Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Wine Show is now on Channel 5

• 10-01-2018 9:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,130 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.channel5.com/show/the-wine-show/

Season 2 of the wine show returns on Friday to Channel 5, having previously aired on ITV.

Wine critic Jancis Robinson & actor James Purefoy (Rome) join the cast and the setting moves from Italy to France.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,130 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They were certainly operating in the luxury lifestyle space rather than the regular wine on TV which is what wine to buy this week in the supermarket...

Some of it could be OTT, I think the banter in the cast between Joe and the two Matthews made the indulgence of it all tolerable (for me at least).

There's probably a middle ground type programme missing which would be more educational about different types of wine, comparing Pinot Noir from New Zealand or California versus Burgundy ... without necessarily comparing the most expensive elite bottles available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,130 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think there was a bit of that, more in the early days.

And I never really got the whole tasting 'bingo' thing... do you taste tobacco, do you taste X.

I am looking for things at a more basic level - dry v sweet, fruity, mineral, oaked or not, light or powerful. If it's a Pinot Noir from Chile say, is it going for a Burgundy or New world style.

I think most people when looking to buy are thinking more about whether it is good on its own or with food or either, and what foods...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Melendez wrote: »

So leave out "taste" and concentrate on the academic stuff? How does that make any sense? If you want a program to be relevant then taste is all that matter. as for teh "tobacco" reference... I've known people who were drawn to a particular wine because it had notes of tobacco! Ex smokers. It actually put me off a bit. It's relevant.

• Advertisement

Advertisement