Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N72 - Ballymaquirke Cross [construction to commence in 2022]

• 08-09-2017 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭

Ballymcquirke cross N72 North Cork.

There you go

How do I know?

Two local Councillors say it is.

Is there an election coming?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I was going to suggest it too! It's very dangerous in the morning and evening when people are rushing to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

It is a desperate junction it's true. Not the most dangerous though I'm sure.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I would agree that it's quite dangerous - especially on rainy/dark evenings as it's unlit.

Would a roundabout be a good suggestion?

yes or some traffic calming if there isn't room

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

Lazy man's attitude here. I'm from North Cork is it the one for Kilavullen on the Fermoy Mallow road?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Lazy man's attitude here. I'm from North Cork is it the one for Kilavullen on the Fermoy Mallow road?
    No it's the N72/R579 junction south of Kanturk about 2km north of Banteer.

marno21 wrote: »
    No it's the N72/R579 junction south of Kanturk about 2km north of Banteer.

Thanks. As above cant see why a roundabout wouldnt work there tbf.

A roundabout and a new bridge over the River Allow just east of this junction would be a great help here and would make the area much safer.

The N72 could do with a bit of realignment between the Kanturk junction east of here (R576) and Killarney, especially west of Rathmore. It's a shocking road for large parts of it, with 4/5 dangerous bridges (2x railway bridges & 3x river bridges)

that bit of road has been extensively rebuilt in the past few years Jimmy.

A roundabout and a new bridge over the River Allow just east of this junction would be a great help here and would make the area much safer.

The N72 could do with a bit of realignment between the Kanturk junction east of here (R576) and Killarney, especially west of Rathmore. It's a shocking road for large parts of it, with 4/5 dangerous bridges (2x railway bridges & 3x river bridges)

there's been a few improvements made and generally the road isn't too bad for a secondary N road. It used to be the main route from Rosslare to Killarney but nowadays the investment and the signage favours the road via Cork City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Can anyone post a street view link?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Can anyone post a street view link?

Dropped pin
    near N72, Dromcummer Beg, Co. Cork

https://goo.gl/maps/oBKC2TCiY3S2

Looks innocuous like that, but the sightlines aren't great and the N72 traffic is fast moving, added to which there are a lot of conflicting movements to and from the side roads (which actually form the Kanturk to Cork City road and also are used by a lot of North to West traffic avoiding Cork City (from Charleville to Macroom via Millstreet). In addition that bridge to the immediate east is Black Spot which has seen many an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Truckermal wrote: »
    Dropped pin
    near N72, Dromcummer Beg, Co. Cork

https://goo.gl/maps/oBKC2TCiY3S2

You could easily fit a roundabout in there

there's space but there might be a lot of drainage and flood issues. That entire junction sometimes floods to a depth of a foot or so. I recall a car washed off the road which nearly ended up in the Blackwater, with it's driver sitting on the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,981 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Junctions aren't dangerous. Drivers are dangerous.

Isambard wrote: »
    that bit of road has been extensively rebuilt in the past few years Jimmy.

I know. Still gives me the heebie jeebies coming on it though. Lots of slow drivers on the clutch coming out of it and me making time on the main road.

Cork County Council are looking to have the junction grade seperated - well I suppose you may as well aim high and see how you get on

I would much rather a roundabout and a realignment of a few km either side of the junction especially the dirty bridge about 250m east of this junction.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/corkman/news/flyover-may-be-solution-to-lethal-road-junction-36475594.html

For N72 users, Kerry County Council have begun planning work of a realignment near Stagmount, between Rathmore and Barraduff, which should bring some relief to a shocking stretch of road (that was actually improved in the 1990s).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Ballymcquirke cross N72 North Cork.

There you go

How do I know?

Two local Councillors say it is.

Is there an election coming?

It's the fools coming from Banteer to Kanturk and vice Versa that make it dangerous, stop and check for traffic FFS.

in my experience, that doesn't happen....the problem is people passing thought the junction on the N72 at full 100km/h speed, totally legal of course, but sometimes people misjudge their speed.. Traffic calming and a speed restriction would be a cheap fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Cork County Council are looking to have the junction grade seperated - well I suppose you may as well aim high and see how you get on

I would much rather a roundabout and a realignment of a few km either side of the junction especially the dirty bridge about 250m east of this junction.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/corkman/news/flyover-may-be-solution-to-lethal-road-junction-36475594.html

For N72 users, Kerry County Council have begun planning work of a realignment near Stagmount, between Rathmore and Barraduff, which should bring some relief to a shocking stretch of road (that was actually improved in the 1990s).

