Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A suugestion

Options
  • 18-01-2018 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭

I was just wondering if it would be possible to divide up the individual soap treads into Spoiler threads and general chat threads.

I know there are people who want to know what happens before they watch the episode of a particular soap and there are magazines out there which tells them everything they want to know.

I don't understand that logic. If i find out what's going to happen, i lose interest because i know what happens so what's the point? But i get that people like to know.

Even so, when there's spoilers put in the thread and they're hidden so you can't read them, the spoiler content is talked about in other posts to the extent that you know what the hidden spoiler post was all about in the first place.

I genuinely enjoy the general chat with particular soaps as they craic me up, but i find myself skipping pages to avoid the posts informing me of how particular storylines pan out.

So could there be a spoiler thread for a soap for people who want to know what they're about to watch before they watch it and another thread for people who solely want to discuss what's already been shown?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

I'd imagine it would be very hard to stop conversation slipping into spoilers though....
    I could get the appeal with a separate spoiler thread but the regular one would be fairly restricted then and would probably die a death.
    So you could talk about the soap past and present but not future?
    And then what exactly would present be?
    Up to last night's only?
    And are people then prevented from saying "well, I heard ... Is gonna happen".
    Would that mean that people can't speculate either?
    I think the thread wouldn't servive without a bit of speculation. I could see conversation very easily slipping into "well, I saw on a magazine" etc.
    Just way to hard to police..
    I think the only thing that can be done is to hide the spoilers.
    With regards the attraction with spoilers...
    Soaps are on these days almost daily. There are plenty of crappy episodes (esp lately). I watch them when I can but the world doesn't end if I miss em.
    Spoilers encourage me to take the time to watch an episode. Also, when I hear an interesting story line is coming up I know it's worth my investment and time. I enjoy seeing how it will be acted out. The dialogue that will be used etc.. I know the Pride & Prejudice story, for example, but I still watched the remake to see someone elses "vision", so to speak.
    Each to their own though, obviously!

Advertisement