment. It's not a demo or a trial and it's not the final game. But bloody close to it though.

They are using this beta for stress testing server scalability - there are loads of more people on these sessions than there were on the Technical Alpha.

How are you and your friends getting the Beta? Pre-order bonus, black dog pack or were you in the alpha? The technical alpha just updated to the latest build and went smoothly enough - one or two 'click retry' messages across the games I've been trying to join.

The things they learn and fix here will make the launch smoother.

If they have these issues at launch then we can throw the book at them.

The experience so far is a load of craic. You can be riddling and plundering the high seas and suddenly stop to notice how breath taking the environment is - on the X especially - sunsets and suddenly you can see islands or ships lights on the horizon. Friend or foe? Run and hide or is it a new target?

Great potential - I hope they have a few more missions or surprises up their sleeves for launch to keep it fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭erkifino

Korvanica wrote: »
    Managed to get 13 chests at once last night. Was pretty fun and a bit worrying when heading for the Outpost. Constantly scanning the horizon and ready to run like **** at first sight of a sail.

Not just sails on the horizon. Some people stay out of sight on the island near where you sell the gold. They shoot you while you attempt to sell and steal it from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

What's the max amount of players you can have in a squad or whatever?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

What's the max amount of players you can have in a squad or whatever?

Four Players is the max

Playing randomers is pretty crap. A lot of people quitting. Also got locked in the brig for no reason. After 5 mins I had to quit. What's the point of the brig? To get trolled by your own crew.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

erkifino wrote: »
    Playing randomers is pretty crap. A lot of people quitting. Also got locked in the brig for no reason. After 5 mins I had to quit. What's the point of the brig? To get trolled by your own crew.

Seems so, I had hoped you could use it for enemies.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Seems so, I had hoped you could use it for enemies.

I can see the point of it when it comes to the cowboys who take the ship for a spin while the rest of the crew are on an island. Still though it may as well because vote to kick someone.

There doesn't seem to be much to the game. Is there any progression (ship, equipment or weapon upgrades)? What is going to keep people coming back once the novelty has worn off?

I suspect this will be an attempt of a game as a service that Spencer has talked about. No beginning, middle or end to the game. A world that can be constantly improved and evolved ala minecraft. And no doubt...the dreaded micro transactions as revenue.

There doesn't seem to be much to the game. Is there any progression (ship, equipment or weapon upgrades)? What is going to keep people coming back once the novelty has worn off?

I suspect this will be an attempt of a game as a service that Spencer has talked about. No beginning, middle or end to the game. A world that can be constantly improved and evolved ala minecraft. And no doubt...the dreaded micro transactions as revenue.

That's a concern that many have had who have been playing for a while. The currently announced progression system is with the three factions - gold hoarders, traders and the whatchamacallits who want occult stuff. Complete quests for them, warm money, rotation titles and gear.

I believe that there don't be weapon upgrades available so everyone is on a more or less even ground on battle (although the sniper rifle was new with the beta).

For depth, there seem to be a lot of empty buildings on the outposts - if I were a betting man, I'd suspect that we may see more NPCs in there.

As for microtransactions, they may well appear, but wif they do they are likely to follow the Team Fortress 2 model: Hats, etc. You can buy It if you want but it won't give you an advantage.

The biggest concern will be how they will handle griefing - hanging out at a village to nick gold about to be handed in, putting your crew into the brig 'for the craic' and so on.

The game does feel quite empty at times (in the beta at least) but it is a lot of fun when you run into other ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

Finally managed to get into a game solo last night.
    So have things changed cause I didnt have any of the gold I had built up from the previous games and I didnt start with a map either so had no idea what to do in terms of finding treasure.
    I ended up sailing around and shooing at other players

Finally managed to get into a game solo last night.
    So have things changed cause I didnt have any of the gold I had built up from the previous games and I didnt start with a map either so had no idea what to do in terms of finding treasure.
    I ended up sailing around and shooing at other players

Theres an npc in a tent where you spawn that you can buy treasure maps off, theres a free one to get you started.

Yeah, the goldie lookin guy at the outpost has the free map.

The game/levels were reset but we're all hoping as it's the beta it's about ironing out the mechanics. It has to be fleshed out as it's not, currently, worth it's full price.

