Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Gaelic Football management

Options
  • 17-01-2018 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, just looking for any tips for taking on your first GAA team. I am just finished playing and have, with another man, taken on managing our local team.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Backinline wrote: »
    Hi, just looking for any tips for taking on your first GAA team. I am just finished playing and have, with another man, taken on managing our local team.

Keep the head down and pout in the hard yards and hopefully you might be considered for the Hurling job if things go well :D:D

But seriously, need more info - Juvenile or Adults and grade for a start?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Backinline

danganabu wrote: »
    Keep the head down and pout in the hard yards and hopefully you might be considered for the Hurling job if things go well :D:D

But seriously, need more info - Juvenile or Adults and grade for a start?
    We are Intermediate club that had a strong senior tradition until 2 years ago. Being a physio and SnC qualified I would have good idea of field prep. Maybe some tips on off field and how to manage players etc.
    Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

We are Intermediate club that had a strong senior tradition until 2 years ago. Being a physio and SnC qualified I would have good idea of field prep. Maybe some tips on off field and how to manage players etc.
    Thank you.

Ah ok, to be honest most of my advice was going to be in the area of training and drills and the importance of variety and using 'guest' coaches ocassionaly.

Player management is a very tricky area, the most important thing to remember, and it's a trap that alot of managers fall into, is that each panel is made up of a big variety of personalities. The old traditional approach of managaing through fear will no longer work. Some guys within the group will need an arm around the shoulder, some will need a good bollocking and others will need to be brought out of their shells.

I think in that regard its why alot teams now go on training weekends and/or bonding sessions, its important to get to know the personalities of your players. With the increased availability of other sports like Rugby and Soccer its also hugely important that players actually enjoy the experience and feel like they are appreciated and rewarded.

Oh and all players hate cliches and waffle, some managers tend to talk down to players, always remember that they are adults and if you treat them as such the vast vast majority will behave like adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Do the foundation and award 1 and award 1 adult courses that are being offered by the gaa around the country at the moment.

It's great meeting other coaches and managers, getting a bucketful of ideas on drills and keeping the interest up from them and the gaa, as well as the up to date gaa training methodology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

look at and assess the players available, what are they weakest at?

try and improve basic skills in every session eg using both sides of body
    come up with a game plan that fits your players

set high standard with organisation and preparation for training and games.
    by you raising the standard players will rise to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Thank you.
    Managing players can be difficult. Each squad will be made up of a large variety of different personalities so knowing how to tailor some things to different personality types is vital for success.
    Dont bull**** players or they'll not respect you.
    What kind of coaching team are with you. You are head coach and you say you're physio and are S&C qualified but how many others are supporting you??
    That can help you in how you deal with players if there's several to share the tough jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Be ruthless, take no prisoners.

Advertisement