Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Molly's Game

• 15-08-2017 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭

Aaron Sorkin's directorial debut starring Jessica Chastain.
    Based on the true story of Molly Bloom, an Olympic-class skier who ran the world's most exclusive high-stakes poker game for a decade before being arrested in the middle of the night by 17 FBI agents wielding automatic weapons. Her players included Hollywood royalty, sports stars, business titans and finally, unbeknownst to her, the Russian mob. Her only ally was her criminal defense lawyer Charlie Jaffey, who learned that there was much more to Molly than the tabloids led us to believe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Looks excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Aaron Sorkin's
    Well, I'm sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Second trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,833 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I predict Oscar noms for Aaron Sorkin and Jessica Chastain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Hmmmmm just because sorkin is involved doesn't mean it has Oscar potential.

• Advertisement

Saw it tonight and loved it. I've heard reviews that said it was too talky and too long, but I don't agree with either. It was very entertaining, Chastain was fantastic and the supporting cast were all top notch (Chris O'Dowd was a bit strange though).

There were two stand-out scenes near the end - the one in the park was superbly written.

I'm going to get the book too.

I'd love to see this get a few nominations in the Oscars (best screenplay and best actress at the very least).

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭tony stark

Looks brutal from the trailer. I hate the “we talk so fast and snappy, we’re so kweel” conversation snippets. Did Sorkin write “the west wing”? , it looks like that rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Saw it last night and its a cracking film. Jessica chastain has the oscar in the bag so paddy power would be wise to suspend all betting asap. Idris elba is also very good as is kevin costner who seems to be having something of a career rivival playing father figures. My only gripe is that it wouldve been an even better film if sorkin hadve handed over the directing reigns to someone like david fincher because at times he seems to let things losen up a little. But anyway its still very good and today i bought the book so they got my money both ways.

tony stark wrote: »
    Looks brutal from the trailer. I hate the “we talk so fast and snappy, we’re so kweel” conversation snippets. Did Sorkin write “the west wing”? , it looks like that rubbish

There should be a new superhero movie out soon, don't worry.

Mr E wrote: »
    There should be a new superhero movie out soon, don't worry.

Ha! The dialogue is pretty similar from Sorkin as it is in a Marvel movie so no thanks! Just expressing an opinion that I don’t like his style. It’s pseudo intellectual. Just an opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

Went with the Mrs last night to the cinema and as there was nothing else on picked this without having a clue who was in it or what it was about so was not expecting a whole lot from it. Boy was I wrong, great film in my opinion. Defo 8/10 stuff and worth a watch. Id love to know the real names of the players in the poker games though..... Jessica chastain is very good in it and not hard on the eye either..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Glebee wrote: »
    Went with the Mrs last night to the cinema and as there was nothing else on picked this without having a clue who was in it or what it was about so was not expecting a whole lot from it. Boy was I wrong, great film in my opinion. Defo 8/10 stuff and worth a watch. Id love to know the real names of the players in the poker games though..... Jessica chastain is very good in it and not hard on the eye either..

A lot of the players are known. The stories of some of the other players are just as insane! The not famous players are probably more interesting than the familiar names.

Off to see this on Sunday looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Glebee wrote: »

Tobey Maguire and Leo DiCaprio were both Player X (who was actually a few different people) - wanting fish to play with them then.

Really enjoyable movie - the two and a bit hours flew. Something very charming about Idris Elba.. v likable guy.

Jessica Chastain was brilliant as always

I went to see it this afternoon and loved it I was actually thinking Player X was Ben Affleck.

Jessica Chastain always has a feel of old time Hollywood to me.

Interview with the real Molly Bloom

Is it worth a watch? Detest Sorkins dialogue normally. Too America, fast talking, cheesy, I’m so clever rhetoric rubbish but I’m stuck for. something to see with the mrs Saturday. Is it different to the trailers? Don’t think I could manage 2 hours of brutal quips and those knowing glances at the brilliance of what a character has just said!

tony stark wrote: »
    Is it worth a watch? Detest Sorkins dialogue normally. Too America, fast talking, cheesy, I’m so clever rhetoric rubbish but I’m stuck for. something to see with the mrs Saturday. Is it different to the trailers? Don’t think I could manage 2 hours of brutal quips and those knowing glances at the brilliance of what a character has just said!

I would look for something else to be honest. I'd probably go with all the money in the world or three billboards over Molly's game.

I went to see it this afternoon and loved it I was actually thinking Player X was Ben Affleck.

It's likely they were being quite liberal with exactly who it was but it was Maguire who was the main big name in the actual game the majority of the time. In the book she is pretty positive of most of the other players but absolutely tears into Maguire. To base it on anyone else would be a bit of a departure and a few things in the film that player x does are done by Maguire in the book. If any of the regs at the game were going to be referred to as playing a superhero it definitely would have been him over the rest at the time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

Its defo worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭misstearheus

I actually just spotted this Thread on the front page of Boards yesterday and I had saw a Clip for this Movie and thought it looked really good and would love to go but have no-one to go with! Is there any Thread in this Section to see if any peeps would like to accompany others to a Movie if they're in the same area or anything like that?!? :o:)

I went on my own this afternoon and had the whole cinema to myself.

I love when that happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

tunguska wrote: »
    Saw it last night and its a cracking film. Jessica chastain has the oscar in the bag so paddy power would be wise to suspend all betting asap.

Lol, I'll take any bet you want on that, you can have 50/1. I enjoyed the film a lot but she hasn't a hope of winning best actress.

