Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heavyweight Boxing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

I 'confirmed' this over a week ago :p. See discussion above.
    AJ for me
    ...Haha...So you did ðŸ˜ðŸ˜...Impressive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Owta Control

Joshua will take Parker apart... Parker has the height and weight of a proper heavyweight... but none of the attacking skills to trouble Joshua...if it gets to the 6th round I'll be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I think Parker is a bit like Breazele who can hit back. I think he will be durable and I expect him to get through once or twice. I don't think AJ takes a shot well but if he can do that then he will have far too much power. AJ 7-9 ko after some hairy moments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

I'm lucky enough to be visiting New York at the beginning of March and I'd like to go see the Wilder fight but on the same night in Madison Square Garden Kovalev and Bivol are both fighting. Decisions Decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I reckon AJ will find Parker's chin early enough. Ring size will be important for Parker. Smallish ring will see this end early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

ThunderCat wrote:
    I'm lucky enough to be visiting New York at the beginning of March and I'd like to go see the Wilder fight but on the same night in Madison Square Garden Kovalev and Bivol are both fighting. Decisions Decisions.

I'd be picking Wilder - Ortiz ten times out of ten personally. Proper competitive, hard to call heavyweight title fights don't come around every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

walshb wrote:
    I reckon AJ will find Parker's chin early enough. Ring size will be important for Parker. Smallish ring will see this end early.

If Parker turns up out of shape like his last few fights he's getting banged out within 6. If he's back in shape like before and able to use his legs and those really fast combinations I think he's a live underdog.

Joshua being priced at 1/20 for this seems way too wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Morrison J wrote: »
    I'd be picking Wilder - Ortiz ten times out of ten personally. Proper competitive, hard to call heavyweight title fights don't come around every day.

Thanks for that, I think that may be my preference too. I could always try and see the weigh in for the Kovalev fight the day before anyway.

If Parker turns up out of shape like his last few fights he's getting banged out within 6. If he's back in shape like before and able to use his legs and those really fast combinations I think he's a live underdog.

He does put together lovely combinations. Two things: has he the POP to really hurt or discourage AJ, and has he the chin to survive clean AJ shots?

I am betting no on both...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Owta Control

walshb wrote: »
    He does out together lovely combinations. Two thongs....has he the POP to really hurt or discourage AJ, and has he the chin to survive clean AJ shots?

I am betting no on both...

If he shows up wearing 2 thongs I'd say AJ will keep him upright for 10 rounds for the laugh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

In this day and age why is this not standardized? Surely there should just be one size?

walshb wrote:

I agree with that. He's not a pushover but I think if he was serious about it he would have stepped up in class and then fought AJ. This is starting to look to me like a payday hunt. I hope I'm wrong about that. Either way he's set up for life I hope he gives it a real go.

In this day and age why is this not standardized? Surely there should just be one size?

Been that way for eternity.. always wiggle room in pro boxing..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I agree with that. He's not a pushover but I think if he was serious about it he would have stepped up in class and then fought AJ. This is starting to look to me like a payday hunt. I hope I'm wrong about that. Either way he's set up for life I hope he gives it a real go.

Klitschko aside, who has AJ fought that's so much better than Parker? He's good some good names on his CV - Andy Ruiz, Carlos Takam, Hughie Fury, Dimitrenko. He hasn't looked amazing in all of those fights but they're some good names by todays standards.

Fighting someone like Cojanu so recently doesn't look great, but he was a late replacement for Fury wasn't he? Hardly Parkers fault.

Yea I guess you make a fair point there. Other than Wlad (41) AJ has very little on his record. Whyte is the level of chisora who was always hopelessly outclassed at world level.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,924 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Povetkin vs Price added to the Joshua Card.
    Should be fun while it lasts but Povetkin is very durable so I see Price gassing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Should be fun while it lasts but Povetkin is very durable so I see Price gassing again.

Povetkin being billed for Joshua's next fight then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Id be amazed if it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 20,518 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Wlad went into that fight untouchable and TF shut him out. His boxing is about winning not entertaining.
    The Fury style is to smother and slither. They do it well.

What about the style where you make contact with things called punches and actually hit the opponent? Can you not try that form of a shut out?
    Boxing is about winning, Its clever to approach a fight in a way that give you the best chance to do so ,
    Fury won and done it untouched i'm sure he was more than delighted to do it that way,
    I can never understand people moaning about styles,
    He not going to go in and get his lights turned off just to keep you happy is he,
     Fury knows the rules set and knows how to win by it  , if the other fighter doesn't like that its there job to finds a way to stop him if they can't then hard luck ,

Boxing is about winning, Its clever to approach a fight in a way that give you the best chance to do so ,
    Fury won and done it untouched i'm sure he was more than delighted to do it that way,
    He not going to go in and get his lights turned off just to keep you happy is he,
     Fury knows the rules set and knows how to win by it  , if the other fighter doesn't like that its there job to finds a way to stop him if they can't then hard luck ,

That's just it

This nonsense being spouted of Fury's dominance in schooling Wlad....It just did not happen...

Fury done it untouched? And so did Wlad.....both men barely touched each other for 12 rds. That is my point. Not styles, not hitting without getting hit etc....

