Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurls what shape size etc

Options
  • 23-01-2018 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭

Hi,

Playing for 20 years but never learned or looked to learn what hurl style is best suited for different situations.

I always use a heavy hurl that has a rounder shape along the handle very little bend throughout the hurl. don't know why just always have since i was a child

Just wonder the more flexibility in the hurl the easier to take sideline cuts, over pick ups etc or is a heavy hurl best suited for those who like the clash of the ash.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

leestone wrote: »
    Hi,

Playing for 20 years but never learned or looked to learn what hurl style is best suited for different situations.

I always use a heavy hurl that has a rounder shape along the handle very little bend throughout the hurl. don't know why just always have since i was a child

Just wonder the more flexibility in the hurl the easier to take sideline cuts, over pick ups etc or is a heavy hurl best suited for those who like the clash of the ash.

Not sure if I can advise you but from what I see outfield players are now playing with the boss as big as goalkeepers, or at least a keeper of 20 years ago. I understand there is a limit on the size of the boss of a hurl but seems it keeps getting bigger or its not being implemented. I would have thought that the lighter the boss the more flexibility but from what Im seeing the skills have changed and control is more important now than flexibility. Big boss seems to be the way to go! As for clash of the ash, that was when they had small boss and pulled like dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭big_drive

The biggest change has been length used. 15 years ago around 36 inch was standard, now it’s more like 34”

Bubbles o Dwyer from Tipp uses a 33” hurley, but he can still hit frees from over 80 metres

Advertisement