Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's my ball and you can't play.

Options
  • 12-01-2018 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭

Interesting move by Dublin GAA

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/dublin-gaa-take-back-gym-gear-from-gaa-national-development-centre-36480868.html

Dublin GAA has taken back the gym equipment that the county had funded and installed at the GAA's National Development Centre in Abbotstown.
    It is not clear why the decision was taken but it's understood that Dublin had not been satisfied with the access times some of their squads and players were getting to it.

The facility, which was officially opened in April 2016, has been used extensively by counties and clubs for development and challenge games. Earlier this month Dublin and Meath met in a Bord na Móna Walsh Cup match at the venue.
    Around the time of the official opening, it emerged that Dublin, under the direction of their high performance director Bryan Cullen, had approached the GAA and entered into an agreement to fund and procure high-specification equipment for the floor space available within the building.

The GAA insisted that such an offer, which was made by Dublin on the basis that the facility was located within their reach, would not give the county "proprietary claims".
    That followed an insistence at the official opening that there would be no anchor tenants. And that's how it has transpired with the gym now without equipment.

The gym was never a priority for Abbotstown where plans have focused on development and learning and are expected to progress this year.
    Dublin development and underage squads had primarily been using the facility but it involved usage by the senior squads from time to time. However, this arrangement is now at an end.

It is anticipated that the GAA will now fund the installation of new equipment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I genuinely don't get the point of the set up in Abbotstown when I'd say every county within a reachable distance of it has adequate facilities for training and development squads already

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

rpurfield wrote: »
    I genuinely don't get the point of the set up in Abbotstown when I'd say every county within a reachable distance of it has adequate facilities for training and development squads already

Quite a few counties use it as a base for their Dublin based players. It prevents players havin a 7/8 hour round trip to training at this time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

they host blitzes during the summer
    eg last year every U12 hurling club in Leinster got the chance to play games there.

Yeah but that's stuff that can be done in most decent sized clubs lads. It's well known that lads working in Dublin but playing down the country meet up to train for years, it didn't need a massive expensive development to cater for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Yeah but that's stuff that can be done in most decent sized clubs lads. It's well known that lads working in Dublin but playing down the country meet up to train for years, it didn't need a massive expensive development to cater for them.

There's a little bit more to the Abbotstown development than that.

• Advertisement

There's a little bit more to the Abbotstown development than that.

Not from the way they advertise it on the GAA website really

Advertisement