Don't forget to get your map, get to the ship, select a voyage then vote for a voyage. Ringing that bell and shooting the voyage table trying to get people's attention so we can cast off an adventure is annoying... Partly my own mic-less self's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

The biggest concern will be how they will handle griefing - hanging out at a village to nick gold about to be handed in

This is how they'll hopefully handle it:

You spend ages on a voyage and visit many places digging up treasure, you sail straight up to an outpost and jump onto it with your shiny new chest to get that delicious loot. You get gunned down and a ****ing PIRATE STEALS YOUR GOLD.

And they (the devs) change nothing and do nothing to help you, Tough ****. This is a game about pirates.

No safe zones. No guaranteed rewards.
    putting your crew into the brig 'for the craic' and so on.

this is an issue though, when a group of 3 dont want a 4th theres nothing you can do but quit since theyll leave you in there.

I played a bit of the Alpha and checked this out last night, doesn't seem to have been a whole lot changed or added. Definitely feels very shallow, once the novelty wore off I was left asking myself whats the point :confused:

If it released like this I wouldn't be prepared to stick around and wait while they update it etc. every few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

On Xbox there is a Field of View slider in the video settings lads, up it to the max.

A tip for selling your gold chests. Sail around the island first to make sure there is no ship docked there and be suspicious if one seems close by.

Trying to work out the paces?
    Select your compass and hold the right trigger down and move forward. Each vibration is a pace.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Korvanica wrote: »
    This is how they'll hopefully handle it:

You spend ages on a voyage and visit many places digging up treasure, you sail straight up to an outpost and jump onto it with your shiny new chest to get that delicious loot. You get gunned down and a ****ing PIRATE STEALS YOUR GOLD.

And they (the devs) change nothing and do nothing to help you, Tough ****. This is a game about pirates.

No safe zones. No guaranteed rewards.

this is an issue though, when a group of 3 dont want a 4th theres nothing you can do but quit since theyll leave you in there.

Yea but it means the most effective way to get loot is to just never bother going on a ship and just camp on outposts.

Spent about 15 mins trying to find a game last night. Finally got into one. Invited to group chat and told I had two options. 1.Quit or 2. Get sent to the brig. If I wasn't waiting so long I probably would've quit. Sat in the brig playing shanties for maybe 10 minutes. They did sell their chests in that time so at least I got paid...

awec wrote: »
    Yea but it means the most effective way to get loot is to just never bother going on a ship and just camp on outposts.
    solos are screwed, in that case, but a 4-man crew could bring in the gold like the Securicor van going to the bank with an armed guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Don't dock too close to land. Bring a crap chest first. If there is a trap you'll know when you go to sell it. If you die you spawn on your ship. If no one is there when you sell the first chest go back and bring the ship a bit closer and start offloading the most expensive chests first.

Had fun taking a ship earlier that was pursing us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

He's definitely not an impartial source, but Jez Corden is at Rare right now for a press event to show off the full game, and tweeted:
    Any concerns I had about Sea of Thieves are gone. This will be 2018's PUBG.

Bit optimistic probably, but reassuring after the moaning from the beta

I for one cannot wait for this game to release. It is serious fun.

Think it will be a day one purchase for me.

I just bought 7 months Game Pass. I am already ready for the launch!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭gmg678

I have played since the Alpha and I know there is more things to be added but I found the beta incredibly boring. Even playing with friends who were playing it for the first time. I will pick up game pass and get it that way. I just hope that there long term game plan works out.

• Advertisement

gmg678 wrote: »
    I have played since the Alpha and I know there is more things to be added but I found the beta incredibly boring. Even playing with friends who were playing it for the first time. I will pick up game pass and get it that way. I just hope that there long term game plan works out.

There is so much more to come from this game. It is going to be a massive success I think.

Installing a Harpoon gun onto my ship so I can hunt Moby Dick and The Kraken with other ships in global events. Upgrading and customising my ship and character so I stand out from the rest. Working with the Gold Hoarders Trading Company, The Merchants Alliance and The Order of Souls.

The game is a hell of alot of fun with a party of friends.

Not to mention the graphics. HDR on this game is breathtaking, the sea, sky and weather is just unreal. Easily the best I have seen in any game I have played to date.

Advertisement