BOTH men were IMO extremely poor, with neither telling me that they won the fight. There was no bloody fight....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,518 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

That's just it

This nonsense being spouted of Fury's dominance in schooling Wlad....It just did not happen...

Fury done it untouched? And so did Wlad.....both men barely touched each other for 12 rds. That is my point. Not styles, not hitting without getting hit etc....

BOTH men were IMO extremely poor, with neither telling me that they won the fight. There was no bloody fight....

That's just it

I think your being unfair on Fu

That's just it

BOTH men were IMO extremely poor, with neither telling me that they won the fight. There was no bloody fight..

I think your being unfair but i think most watching could see that Fury won it, He did so in borning fashion but he did enough to win, The fight was on his terms weather you liked it or not ,
    People forget before that fight no one could find a way to beat Wlad and Tyson did and in Germany ,
    Aj got floored by a 41 yearold who lost his previous fight 2 year earlier ,Sky try make out like it was some kind of impossible feat Aj pulled off,
    To date AJ's most dangerous fight was against Whyte (doesn't say much)  , Wlad was done by the time they fought , 

I'm being honest about BOTH.

Wlad was as bad as Fury!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Urindanger

What's Parker's chin like anyone know? If he's got those Samoan concrete block head genes like David Tua it could be an interesting fight. If Parker's chin holds up and he's trained for the long game he has a good chance I reckon. He's got deceptively fast hands as well.

Urindanger wrote: »
    What's Parker's chin like anyone know? If he's got those Samoan concrete block head genes like David Tua it could be an interesting fight. If Parker's chin holds up and he's trained for the long game he has a good chance I reckon. He's got deceptively fast hands as well.

Good decent chin and it will definitely make it interesting. Parker has very decent and fluid punching....not wow power, but sometimes wow power is not needed to hurt or even KO a bigger man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Danye

Good decent chin and it will definitely make it interesting. Parker has very decent and fluid punching....not wow power, but sometimes wow power is not needed to hurt or even KO a bigger man.

I don’t think you would need wow power to hurt AJ. I think he has a suspect chin. In his Parker fight I hope to see an improvement from him in terms of movement. I think he’s often stationery and there to be hit easily. He might be over reliant on his power and when he can’t get someone out of there he looks very one demensional.

As for Fury, I’m sick to death of hearing about him. He’s embarrassing. Put up, or shut up. Living off a victory over a poor opponent in Klitschko. Apart from that, he’s not beaten anybody above domestic European level!

Fury is non stop on social media talking a great fight vs. AJ. A fight he knows probably will never happen because he may not even get back into any kind of shape. His infatuation with that 3 year old pathetic display against Wlad is nauseating. Other than Wlad he has beaten nobody...

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Visconti

Fury is non stop on social media talking a great fight vs. AJ. A fight he knows probably will never happen because he may not even get back into any kind of shape. His infatuation with that 3 year old pathetic display against Wlad is nauseating. Other than Wlad he has beaten nobody...

He has beaten EVERYONE put in front of him all the way to the world championship.
    The Klit was not in his prime but either was tyson when lewis beat him you can only beat the man in front of you and thats what fury does.
    Aj is a handy fight for him. Parker is a handy one too.
    Wilder would be interesting.
    Hope fury comes back in shape and takes his belt back.

AJ is a handy fight for Fury?.....wtf!

Yes, handy until AJ hits him...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Visconti wrote: »
    He has beaten EVERYONE put in front of him all the way to the world championship.
    The Klit was not in his prime but either was tyson when lewis beat him you can only beat the man in front of you and thats what fury does.
    Aj is a handy fight for him. Parker is a handy one too.
    Wilder would be interesting.
    Hope fury comes back in shape and takes his belt back.

You do realise the fury camp were carefully picking their opponents right up until Tyson came into line to fight wlad, also when you look at his record there's a curious amount of bang average sub 6ft4" heavies who lacked speed and power but that's for another discussion.

If fury had taken a true face all comers stance then he'd have wins over the likes of povetkin, wach, Ortiz , pulev etc. These were all big names and decent opponents who would have jumped at the chance for a big paying fight in the UK and they were generally all in good form when Fury's proposed fight with haye was falling through, to which they would have been big name alternatives but you'll not see any of them on his record.

There's nothing wrong with that, that's how modern boxing is and shur he got his win over the champ so I'm sure it doesn't bother him in the slightest.

But let's not lose touch with reality here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Danye

You do realise the fury camp were carefully picking their opponents right up until Tyson came into line to fight wlad, also when you look at his record there's a curious amount of bang average sub 6ft4" heavies who lacked speed and power but that's for another discussion.

If fury had taken a true face all comers stance then he'd have wins over the likes of povetkin, wach, Ortiz , pulev etc. These were all big names and decent opponents who would have jumped at the chance for a big paying fight in the UK and they were generally all in good form when Fury's proposed fight with haye was falling through, to which they would have been big name alternatives but you'll not see any of them on his record.

There's nothing wrong with that, that's how modern boxing is and shur he got his win over the champ so I'm sure it doesn't bother him in the slightest.

But let's not lose touch with reality here...

Excellent post.

Advertisement