Yeah player X is pretty much Tobey Maguire.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,083 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Very enjoyable with some solid performances. As a former poker player it has some of the most realistic poker I’ve seen on film. A good start to the season film wise.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Very enjoyable with some solid performances. As a former poker player it has some of the most realistic poker I’ve seen on film. A good start to the season film wise.

Apart from the bit where the pot is ~1.3m and then post flop it goes bet 200k then raise to 300k!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Thoroughly flawless and entertaining film

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

That trailer is incredibly annoying, but this looks like a good film with an interesting story.

Yeah I didn't think the trailer was good either, and like I said I enjoyed it but it was far from flawless.

My main gripe is that it is narrated straight through from beginning to end, instead of just showing what's happening they show you and tell you at the same time. That's fine in small doses but this was all through. If you read any of the book it was even worse because it was like having someone read out a book you already read, while acting it out as well.

Also the film and book really tries to paint Molly in a positive light and I'd say she did a lot more shady stuff that wasn't put in. She's on drugs but you never seen a drug dealer or anyone else doing them (i guarantee there was plenty of sniffing/pills in a game like that with those rich dudes). And I highly doubt she just let people off debts without some kind of pressure. You can't keep paying winners while letting losers welch like it showed.

Strange as well that she had no romantic entanglements whatsoever the entire time, even if as she says she wouldn't date the players (which I dunno if I believe), she has all these daddy issues but is single for years on end?

Some stuff about Tobey Maguire that didn't make it in the movie but was in the book: the Shufflemaster machine they used wasn't bought by Molly. Maguire bought it and insisted they start using it because he was afraid players would think he was cheating because he won so much. He used to bring it to the game. Then he told Molly he was going to start charging rent on it at 200 bucks a week, after it was himself who insisted on using it.

And they really should have put this in: he once made a show of Molly trying to force her to jump up on a desk and bark like a seal for a 1k tip, and when she refused that is when he started going against her. Dunno why they left that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

Yeah I didn't think the trailer was good either, and like I said I enjoyed it but it was far from flawless.

My main gripe is that it is narrated straight through from beginning to end, instead of just showing what's happening they show you and tell you at the same time. That's fine in small doses but this was all through. If you read any of the book it was even worse because it was like having someone read out a book you already read, while acting it out as well.

Also the film and book really tries to paint Molly in a positive light and I'd say she did a lot more shady stuff that wasn't put in. She's on drugs but you never seen a drug dealer or anyone else doing them (i guarantee there was plenty of sniffing/pills in a game like that with those rich dudes). And I highly doubt she just let people off debts without some kind of pressure. You can't keep paying winners while letting losers welch like it showed.

Strange as well that she had no romantic entanglements whatsoever the entire time, even if as she says she wouldn't date the players (which I dunno if I believe), she has all these daddy issues but is single for years on end?

Some stuff about Tobey Maguire that didn't make it in the movie but was in the book: the Shufflemaster machine they used wasn't bought by Molly. Maguire bought it and insisted they start using it because he was afraid players would think he was cheating because he won so much. He used to bring it to the game. Then he told Molly he was going to start charging rent on it at 200 bucks a week, after it was himself who insisted on using it.

And they really should have put this in: he once made a show of Molly trying to force her to jump up on a desk and bark like a seal for a 1k tip, and when she refused that is when he started going against her. Dunno why they left that out.

I agree with the notion that we're getting a lot of this from Molly's point of view and it basically paints her as the smartest person in any room. I imagine part of her reasoning for not naming names was more for safety than anything else.

Chastain was extremely good in the role but that's it. There was nothing that set off "Oscar" alarms. Personally I have a gripe with people getting awards for playing real life characters with copious amounts of source material over fictional characters who have to develop a character.

One part that may have been lacking was explaining poker/hold'em. I was fine with all the terms as I've played but my significant other was lost.

Overall an enjoyable film in which Tobey Maguire (definitely him) comes off as an insufferable, obnoxious ass. 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭bnt

tunguska wrote: »
    Saw it last night and its a cracking film. Jessica chastain has the oscar in the bag so paddy power would be wise to suspend all betting asap.
    Not so fast: she's up against the likes of Saoirse Ronan (Lady Bird), Margot Robbie (I, Tonya), and Frances McDormand (Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri). The latter already has an Oscar to her name, but that hasn't stopped Meryl Streep from picking up a few. And Streep will be in there too, for The Post. :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

jimmii wrote: »
    Apart from the bit where the pot is ~1.3m and then post flop it goes bet 200k then raise to 300k!

What about the hand where Mr X made the guy that had the nuts fold :rolleyes:

Loved the movie

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    What about the hand where Mr X made the guy that had the nuts fold :rolleyes:

Loved the movie

Yeah that was actually explained all wrong. 'The Nuts' doesn't mean just the best hand between whoever is playing. The nuts means that based on the board, it is the highest hand that anyone could possibly make. If you have the nuts you are unbeatable no matter what the other guy is holding so you would never fold no matter what, and in fact in most games it is illegal to fold or check the nuts on the river as such play could indicate collusion.

And just to put this Chastain Oscar talk to bed, check the odds on paddy power and you'll see what her chances are. McDormand has it in the bag. Ronan only won the golden globe (she was 1/3 odds on) because for that she was in the comedy or musical category, now that she has to go against Frances forget it. Jessica was good but not an Oscar performance, and as I said in a previous post a gambling movie ain't beating a mother who is fighting for justice to a rapist movie.

Advertisement