Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I am mutant :-)

Options
  • 20-01-2018 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Absolutely everybody around me has got this dose of flue thats going around. Approx 10 people men, women and children.
    All very sick and I am in great form.
    It started 2 weeks back and some are still sick.
    Looks like I am getting off without catching it.
    What makes me different ? Why have I not caught it ?
    Is it genetics or something else.
    Very curious.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Everyone is a mutant thanks to evolution and the way genes work.

You've got 23 pairs of chromosomes. A missing gene on one can be replaced by one on the other pair. For things like eye colour you have to miss the genes on both chromosomes in order to get blue eyes.

If you are Irish there's a 1 in 19 chance you have the defective gene that causes cystic fibrosis.

If you haven't gotten the flu then you may just be lucky. Or haven't gotten it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Maybe you're dead, you just don't know it......

The only thing you are truly sure of is that you exist as you are a conscious being. But everything else could be a dream, not only the concept of flu but the concept of time and being human.

Why are you so confident this is happening?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

This went very red pill / blue pill very quickly.

Maybe your immune system has been challenged by it before so is better able to deal with it, or as you said, something about you is different and this strain just doesn't affect you as badly.

This said, the others could be right, read back through the last few posts. Is there anything there you didn't already know? Is the news new/different or does it seem like it is just a rehash of old items? Are there people in power who you struggle to believe either got there or remain there? Try going somewhere you haven't been before, does something stop you or does it look familiar as if you have made it up from a collection of other memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

You must be patient 0. You have it and are making everyone else sick probably should stay in bed until no one else is sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Visconti

You must be patient 0. You have it and are making everyone else sick probably should stay in bed until no one else is sick.

If I had a government Job I would.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Visconti wrote: »
    If I had a government Job I would.

Alas I have a government job and they don't actually allow that anymore. As they say, the three Ts. If you timekeeping, thumping and thieving. Fail at the first or commit the others, and its dismissal time.

On a more serious note, what else separates you from the others, are you related, have you travelled more than them, are you generally fitter???

The less interesting answer is that it is just pure luck, whatever triggered there issues, if all the same thing, just didn't get to you, even if it really should have.

Advertisement