You'd rather a roundabout to grade separated?

Some of these N-route grade separated junctions work very well. I'm thinking N2 Carrickmacross for example.

sdanseo wrote: »
    You'd rather a roundabout to grade separated?

Some of these N-route grade separated junctions work very well. I'm thinking N2 Carrickmacross for example.

I think a roundabout would be sufficient given traffic volumes. There are very few similar grade seperated junctions in the country, it would require several million funding, its right beside the River Blackwater SAC etc. The road around this junction was very prone to flooding in the past before remedial measures were taken. If this junction was to be grade seperated lowering either of the roads is out of the question, so there would have to be substantial embankments built. It would be quite costly and its funding that isn't going to be given to such a scheme. The equivilant money could probably get you most of the Mallow relief road.

O'Rourkes Cross is a similarly bad junction on the N20 with higher traffic volumes and its getting a roundabout.

The N72 from Mallow to Rathmore requires a lot of work and there are several bridges between this junction and Killarney that could do with replacing for a start (2x railway bridges west of Rathmore, narrow bridge about 1km east of Barraduff, narrow bridge approx 500m east of Cloonbanin R577 junction)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I think a roundabout would be sufficient given traffic volumes. There are very few similar grade seperated junctions in the country, it would require several million funding, its right beside the River Blackwater SAC etc.

O'Rourkes Cross is a similarly bad junction on the N20 with higher traffic volumes and its getting a roundabout.

The N72 from Mallow to Rathmore requires a lot of work and there are several bridges between this junction and Killarney that could do with replacing for a start (2x railway bridges west of Rathmore, narrow bridge about 1km east of Barraduff, narrow bridge approx 500m east of Cloonbanin R577 junction)

I'm a terrible opponent of roundabouts with roads of unequal volume and priority. They slow the main route down and often stop it where it should have the right of way and it can be difficult to join from the more minor road due to volume on the main.

sdanseo wrote: »
    I'm a terrible opponent of roundabouts with roads of unequal volume and priority. They slow the main route down and often stop it where it should have the right of way and it can be impossible to join from the more minor road due to volume on the main.

P.S. I edited my last post.

The R579 roads in both instances at the junction are busy because a lot of people use the R579 to get to Cork. Most of this is straight through or left turning traffic and a lot of N72E -> R579 with right turns. There are no filter lanes at the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

The junction onto the n20 at rathduff.
    Then again junctions arent the danger. Its crap drivers, frustrated, arrogant, inexperienced, entitled that are the danger imho.

Yes the R579 is almost as busy as the N72 as, as said, it is the shortest route from that point to Cork (although I always go via Mallow....)

The problem is there is very little room to widen either road, there are no verges and many overhanging trees, making visibility very poor. Pulling out across the N72 isn't pleasant particularly especially with cars trying to do the same from the opposite direction. Traffic flow isn't really that high and the problem could be solved by just slowing the N72 traffic a little and improving sight-lines. Staggering the R579 would help if that can be achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

in my experience, that doesn't happen....the problem is people passing thought the junction on the N72 at full 100km/h speed, totally legal of course, but sometimes people misjudge their speed.. Traffic calming and a speed restriction would be a cheap fix.

The N72 is straight both sides of the junction the bridge on the mallow side slows the traffic as it is a black spot. I've crossed that junction many times and you can easily judge traffic coming from both sides.

that bridge is another problem ,I agree, but there is a problem with Ballymacquirke despite what you say. I'm also a regular user of it. It's a dreadful junction, and is the worst one I come across, I can't really say if it;s the worst in Ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I think this one may be gone (or going soon) but the M22/A6 junction up north was a riot.

https://goo.gl/maps/Wc5k2xuMisx

Coming westbound, end of motorway running directly into a dual carriageway that immediately becomes single lane, you have to get into the overtaking lane and turn right across two lanes of traffic who are accelerating from a single lane onto the motorway. Dreadful.

https://goo.gl/maps/ScUnqsNTSzo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Junctions aren't dangerous. Drivers are dangerous.

Not so.. both can be as bad as the other.

Sticking with the Cork theme, take the N28 coming from the N40 towards Carrigaline. Close to the end of this stretch you have a merge for traffic from Douglas.

The merge is a rather steep uphill and signed as 80 km/h. The mainline is 100 km/h. The entire thing is on a bend and immediately before a significantly worse stretch with narrower lanes, poor road surface, and sharper bends.

The result then is you have cars coming around the bend on the mainline at 100 km/h (or more), and cars joining the lane at maybe only 60-80 km/h.. it's ridiculous!

Advertisement